Oldhammer, Middlehammer & Newhammer

These are relative terms, and therefore, inherently flawed. This isn’t ancient Egyptian history; GW still exists and therefore newhammer as a descriptor is self-defeating. Although I am obviously shitposting, the major 40k eras Kuanor observes earlier genuinely aligned pretty closely to the 40k logos. They demonstrate ascendancy of different design philosophies that have clear behind-the-scenes style guides (at least, after the company went public).

I think WHFB is harder to pin down and I understand the impulse to use a term like Middlehammer because there is no other name currently extant.

I think Latehammer is inherently superior to Newhammer as a term, if we are restricting the terms to Fantasy, and I think the reasoning is obvious. With a finished corpus of work like Fantasy, relative terms become useful again, excepting Newhammer which remains self-invalidating.

4 Likes

Trading groups may do things differently by extending their year range. The main groups are clear about their span as regards Warhammer Fantasy: Oldhammer forum and Facebook group, and Middlehammer forum and Facebook group.

1 Like

I think Latehammer is inherently superior to Newhammer as a term, if we are restricting the terms to Fantasy, and I think the reasoning is obvious. With a finished corpus of work like Fantasy, relative terms become useful again, excepting Newhammer which remains self-invalidating.

Excellent point, we don’t refer to the Late Dynastic Period of Egyptian history as New Egypt after all :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s why I referred specifically to them. You can use the term New Kingdom because after that you never use the word “New” again because you’re no longer describing the kingdom. By contrast, there’s newhammer every bloody week. Will it never end?!

2 Likes

Alright, alright. English is not my native language. Late seems to be a better fit than New. :smiley:

Good point! It’s just that I’ve heard Newhammer being used before, but Latehammer is new to me. To my Swedish ears who knows English so-so, it sounds a bit like late as in widows or widowers talking about “my late spouse,” as in deceased people. Which may be on point, but I confess that it sounds odd to me, haha.

Cheers

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with your English here! I’ve never heard anyone refer to it as Latehammer before. Chitz is just pointing out that it would be better even though “Newhammer” is the accepted term.

3 Likes