Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet [Mar 16 2024 - A Machine for Pigs]

Great stuff! I wouldn’t mind if we got turned into CD pirates in AoS, that could be so cool… But who knows.
Superb blog stucture as well, I should do something similar when I get going as well. :+1:

1 Like

Oh yeah, maybe some kind of twisted Kharadron. Would make a lot of sense, actually. But would probably be too close to regular kharadron. :thinking:

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to transfer over to Discourse.

1 Like

Great clean paintjob and that wonderful mini, I always thought it was a shame they didn’t build on this for us (still could) so it’s great to see a blog like that has built up everything around such a good starting point

I’d also echo what tjub said about the blog setup, great idea, looking forward to more :vulcan_salute:t2:

1 Like

Time to start transferring over some of my old posts just for the sake of completeness. Apologies for the redundancy.

Whilst this wasn’t the first Chaos Dwarf miniature I owned, he was a fun kick off to my ambitions. I used him as a test model for basing and paint scheme as I switched over to Vallejo. As my first completed Dawi-Zharr it seemed appropriate to write a bit of background lore for him.

4 Likes

Before and after quick conversion of the Black Powder Rebels Iron Rain Hill Giant, a miniature I’ve owned since my childhood days of collecting Mage Knights (direct precursor to my Warhammer obsession). I tried to leave some of the details like the tattoos intact to preserve my nostalgia. Added a few symbols transferred using green stuff in blue stuff moulds and abused my green stuff roller for beardination. Also alongside this project I’ve been messing around with creating army symbols to transfer to other models with blue stuff. At some point I’d like to post a step by step process of making these bases, next time I remember to take pictures at intermediate stages. Side note: an upside down 1x1 LEGO cone makes a quick tall hat. I’ll also never tire of using watch movements and toothed lock washers for detailing.

5 Likes

Work in progress photos of my Golden Hat XXXII entry

Spent many enjoyable hours converting and kitbashing each model in the unit. The idea started off as just a couple of naval repair dwarfs for my daemonsmith’s retinue. When the contest theme was announced I was inspired to try and scratch together a unit. First of all, I’ve always liked the Bioshock aesthetic so top priority was to sneak in a Big Daddy. The angler fish helmet concept spiraled into various other aquatic creature style helmets. Even though they’re not big hats the helmets were my main attempt to depart from the AoS Kharadron look, that and generally adding more steampunk cogs and pointy dark elf bits. Really had to scavenge my bits box to cobble together enough backpacks but overall I think the variation is a plus, hard to pick a favorite.

5 Likes

Painted unit of Bleak Water Divers (Chaos Dwarf Warriors)

Simple but fun paint scheme using mostly Vallejo metals and a little bit of lore to accompany the unit. Tried to keep the scheme from becoming too bright despite the heavy use of metals. Not sure if I’ll bash any more Kharadron models since I used so many of my favorite bits in that range; I certainly enjoyed these ones but I exhausted a lot of the tricks up my sleeve. (I may have to pick up some bits from the airships in the future for big projects though…)

I really appreciate all of the feedback and kind words from everyone, I am happy to be a part of such an inspiring community to share my work.

9 Likes

Wonderful army project, love the journal entries! If only Id been better at drawing Id do the same. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love your big daddy! I’ve made a couple of those myself:

1 Like

Fantastic army! I love the kharadron conversions.

1 Like

Awesome! I considered a Rosie as well. Maybe some day.

1 Like

Here are a few WIP images of my steampunk basing and troop filler. The concept was the deck or internals of an ironclad with a few open vats that would lead to broadside magma cannons or steam boilers (also to tie in the basing of other units in my army). The troop filler pieces are supposed to be a weighted personnel platform to lower divers into the water, a capstan, and a torpedo repair bench.

For materials I used MDF, watch movements, clock gears, wire mesh, various wires, and a Saran Wrap metal tear strip for spiky trim. I also used baking soda sprinkled over superglue to provide a little ashen texture in spots, particularly to break up the larger areas of MDF or cover unsightly gaps. Tossed on a few rivets to finish them off. These were a fun salvage project and well worth the effort (easy to paint too).

2 Likes

First models to test out my new airbrush booth. Cobbled together this DIY project over a weekend. Only had to purchase the filter and the switch (thankfully salvaged an old stove blower which would’ve been the key expense). Quick zenithal prime and basecoat using Vallejo Air paints. Hats off to Admiralty Miniatures. This bazooka team was a blast to paint and it came with tons of extra hats that will certainly be making appearances in my conversions.

6 Likes

My Artisan’s Contest XXIX Entry. Had some fun with this one since I’ve been meaning to start sketching concepts for boats (to eventually start designing some for my 3D printer). Couldn’t let it go by without some accompanying background as well. May just have to convert some berserker models to match at some point.

6 Likes

Great drawing and story. I love the fact that they are risky on long voyages.

1 Like

Well done on the sketch and concept. Had my vote!

1 Like

A little atypical here but a pile of Skaven slaves fell into my lap and I wanted to make use of the filthy little expendable rat-things as slaves for my Dawi-Zharr. What better place to throw them than in the mines or in the holds of slave galleys. Stay tuned for some background lore on their integration.

Skaven certainly present some fun opportunities for conversion and crossover of their haphazard primitive tech with the more infernal devices of the Chaos Dwarfs. One idea was incorporating gas mask heads to represent filtration of the pervasive ash and choking soot in the Dark Lands. In addition to the mining equipment I wanted to add some devices for catching or dealing with the various deadly creatures they might encounter.

I couldn’t resist the idea of a “standard bearer” carrying a nightlight for the scaredy-rats. Neither could I resist a warpstone jackhammer pogo stick riding slave.

The hand pump cart idea started off with just the lever rat but ended up turning into a sort of doom-flayer go-cart which I’m fine with. I leaned right into that skid with the lantern on flagpole and bar/windscreen. The rat in the mine cart was mostly because i ran out of legs and also since I find it suitably Skaven.

4 Likes

Introduction to the chieftain of my offshoot band of rat-things that find themselves in servitude to the Reavers of Uzkulak. The color scheme and location of Clan Krizzor conveniently suited my needs and I went down a decent sized rabbit hole having fun with the unit while testing out painting methods to use on their Dawi-Zharr overlords. As the project expanded I decided to document some of their background and flesh out the motivations behind these enterprising rat-men ultimately doomed by their ambition. Lashikk was a quick conversion again using some 40k Admech/Skitarii bits that fell into my lap along with these old metal poison wind globadiers that I couldn’t bring myself to sell. I may use Lashikk as a Hobgoblin Khan proxy or even just as unit filler.

4 Likes

Okay, last rat-slaves related post (for a while) to bring some of their lore full circle. I never claimed to have laser focus for the hobby… but sometimes the tangent tracks are productive and reinvigorating, especially if they get spun into something useful in post.

Here are some blurbs about how offshoots of Clan Krizzor were lured into slavery by destructive technology and promises of retribution against their fellow Skaven with the Dawi-Zharr subsuming the resources of a weak clan to destabilize more powerful enemies (ideally leading to the annihilation of both).

5 Likes