Legion of Jaskorh [2024-03-31]

I’ve been proceeding toward that. My Chaos Dwarfs are my first army that should be fully base magnetized. A carrying case that is suitably magnetic is an eventual dream.

Hmm… A Magnapult now there’s an idea

1 Like

So for home / long-term storage I have several large IKEA boxes I just lined with ferrofoil, to-go I have an Army Box (currently housing my Night Goblins army). I am very happy with it! A friend of mine built something like that from scratch for a fraction of the cost (obviously), but it’s also not so nice :wink:

(hmmm, apparently only in German, weirdly enough. Seems to be all sold out anyway. I backed their Kickstarter when they launched it…)

3 Likes

The Great Muster continues, and this week sees the might Bull Centaur Renders and terrible K’Daii Fireborn marching forth from the Tower of Jaskorh

Again, I am completely blown away by these sculpts. I already loved the Bull Centaurs from the pictures, but seeing them in the flesh (well, resin) is something else. Just beautiful sculpts. And they are huge! I will have a lot of fun playing them. I have plans to convert three into a command unit, so their weapons and shields are only pinned in place for now. I also order 50x75mm bases from eBay, but they will take a while to arrive. I still wish GW would still at least sell square bases. I mean how much storage space could that need. Even just “made to order” with a two-weeks waiting period would be better than scouring the interwebs for the rarer base sizes…

The K’Daii Fireborn were surprisingly fun to build. They are by far the most variable Legion of Azgorh kits, where you can mix and match “legs”, torsos and weapons. The sculpts are beautiful but quite delicate, lots of tiny chains between the flames, I’ll need some additional practice (and possibly an air brush) before painting them.

8 Likes

massive entry! :chaos2:

2 Likes

The first War Machine leaves the forges of hell: A mighty Iron Daemon War Engine.

I am, again, speechless. I know, it’s getting ridiculous and I can barely keep listening myself to my continuing adoration for this model line, but man, look at this beast! It’s absolutely stunning. Was fun, but also a little challenging, to build as well. Did not feel like a Warhammer model at all, feels much more like a “proper” model kit.

9 Likes

The warmachine train is beautiful isn’t it…

3 Likes

So good! Can’t wait for the carriages :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hashut blesses me with another creation from the forges of hell, the Magma Cannon!

The build was a little fiddlier than the others, a little more warping in the structure. I could get some out, but the cannon remains sitting at a slight tilt. But it’s basically only noticeable from directly above, I guess it’s fine.
This also means the Train o’ Pain has his first carriage

5 Likes

Neat assembly. I just love how the artillery pieces fit together in a train. One of the best concepts for designing a a CD army ever conceived of. I’d personally have liked a little more touch of Hellcannon design in these great miniatures, but they are undoubtedly marvellous pieces for all ages to come.

3 Likes

Oh for sure, that train-concept is great! It’s just a shame that actually building a train has so little tactical use in a game. But concept, style and fluff-wise: It’s just perfect.

I do have plans for using it in a scenario though. There are the ones where one army has a move from one table side to the other and the opponent comes from both flanks to stop that. That’s just perfect for the Iron Daemon train and really plays into it’s rules (with the-train-can-keep-moving-until-the-Iron-Daemon-is-engaged and all)

I get what you mean with the Hellcannon design, the LoA train is very mechanical, not much “daemon” in there. It’s true, the hellish aspect does not really shine through.

2 Likes

Well, train column is great for transport, but would likely be of limited use on most battlefields, except where flat terrain allows the train to keep up a moving broadside, or where enemy ambushes or full army advances see the artillery train move at a pace with the rest of the army. Calculating firing elevation and so on becomes a lot harder on a moving platform. But it looks cool!

A train (especially one with some open infantry cars for blunderbusses/fireglaives, maybe even a sniper turret) would be great to defend from in an ambush, since its elevation gives some much needed advantage and a secure anchor in the mechanized war caravan’s stretched-out column of march. An Iron Daemon might even be able to steam through logs, stones and other obstacles blocking the road, though a wedge-shaped plow would work better for such tasks.

@chitzkoi, @Oxymandias, @ashur & @Fuggit_Khan in case you would have some story-inspiring brainstorming to chip in with, or if this would be of inspirational interest.

Looking forward to see your progress on this army, @Jasko ! :hatoff:

2 Likes

Interesting :thinking: I guess I could convert some open-topped-carriage to fit some blunderbusses for that scenario.

If they had included that in the army list, oh boy. 40k-like-Transport for Warhammer Fantasy. Would have been the greatest thing ever, especially for a slow army like Chaos Dwarfs. Should be fine for a custom scenario though…

1 Like

it has been done before… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh the inspiration :cd1991:

How does the Lost Kingdoms Anzu Cannon actually fit with the train? From the pictures it looks like they adhered to the style.

1 Like

I hear the pain train a’comin, it’s rolling down the track…

Rest assured the Iron Daemon will make its appearance, and leave its mark, before the end of the second arc.

Regarding the slight design dissonance between the Hellcannon and the Azgorh war machines… see it as a product made for export as opposed to the private reserve. Hellcannons are designed to be operated by all sorts of armies in service to the Four or Chaos Undivided, and they have to be attuned as such. By contrast these machines are of and for Hashut. Even when defeated by Tamurkhan, Drazhoath didn’t give his engines over to the Maggot Lord; he and his men jealously held them.

3 Likes

No need to convert/ build unless you want to as open carriages available on ironclad miniatures

1 Like

Interesting, you mean these two?

I guess they would work as a pretty good base, but would still need some converting to properly fit with the steam carriages. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

Hmm ive seen another one somewhere else that had bars up that you could put troops in…
If i find it ill let you know

1 Like

The anzo is scaled down to 70%

9 Likes

Ohhhh yeah, that’s what I was hoping, fits quite well!
Thanks for the comparison shot.

1 Like