This conversion is a work of art!
That is one epic sorcerer! Great use of parts and sculpting.
Oh that looks great! Excited for the paintjob
Agreed! Amazing, love the Fabius Bile (has anyone else just discovered they’ve been saying that wrong for years ) influence with the suringes at the side, love the old school hat in there and that back banner is fantastic where is it from?
It’s fun to look through and guess all the parts
The curled up ‘boots’ and skulls at the end of the beards and the wonderfully designed shoulder pads… its safe to say I’m a big fan of this
Thanks all! Still a good bit of work to do sculpting the plume coming out of his mouth. Then he’ll need a base and a story!
Good ‘I spy’ game for sure. Backpack rack/banner is from the newish GW CSM Lord Discordant. I’m a sucker for the tiny furnace look…
Sorcerer update, been adding to the smoke slowly over the last week. This turned out to be more challenging than I thought but it’s close to the result I was aiming my blunderbuss at hoping for some success. Took inspiration from @tjub Tjubgob characters and the Flaming Scimitar from Dreadfleet.
Cool, this turned out to be one of the more epic characters of late! Great work.
…and glad to be able to inspire.
Love the use of the K’Daai head, calling him finished or more to do?
I touched up a few small areas of the smoke since taking pictures always reveals something. Calling it good for now until I come up with a story, a base, or maybe… a mount!? for him… I feel he needs something suitable to stand on based on the work I’ve put in so far. Can’t stop short for one of my new favorite builds.
Think Id go for a base, a mount might be too busy? But that said, Im sure you can prove me wrong here…
yes I’d like to see him on a nice raised base much like your K’Daai champion, both so that he stands out worthy of the effort you’ve put in but also for convenience (if you play) as the spell will o over most other mini on the board if he’s raised up
All great points. I was considering magnetizing him to some kind of palanquin or altar. So far a sorcerer lord on lamassu conversion concept has been elusive for me despite the wealth of reference material out there… someday something will coalesce on the workbench
Plenty of impressing stuff here, and great realization of the theme!
Oh I like the idea of a palanquin, not done too much either so be nice to see what that would look like
I know what you mean about the Lamassu, now I’ve gone with the newer LoA minis it’s something that been wracking my brain too let us know when you find something
I will certainly report back with lamassu WIPs someday for feedback. It’s such an iconic Chaos Dwarf creature that I can’t go without.
Finally got around to basing some war machines I’ve had painted for quite some time. Figured I’d put together WIP shots of the process. It took me a while of researching to settle on a lava DIY scheme that I was satisfied with and was achievable for an army of Dawi-Zharr. While some of my more naval units have steampunk style basing to represent ironclad decking, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to create lava bases for the more land raiding Reavers that leave a cracked fiery desolation wherever they pillage.
As with many of the best projects, things start by smashing stuff with a hammer. I use scavenged slate or other rocks that fracture into layers. I prefer to take my anger out on landscaping rocks looted from elven garden patios or poolside villas. Difficult part is achieving randomness with the cracks while also fitting the base and providing surface area for the miniature.
Next, I close up gaps with green stuff, cut green stuff spheres in half for bubbles (every time I have a bit leftover I just roll it into a ball), scatter some patches of sand & baking soda ash, and liberally apply Mod Podge to the lava surface to give it some variation (and smooth it out if it’s a GW base).
With airbrush: prime black, come back over lava with a few coats of white, and try to pick out some orange if possible.
Re-blackinate white overspray as needed and drybrush with grays. Wet blend using Warcolours fire set plus dark brown and white.
Usually a second pass at the wet blending where needed, add small areas of drybrushed orange/yellow glow to rock overhangs, scatter (without thinking too hard) brown/black floaty crustules. That’s pretty much it, thanks for reading!
Wow, epic bases! Worth saving among the tutorials.
I finally have an army picture to update the top of my blog. Have some Russian Alternative infantry in the mail to supplement but I figured it was about time.
Glorious! Such a diverse set of miniatures, yet it all fits together splendidly. Something to be proud of, this army! :hatoff:
Breathtaking work. Your conversions are a true inspiration.