Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet [Mar 16 2024 - A Machine for Pigs]

Finally had the assembly and basing momentum to get these Russian Alt w/ Great Weapons ready for priming. These will accompany my Brothers Djinn filler but even with that I still had to do quite a bit of finessing to get a rankable unit. The remaining filler (also spirit related) helped to get these fellers into a block.

I swapped some of the more egregiously large axe heads for small(er) great hammers. Foreshadowing a future Mushussu scratch build with one of these hammer heads. Also converted is a Grulka miniature donated by @Baggronor in some old contest. I think she stands quite well with this crew. Gotta love the bagpiper with skull on a stick amplifier (standing by my claim that infantry units only exist to put cool musicians on the table).

Another hammer sculpt was inspired by the Bloodborne Boom Hammer with a miniature furnace that detonates on impact. Then there’s the poor lad that forgot his great weapon at home but thankfully has a trusty jar of magic stuff to unleash. I also think this brings to a close my @Admiral ceramics (I owe you a photo of all the uses when I’m done painting). I even had to make one of my own as a vessel for a not too subtle Walhut spirit (to get this unit up to 20).

Last conversion was a Mage Knight automaton that I bashed with a custom Whirligig Saw (pizza cutter of death or death lolli or Elden Ring Ghiza Wheel). Note the upside down Lego 1x1 cone hat that is a good substitute for the classic pins.

13 Likes

Ahoy! I’ve returned with one struggle bus worth of humie filth. These minis were honestly on the chopping block to sell as I had my fill of unmade in familiars unit 1. BUT the artisans gave me the idea to put them on a different chopping block and make some remade unmade.

Conversions used some skaven bits, genestealer cults bits for crustacean looking arms, blue stuff copies, Idontneed Thesekin coral, and a patent pending Reaver tentacle sculpt.

The mighty morphing face was looted from @Oxymandias Tzeentch ogres. A lot of other inspiration was taken from Amnesia the Dark Descent enemies and Lovecraft mutants.

16 Likes

These humans are more forsaken than forsaken! Very creepy, they look like thay have come from that board game you paint all the gribbly horrors for. Brilliant as usual.

What made them so daemonic?
If you ever desire to add to the unit, you could do a mad chaos dwarf scientist feeding daemonic body parts or daemonic ichor to tied up humans

2 Likes

Preliminary experiments in nautical daemon binding that lead up to the creation of the asskraken?

Failed attempts to engineer more daemonic asskrakens?

Mutations taking root in the servants that helped to bind the original asskraken?

Doubtlessly some kind of daemonic seepage occurring. It would be cool to model the asscreator daemonsmith!

4 Likes

Once again great and at the same time disturbing models - love it! :wink:

2 Likes

Feels good to be back with painted Chaos Dwarfs again! I’m trying to pull a few more colors into the scheme to preempt the OSM pastel plague charging (slowly) forward via Kickstarter. Also finally have a home and a few more spirit pals to accompany the Brothers Djinn.

The banner is a merciless riff on an @admiral classic. I couldn’t find any better representation of Chaos Dwarfs at sea than this art I’ve had saved in my special folder for ages. The Chaos Dwarf navy doesn’t settle for just conquering others that brave the seas, they subjugate the sea itself. My first big freehand in the Reavers since most of my bearers have sculpted/kitbashed icons.

22 Likes

The possessed human forsaken slaves are great, in every detail. Fantastic work on them, very Chaotic!

And wow, what a marvellous Chaos Dwarf unit! Both for conversions, variety of miniatures and exquisite paintjob. Excellent use of amphora there. And that banner…! It’s bizarre and thrilling to see the Ziggurat of the Sea show up ten years after I drew it for Word of Hashut #12. Just great work on painting the banner! Not least since a Battlebarge is seen accompanying it to the right. The entire handling of colours in the sea and sky is marvellously executed. It’s such a foreboding, dark and lively standard. Top job, sir!

6 Likes

Speaking of, it’s about time. As long ago promised here are all 10 ceramics used and painted.

16 Likes

Most appreciated! Thank you most kindly for that glorious picture!

1 Like

Out of nowhere, got this kingly gift at the end of last year. The first of hopefully many chaos dwarf projects on my desk this year! And I even put some non-grey colors on it.

15 Likes

I love this duo, just great models and brilliantly painted by you! :hatoff:

3 Likes

Love it! Painting helms suits you

2 Likes

Hello denizens of the Dark Lands. I present Motley Crew, a familiar band with damp boots, doots, and water in their ears. Beware of many images! Entire group shot first with mostly close-ups and WIPs below. Zoom to the bottom of the post for bonus cutting room floor familiars.

From left to right: Stone tortoise drum set, gnoblar hammer drummer, pig butt trumpeter gnoblar, and steampunk music box squig. The ogre pig water-skin bit was just too perfect to pass up.

Familiar squid playing a tortured slayer’s xylophone mohawk was probably one of the more fun projects of the lot. It was entertaining seeing the piles of seemingly nonsensical unrelated bits become these ideas over time.

Tack on this Mage Knight tentacle brain tree(?) as a double mouthed lead singer.

Chaos Squidward and Plankton on his Chum Bucket were must adds for the band. They’ll join Chaos snail Gary in the Spongebobless familiars unit 2.

For astute readers of @flagellant04 's blog the key-sword-tar hobgoblin (or rather key-fireglaive-tar) was conceived and spoiled somewhere in there. I’ll leave its polearm classification up for scholastic debate for those in tune with Spetum Rhetoric’s discography. The large stringed instrument was a must as it’s the only variety of instrument I personally have dabbled in (except maybe tummy drumming). The dark elf corsair crossbow bit was just too perfect and largely spawned the entire concept.

Finally the the gluttonous tummy drummer to close out my contest entry! This lovely concept art by @Oxymandias originated on the discord when some chatter about UK Strongman Glenn Ross intersected with discussions about how to part your beard and play your considerable paunch as a drum.

For anyone curious to the sculpting stages, as I have very few ogre bits in my collection. I used scibor’s plastic wrap hack for muscle skin texture.

Loaded up his back with snacks to keep him in peak ogre performance with his instrument in tune. As a bonus the poultry looks like it’s dancing.

Here are some cutting room floor ideas that didn’t have enough talent to make it through auditions, as such some have abandoned their musical aspirations entirely mid sculpt. The bubble trumpeting Oracle Envoy from Elden Ring just didn’t get finished in time.

As with most good ideas, my growing collection of bowls with feet and nigh obsession with ceramics are @admiral 's fault. See this archive thread for the historical inspiration. (tangentially @MichaelX ’s fault for the easy query archive)

Continuing the theme of blame gaming and idea theft. @chitzkoi poked fun at my pain and panic pots so I lost an extra day speed sculpting a real pain and panic with bonus mini-hades.

20 Likes

Amazing little band! The sheer amount of skill, creativity and insane ideas is breathtaking!

…but really, you gotta do a Spongebob now. I’ll start a change.org petition if you don’t!

2 Likes

Very nice work, Sir. Quite the eclectic mix of models making up the band. Your sculpt work is coming along very very well, so well I didn’t realize just how much of the ogre was sculpted, and was wondering where the model came from. Well done, and congrats on the Silver!

3 Likes

So so so so good. Song many memes and Easter eggs. Expertly executed.

Well done

3 Likes

I almost forgot. Love the Pain and Panic sculpts! Weirdly coincidental, my paint colors on the gargantuan bull centaur were inspired by Nessus from the same film.

2 Likes

Wow, what a cornucopia of easter eggs and weird and wonderful creations! Exquisitely sculpted, imaginatively thought-out, hilariously referential and sporting a great paintjob. What’s not to love about this wild bunch?

Pain and Panic and Hades are cherry on top of the cream!

2 Likes

Some of these little creatures/objects make me think of beauty and the beast cartoon. What about daemonic versions of those? A walking cauldron with a demon face on with an imp stirring the ichor inside. A few crazed :crazy_face: imps after drinking it. Or your verson of the demon toilet. :smiling_imp: a possessed carriage with a chaos dwarf driver? Or a daemonic death roller. you probably have far better ideas.

Your entry was really really good again as usual. Well done!

1 Like

Dang, you’ve outed my cartoon inspiration!

Guess I’ll add another screenshot to my familiars ideas sub-folder titled “Grace of Zodd”

3 Likes