Jackswift's Semi Historical Spartan Army

Starting another Army. Some of you might remember my SoBH Harryhausen themed warband from the old forum. I’ve been randomly collecting models for a related Ancient Greek themed army since I painted that force. I plan to play them using the Kings of War Historical rules. I should have enough units with what I’ve collected to do a 2k pt force with 500-750pts worth of swappable models if I want to make the force into a quasi fantasy force with units from Greek mythology. Some of the mythical units will draw their origin more from early Greek myth based stop motion movies than from mythology.

A few years back, one of the lots I picked up was a partially assembled Greek troop lot of about 60 models on eBay. Early last year I finished assembly on the lot, then it sat on my short list, but unfinished the remainder of 2022

Dec 2022 I painted up a few units worth of test models. I only finished 3-4 of them, but the remainder will be done before end of month. What you see here is a combination of the following:

1. Around 70 Wargames Factory and other manufacturer troops. Mostly assembled. Mostly spear and swordsmen in varying states of armor to represent Leavy, Standard, and Heavy units. 12 models test paint in progress

2. Wargames Factory Amazon’s. Mostly unbuilt. 2 built with bows. Now OOp and hard to find models, but the armor matches the Greek styling. 2 models test paint in progress

3. Dreamforge Temple Guard with spears. Will likely play as a heavy spearmen unit. The unit commander is a Reaper bones conversion. 3 models test paint in progress

4. Tale of War Spartans which will be expanded into a larger unit to be again played as Royal Guard. 3 models test paint in progress

5. A Darklands Talos and Hydra from the original KS

6. A couple of Reaper bones Storm Giants

7. 12 cavalry Victrix, 12 centaurs (lt cavalry), and 12 fauns (skirmishers; a mix of models I had, some from the centaur sprue, Reaper bones, and several older models that are missing heads and such); unassembled; will likely convert a unit or two of troops to heavy centaur cavalry (still need to pick up horse bits for that; have everything else)

8. Some giant scorpions; per the Harryhausen Clash of the Titans. Have 2 (still need to pick up other appropriate models)

9. A unit of Kelt Barbarian archers from Confrontation to use as Cretan Archers per the KoW rules

Cheers!

11 Likes

Looks very interesting and I look forward to seeing your army.

1 Like

Great start! Are you planning on magnetizing the round bases to movement trays then?

And as a quick plug for my favorite system, you definitely have enough for a great Saga: Age of Alexander warband!

1 Like

These are already looking so cool!

1 Like

Ah wow, those Tale of War minis look fantastic. I love those minis, sure I have 2 of them stored away for the future.

Love the idea for this army cant wait tot see it unfold

2 Likes

Appreciate the comments, I am quite happy to finally get this army moving. I’ve been fairly stagnant on new armies for several years. Collect and build bits and pieces, but no traction on the paint phase. BATG is providing much needed motivation.

I will have to check it out. These might also find play with Dragon Rampant.

Thank you, Sir! They do make some dynamically posed, excellently detailed models which are fun to paint. I have a couple of others that I hope to get paint on at some point in the reasonable future

1 Like