Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet [May 19 2022 - Lamassu WIP]

Amazing work, sir. Beautifully thought out and brilliantly executed.

2 Likes

Very impressive conversion! Love your painting, the metallics on this machine are perfect. Also, great work on the transition to the purple tentacle-things in the prow (some poor imprisoned daemon of Tzeentch, perhaps? :smile:) Their colour is a nice contrast to the rest of the miniature while not popping out too aggressively. Awesome.

2 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Good eye, I’m glad you picked out the purple. I’ve tried to introduce it in subtle(ish) places around the army to represent imprisoned daemons or related magic. This warm scheme is not what I would consider to be my traditional wheelhouse so I still feel like I’m learning how to make the colors work. I’m much more used to blue Tyranids and blue/green/teal Tzeentch & Thousand Sons.

2 Likes

Great work! I keep seeing so many imaginative things done with that service hauler model!

1 Like

Really nice iron daemon. Those servo haulers really work.

1 Like

This mad dwarf was an eBay score from a good while ago, sitting idle waiting for a purpose. I’ve taken apart a few decorative clocks and have since been putting cool bits and watch movements aside, eventually merging projects with this awesome old dwarf mini. Don’t know exactly why but it seemed to make sense, maybe partly the catharsis of tearing apart old clocks that drove me mad? I did a little converting on him and sculpted his shield, making sure to preserve his hilariously pompous helm-hat.

Eventually I was able to justify another eBay purchase by severing the priggish elven scribe for a friend and claiming a fantastic octopus for myself. Naturally, I glued a hat on it to cement its newfound place among the Reavers of Uzkulak. A few steampunk mods and a hook hand were sufficient to disguise any previous attachment points to the model that once was. Had a blast cobbling these two models together for the Golden Hat.

Thanks @Admiral for adding some inspirational comments to include in my lore page.

9 Likes

Always loved that old mini, particularly his helm decoration being a tiny version of him, in the exact same pose. I always liked to imagine that it was animated and moved to copy whatever he was doing.
Beautiful composition, your hard work really paid off. One of the coolest things I’ve seen in my life.

3 Likes

Great conversion work and admirable painting as always, especially the various shades of purple on the octopus. The artwork on the lore page is also very inspired and atmospheric - as one would expect, having seen the stuff you’ve already produced in that line! :smiley: Kudos to you for this project.

2 Likes

Arrrh. Tis be gorgeous to behold.

2 Likes

Now that is a hilarious image I’ll never be able unsee when looking at him. Wondrous!

Thanks all for the high praise. I will endeavor to earn it in future projects. Have a few conversions ready for WIP pictures as soon as I can get back to my light box, this weekend hopefully…

2 Likes

Wonderfully evocative sketches and backstory to go along with a gold-grabbing model. Excellent down to every detail.

2 Likes

A beautiful diorama and brilliantly put together. My favorite entry hands down. Well earned!

1 Like

In honor of all the recent seafaring Dawi-Zharr, here are my 90% WIPs of the Skullkraken! Thanks to Forgeworld’s wheel shipping mishap I still had a chassis leftover. Due to its scarcity I had pretty much written off getting the real skullcracker so it was a sensible choice to kitbash. Armed with only a bad pun for a name I’ve been slowly gluing pieces together hoping to arrive at my rough vision.

The main boiler slash kraken head was a mall vending machine toy Yoda carrying capsule and the auxiliary pressure vessel “eyes” were more tabletop clock bits capped with Battle for Skull Pass mine cart wheels and old edition Dark Eldar gun bits for levered steam control vents.

Fitting together the plasticard and bits for the furnace door and crew area was probably the most frustrating and rewarding part of the build.

Ork Killa Kan bits provided a lot of saw blades and claws while the Maulerfiend tentacles were the only real bits purchase made specifically for this project. Those still need a bit of tweaking to get them positioned but they’re pinned for now until I go through the process of adding a countless number of rivets to the plain areas.

I spent a disproportionate amount of time fiddling with the bevel gear to chain drive for the front saw blade maw considering how difficult it will be to peer underneath but once I started I couldn’t let go of the idea. Had to mess with the wheelbase and axle height to get this thing looking more like a Skullcracker.

Some green stuffing left to do to clean up the crew, but at least the mechanical bird has a hat. I saved one of my favorite Dawi, the Hellcannon shoveler for this purpose because his helmet looks cephalopod-esque. Also, slowly tying in Kharadron bits across my army, mostly due to stealing the head and arm for my sorcerer.

9 Likes

Absolutely incredible kitbash! The pun is great and this creation fits the niche perfectly. Well thought out sources and use of bits. The clockwork pieces fit in beautifully. Great work on the chain drive too! I’ve too have on occasion found myself spending too much time on parts of models that are barely visible in the final piece. Very much looking forward to seeing this painted up.:+1:

1 Like

Lovely creation, a really impressive build that fits well with the rest of your army! I would be terrified transporting it with all those tentacles though… :thinking:

1 Like

Fantastic build. It looks awesome and such detail

2 Likes

YES, Reaver, big YES! Love it

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct @tjub … a problem I’ve not so gracefully pushed onto future me… I’ve been toying with making a magnet shelf/carrying system when I get around to creating my movement trays for infantry…

2 Likes

Absolutely fantastic build!

1 Like

Amazing stuff, with your incredible painting skills too this one is going look great :+1:t2:

2 Likes