A barbaric faction of dwarf giants and giant dwarfs would be something to behold.
I think we will, it’s a great idea and seeing the ideas this time has been a real inspiration for myself and others by the looks
As @Oxymandias said just a little last minute for some of us so next year with a good run up will be great one sure
Russian Alternative warriors with blunderbusses based up and ready for priming. Minimal converting here but I like the character of the unit as built.
Had a lot of fun with the troop filler. The blunderbuss turtle was mostly leftover bits from the kit and came together pretty naturally. Could function as a musician with the shell mounted whistle if I wanted to run one. Made a similar black powder stand to the one in my infernal guard unit.
All magnetized and movement tray ready to go, just needs paint!
The blunderbuss turtle is amazing and cute!
Looking really good!
Love what you’ve done with the bases, making it a little diorama
Is that a brass 3d printer nozzle @Reaver?
Whistle thingy is from this gold mine I’ve salvaged a lot of parts from. (Actually might be from another clock but you get the idea)
Here’s my giant doodle from the most recent Artisan’s Contest. Figured that my giant could use a big hat! Truly inspiring slate of entrants as usual!
I did really love how that hat was lowering onto the giant, reminded me of the jousting knights in full plate being lowered onto their horses but WAAAAAY cooler! It was a great idea and well executed I thought, great entry mate
Thanks! I thought it was cool I wasn’t the only one that thought of a siege giant in the middle of the “assembly” process.
I love both your and @Goltor 's assembly art! Great idea to have the hat winched down, and kudos for the god-horns and clever Chaos arrow blunderbuss nests on the tower hat. Very neat stuff!
Been mostly away from CDO for a while so catching up on your thread has been a blast. Especially looking forward to your finished Kdaai Destroyer. Wow! Keep up the awesome work!
Thanks a bunch! Glad to have you back
About time I finished a unit for the Reavers! I definitely found painting these a very different experience compared to the older style Russian Alternative Infernal Guard I painted previously. These ones forced me to put some effort into faces though, I’ve been enjoying learning how to use warcolours translucent violet and translucent flesh.
Who am I kidding though, this unit is all about blundertortoise-bussface.
Looking great!!! Loving the fire effects inside the guns
Credit to @LaketideMiniatures for the motivational blunderbuss posting.
They look brilliant. Well done
a list of Really Cool Things about these
The skulls & command plume really “pop” because of the overall pallet
as everyone will say, your barrel colouring is really special, i’d love to hear what order you painted it in? darks going in from the edge?
their skin tone and eyes make them really evil, what’s your approach for skin?
This skin scheme is a pretty new style to me. Unfortunately I can’t share yet the model that I think best represents what I was aiming for.
- Basecoat with Ushabti Bone before washing with DIY Agrax Earthshade equivalent
- Moosh some transparent violet around to give most of it some tint, being sure to get the deepest areas of the face (this also gives some synergy with my scheme which introduces violet in small ways)
- Hit the raised areas with flesh 5
- If a more important model can layer in some transparent flesh for a slightly different cheek/lip hue (skipped this for the infantry)
- Smaller hit of flesh 2 to the nose and cheeks (although given the hat brim overhang for the cheeks I dumbed the flesh 2 down a bit with flesh 5 mixed in)
Worth noting I work steps 2-5 all approximately during the working time of step 2. @warcolours paint has a great working time for blending. If one of the highlights goes awry I just pick up one of the transparent colors to blend it out.
Had to think about this one. Pretty sure I tried it both ways, both of which started with a stippled white center, and another pass of white in the center of the center. Most I believe were done from dark to light, stippling such that the brush tends to force the lights outward into the darks for blending and not the reverse (don’t wan’t the darker colors to impinge on the center too much). Did this all wet so it was a pretty fluid process.
If going dark to light have to be somewhat careful to wipe the brush a bit before switching to not drag the brightness down. In some cases I definitely revisited with a yellow and a bit of white after the first pass dried to brighten the result.
The red 5 was really just used to tint the leadbelcher outside of the blast region. The majority of the result is carried by the yellow and orange.