Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet [Mar 16 2024 - A Machine for Pigs]

I love to hear that, thanks for sharing & REALLY GREAT painting works!!!

1 Like

Love the hook monster the most, you may possibly be giving me some guidance there.
The seamless blending of colours in the octopus :octopus: is great.
The beast master and hounds are masterfully done too.

Keep going!

1 Like

Thanks all! Counts as 13 strong unit already, only 37 to go for a nice round 50.

Outside of the exquisite subtleties of grey, Transparent violet is my absolute go-to paint. Do you have a hook monster in your backlog? Seems like it would fit your style.

1 Like

Great additions!
But did the “oily tar demon” look on the photo as in reality? I’d imagine an oily effect having deep black and gloss. As it looks here, I would rather think of black/dark fur, like on a tiny yeti.

1 Like

I’m not particularly good at taking photos of black minis on black. I probably should’ve taken pictures of it separately from the octopus to tune the contrast for just that mini. It’s semi gloss but could benefit from leaving a gloss seal coat on it which if I do I usually do after pictures.

That said, I wish I could be bothered to stick with the idea enough to do oil spill iridescence on the whole thing but I quite frankly am lazy.

I think it might be a pre-release copy or something, the resin isn’t as smooth as other casts from osm. A bit grainy.

Blah blah excuses blah. In summary, you’re correct but I’ve convinced myself to not work on it anymore haha. To the back ranks go the garbage!

1 Like

Introducing my swivel gun team proxy with bits from @oldschoolminis and a mage knight gun. Taking lots of advice from @Zoddtheimmortal navigating my growing helms offshoot. I’m rather happy with how this fuses the old school vibe with my nautical obsession and a bit of steampunk. The mage knight bits and the pintle mount had been dedicated to a swivel gun bash for ages when the OSM tortuga and asscannon crew arrived.

This was really one of the fastest kitbashes from start of idea to completion. Although likely years ago I’m sure there are comments in my blog referring to weapon platforms on the back of creatures.

EDIT: (my memory is good, of course Zodd’s ideas are gold)

Painting was pretty speedy and definitely a scheme plundered from Zoddville to the best I can manage. I’m sure I’ll get more practice when boars invade my backlog.

26 Likes

Hahaha, oh this is, yet again, totally excellent!

1 Like

Love it! Totally unique swivel gun there (great painting). These kind of things should be in every chaos dwarf army-exudes character.

1 Like

One hell of model! Great work!! :spoon:

2 Likes

I haven’t been back to this thread for far too long!
One of a small handful of showcases on this forum that leave me speechless every time. I just don’t have words for that palanquin, I think that GH completely passed me by but it might be one of my favourite things on this whole site.

2 Likes

Have you regressed to habitual lurking? I hope not. Who else will poke a stick at my pointed polearm puns.

Thank you muchly regarding the palanquin. Of the things I’ve done and perhaps will ever do I think it’s the closest I’ll get to representing the spirit of CDO in a single model. But that’s what ya get when you take a large handful of ideas and models from the other inspiring folks around the forum and slap them onto a single piece.

Also just something about petrified sorcerers… they’re just so chorfy in mood and aesthetic. If one good thing came out of the Dancing Yak Kickstarter dying it’s that I got to use a fab @Fabelzel model instead. I literally (and fortunately) backed the yak for only his sorcerer

1 Like

Every time I think your inventions cannot become any scarier…

1 Like

Late to the party , but that looks so cool

1 Like

Quick bighat spirit Djinn to get the poor guy out of my bits bin bottom. Not sure if he’ll end up as filler in a future chorf unit or as familiar filler. It might make sense to have him next to a sorcerer nested in pirate familiars 2: dead dwarf fest.

17 Likes

Wow, this is one of my favourite minis

3 Likes

Finally had the assembly and basing momentum to get these Russian Alt w/ Great Weapons ready for priming. These will accompany my Brothers Djinn filler but even with that I still had to do quite a bit of finessing to get a rankable unit. The remaining filler (also spirit related) helped to get these fellers into a block.

I swapped some of the more egregiously large axe heads for small(er) great hammers. Foreshadowing a future Mushussu scratch build with one of these hammer heads. Also converted is a Grulka miniature donated by @Baggronor in some old contest. I think she stands quite well with this crew. Gotta love the bagpiper with skull on a stick amplifier (standing by my claim that infantry units only exist to put cool musicians on the table).

Another hammer sculpt was inspired by the Bloodborne Boom Hammer with a miniature furnace that detonates on impact. Then there’s the poor lad that forgot his great weapon at home but thankfully has a trusty jar of magic stuff to unleash. I also think this brings to a close my @Admiral ceramics (I owe you a photo of all the uses when I’m done painting). I even had to make one of my own as a vessel for a not too subtle Walhut spirit (to get this unit up to 20).

Last conversion was a Mage Knight automaton that I bashed with a custom Whirligig Saw (pizza cutter of death or death lolli or Elden Ring Ghiza Wheel). Note the upside down Lego 1x1 cone hat that is a good substitute for the classic pins.

13 Likes

Ahoy! I’ve returned with one struggle bus worth of humie filth. These minis were honestly on the chopping block to sell as I had my fill of unmade in familiars unit 1. BUT the artisans gave me the idea to put them on a different chopping block and make some remade unmade.

Conversions used some skaven bits, genestealer cults bits for crustacean looking arms, blue stuff copies, Idontneed Thesekin coral, and a patent pending Reaver tentacle sculpt.

The mighty morphing face was looted from @Oxymandias Tzeentch ogres. A lot of other inspiration was taken from Amnesia the Dark Descent enemies and Lovecraft mutants.

16 Likes

These humans are more forsaken than forsaken! Very creepy, they look like thay have come from that board game you paint all the gribbly horrors for. Brilliant as usual.

What made them so daemonic?
If you ever desire to add to the unit, you could do a mad chaos dwarf scientist feeding daemonic body parts or daemonic ichor to tied up humans

2 Likes

Preliminary experiments in nautical daemon binding that lead up to the creation of the asskraken?

Failed attempts to engineer more daemonic asskrakens?

Mutations taking root in the servants that helped to bind the original asskraken?

Doubtlessly some kind of daemonic seepage occurring. It would be cool to model the asscreator daemonsmith!

4 Likes

Once again great and at the same time disturbing models - love it! :wink:

2 Likes