Jackswifts - Red Queen's Army - GH XL Entry Gargantuan Bull Centaur Render Musician

Batg helps most definitely. I usually finish what I’m working on before moving forward. I also try to switch between a unit and a large model. For me that gives enough variation to keep me going

2 Likes

Id batch dry brush the bases and maybe brown shoes or axe hafts. I just have to feel the sense of accomplishment often or it feels too much like a hard grind. Ive tried batch painting gobbos for years. Painted way more in 1s-2s faster and to a better standard with less brush wrecking…(maybe?)

The best bit about painting for me is putting the finished model in the glass cabinet. Just aim for minimum useable regiment and add 1 here and there. 10 becomes 20. Its almost a suprise when i get there. Im turning my 20s into 40s now. As each model is different its fine and rewarding. Maybe ill have an army to rival zanko one day :hashut:

2 Likes

I know he has the 10k badge but I have no clue as to what he actually has :slight_smile:

Whip your printer a bit and you’ll be there in no time!

Printing isn’t the issue… painting it is :rofl:

3 Likes

Related to the Image Gallery updates, I am working to get several pieces of my army that have not been seen or are only on the old CDO forum updated here.

Monsters - I.

1. K’daai Destroyer, Greater Obsidian Golem, or Greater Earth Elemental
    CDO Forum Link - K’Daai Destroyer images/build notes

My entry for the Artisans XXVII Contest to build a Chaos Dwarf “Monument”. This model works well as a Chaos Dwarf statue on the table top, but can also fill the role of multiple monsters on the table top depending on the game system in use:

14 Likes

Golden Hat XXXVII Entry - Hobgoblin Khan on Giant Wolf-Rat

Warning - Pic heavy (as my posts tend to be)

Below is my entry for Golden Hat XXXVII, in its initial conversion stages. As many of you well know, Hobgobs are probably my least favorite part of CD lore. In part because they typically lack the steam-mech-armor-stone-fire elements that draw me to the models and fuel my conversion ideas. I struggled to decide what specifically to build, and while I have a few other ideas that will see the light of day another year, what I ultimately I was finally able to get excited was due to a packing error. Goblinoid models make up a very small part of my collection, but I’ve had a sealed NIB Rackham Confrontation Baron Ozhon 2.0 model sitting in my collection for years (even came very near to selling it). I decided it might be a good place to start, but was initially very disappointed when I opened it. The model should look like this:

However, due to a packing error likely a decade distant, both the sword and gun arms of the model were completely missing, as well as the arm holding the haft of the open umbrella, leaving me the closed umbrella arm, the open umbrella top, and an additional arm not in the picture holding a sort of jousting spear. The missing pieces killed my fervor for the model.

It was only with the addition of the hats of @Fuggit_Khan to the potential prizes that I again decided to make the attempt with roughly a week remaining. Eventually I came back around to this model and while trying to decide what to do with the arms, I realized the missing arms were a great opportunity for conversion and begin scrounging bits. The missing right arm was replaced with a socket to hold the umbrella (essential on the battlefield to keep off the blistering northern sun). I chopped up a Wrath of Kings Shael Han model (this guy):

WoK Shael Han

for the sword, stack, socket, and backpack. The second right steam saw blade arm is from an old Mage Knight Blade Golem, and is actually attached to the backpack behind and lower (abdomen level) than the socket arm. The result is clearer to see in the build and primed pics below than it is in the final painted version (a testament that I always have alot to improve on re painting):

The left arm came from the jousting spear arm (sans hand), and the umbrella haft is the jousting spear customized to allow the open umbrella top to slip on. The last step was the sashimo (bit from?), because every samurai-esque assassin Khan needs a sashimo:

A few PIP shots to show the arm bit clearly:

And finally the painted model, including some additional shots from other angles. I was down to the wire on the last night of the contest, and could easily have spent several more hours on the model. There are many places clearly evident in several of the close in shots that need work:

Hope you enjoy, and thank you very much for the votes! The Rackham models are always quite fun to convert and paint with so much visual interest sculpted into them. Now, I need to acquire some more Rackham “Strohm Knights” to complete a unit of these.

15 Likes

Great entry, I voted for it. I toyed with buying these mounted models several times over the years. Cadwallon still sell them. I like the bright colours and the baron really stood out as a unique personality to me. I’d love to see you complete a regiment of them. Great job!

3 Likes

Really nice. Great to see hobos go steampunk too! I also can’t wait for a regiment of these.

3 Likes

I’m glad that my Big Hats were enough to encourage you to enter. It’s a really good entry, and it was in my last minute choices for voting.
I hadn’t realized how many bits you cobbled together from so many different miniatures…very clever and seamless. I honestly thought it was just one model that I’d never seen before.
And kudos for the samurai influence :+1:

3 Likes

This was my 2nd favorite, only because it was lower on the list. I love this model! well done mate! well done!

1 Like

I fell in love with this one the moment I saw it. I can honestly say I’ve never seen anything quite like it, so quirky and weird, and that parasol is just the icing on the cake.

3 Likes

Thanks for the comments, Gentlemen! I am glad to hear that the model choice and execution was appreciated. I wasn’t sure how great a fit to the theme it was. Perfect from my perspective, but my army composition and style tends to be non-conformist:

My goal is always to achieve as seamless a look as I can, but I do not use greenstuff on my conversions, so the comment is that much more appreciated!

“Quirky and wierd” is exactly where I was going. I thought the concept of the parasol was comical on the original model, and the inclusion as a replacement for a severed limb made it even more absurd, but still, somehow fitting for a downtrodden, but power grubbing hobgoblinoid mindset

I fully intend to do at least a unit of 5. I’‘ve had my eye on the Cadwallon models for some time. My sticking point has been that they are resin. I’'m so old school in some ways that I prefer converting on metal models to converting resin. Metal seldom snaps from deliberate intent to screw what you were trying to do… the way that resin does. Still, I see more Hobgoblin Wolf-Rat riders in my future.

4 Likes

Man, I thought I replied to your post!
You had my vote instantly, you had me at confrontation at one instant.
That game bring much better memories than WHFB to me, I enjoyed so much losing with my wolfen and then going crazy with cadwallon.

I knew well the model you were entering, all that range of goblin is amazing, those on the mono wheel thing, and the samurai ogres are amazing

The color scheme reminded me a lot of the original art work, but with a 2020 take on it. Such great model, truly
I fell in love immediately, bravo Jack!!

4 Likes

Lovely choice of bits, lovely conversion and lovely paintjob. What’s not to like here?

A memorable model!

1 Like

Back on the Chaos Dwarf painting/modelling horse. Slow, but at least continuous progress. First, a unit that is nearing completion (and may actually get finished… possibly). I have found my paint schemes are slowly evolving from what started as fairly muted tones to something quite a bit more colourful. Some of this is paint related. My 10 year old GW paints were drying and becoming difficult to reactivate every single time I wanted to paint something so I switched to an Army Painter set which I dislike for multiple reasons, but have learned to use. Recently I picked up a Scale 75 set which are working beautifully. So my paints are a mix of the three + a lesser number of Vallejo, P3, and Reaper paints. You can see the difference between old an newer schemes in @Admiral 's wonderful priestess sculpt next to the unit. The purples on the beards and hair is a new direction… I’m finding the result stands out nicely:

Been doing a few touch ups and moding her to have a magnetic base so I can have her mounted or standalone. May also update the hair to purple tones:

Also concurrently working on basing my Titan Wargames decimator unit, and WIP paint on a unit of counts as Obsidian Golems (KoW units). Her skin tone is nowhere near final:

A little progress is always a good thing.
Cheers!

17 Likes

You certainly are an individual of refined taste. So this makes two recycled blade golems if I’m not mistaken? Perhaps there are more yet to be looted?

My eyeballs can’t repel childhood bits sourcing of this magnitude.

I still have a Red blade golem and a Storm golem kicking around somewhere… however my bread and butter are the 1 (or 9) steam golems I accrued.

2 Likes

Ha, yup, two so far. I’ll have to acquire some more. I have several other mage knight golems for bits, but none are as useful as the blade arms on that particular model. Great bits on some of the models in that line. Still trying to figure out how to fit a unit of mechanical dragonfly riders into my army somehow…

The idea comes first, then I have to go figure out what models will be sacrificed to feed the new creations. That blade golem has been waiting in the wings for quite some time. Though my wife would disagree, it helps to have a large pool of collected unfinished models to work from.

2 Likes

Been a while since I’ve posted here, but hope to do some actual gaming in the not to distant future so should be working up several outstanding units.

But first my Golden Hat XXXVIII Entry. These guys have actually been on my desk for a while. I worked these conversions up as crew when I built the Nautiloid Submersible but never got to laying paint. The concept is a couple of K’daai or Fire golems fitted out with ensorcelled suits for underwater work. Their heat is channeled to power the suits and heat the weapon edges (Think underwater welding heat), and their handler in a CD dive suit. One way valves allow steam to release into the water. A limited time underwater, but effective for repelling borders and cutting through hulls from underneath to sink enemy ships in shallow water for salvage.

Only have WIP photos of the Chaos Dwarf in the dive suit. I picked up a small number Privateer Press Khador ManOWar and Demo Corps models cheap a while back and they’ve been kicking around my bits box since. The dive suit started as one. I chopped the legs down to just thigh and feet but as you can see the first iteration was still too tall:

So I the also chopped off the pipes and ball in the joint and mounted thigh armor directly to the bottom of the suit. So much better on height:

The arms on the CD are also chopped slightly between that shoulder and elbow. I combined the shoulder pads for a shield. And chopped up the two handed cannon + a small cut of aluminum tube to make a large single hand-mini cannon. Leaving the shoulder and elbow joints bare heightens the dive suit look.

The fire golem/k’daai suits are original Titan Forge Sons of Krashen Va ‘Chosen’ models minorly converted.

On one the axe haft was extended with styrene tube, and the flaming skull head was cut down to be more flush with the neck opening. Left the head cover off, and added a few hafts sticking out of his back from combat. On the other I used a GW brazier flame for the head and then enclosed it under the eye view piece from a smaller scale Pegasus Hobbies Nautilus model that I gutted for bits sometime ago.

You’ll notice bits of grit and corrosion on the K’daai/Fire Golem models. I base coated these at the same time as I base coated the Nautiloid, and used a similar technique with the sand to give them a few spots where the saltwater and heat has started to build up and corrode the paint and metal:

Plan to upsize the basing a bit and add 3 more models to make a unit. Cheers, JR

18 Likes

These are lovely painted, very original idea. Very steam punk to fit in with other elements of your army. The shortest one wouldn’t look out of place in a chaos squat army too

2 Likes