Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet [Mar 16 2024 - A Machine for Pigs]

Finally got around to basing some war machines I’ve had painted for quite some time. Figured I’d put together WIP shots of the process. It took me a while of researching to settle on a lava DIY scheme that I was satisfied with and was achievable for an army of Dawi-Zharr. While some of my more naval units have steampunk style basing to represent ironclad decking, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to create lava bases for the more land raiding Reavers that leave a cracked fiery desolation wherever they pillage.

As with many of the best projects, things start by smashing stuff with a hammer. I use scavenged slate or other rocks that fracture into layers. I prefer to take my anger out on landscaping rocks looted from elven garden patios or poolside villas. Difficult part is achieving randomness with the cracks while also fitting the base and providing surface area for the miniature.

Next, I close up gaps with green stuff, cut green stuff spheres in half for bubbles (every time I have a bit leftover I just roll it into a ball), scatter some patches of sand & baking soda ash, and liberally apply Mod Podge to the lava surface to give it some variation (and smooth it out if it’s a GW base).

With airbrush: prime black, come back over lava with a few coats of white, and try to pick out some orange if possible.

Re-blackinate white overspray as needed and drybrush with grays. Wet blend using Warcolours fire set plus dark brown and white.

Usually a second pass at the wet blending where needed, add small areas of drybrushed orange/yellow glow to rock overhangs, scatter (without thinking too hard) brown/black floaty crustules. That’s pretty much it, thanks for reading!

5 Likes