Pyro's Continuing Blog: Unreleased Chaos Dwarf

Amazing stuff! Now I’m really curious what will be next - with dwarfs on griffons it seems like nothing is impossible in this Chaos Dwarf force!

1 Like

You could slant some forward and some back on their slotta bases. That should work?

Here’s the latest army shots of my 3rd edition collection, collected and painted over the last 16 years. Its still ongoing, but there’s a chance ill be moving abroad for the next one to five years so I have no idea when ill get a chance to take another photo like this. I just hope I managed to get everything in this one because it was an absolute mission getting it all out of storage.

This is the entirety of what I’ve completed so far, apart from a few missing shields here and there. I’ve also stuck the juggernaut boar centaur with the incomplete Whirlwind because you could barely see it anyway. My plan now is to strip the crossbowman painted in a snow theme and the mortar crew and repaint those. Mortar will also be rebased onto a base the same size as the swivel guns. I would also like to get a second one to even out the army.

Complete MM90 series. Tempted to get another mage so I can get a pic of the complete unit without having to use the ones with diorama bases…

Took the opportunity to get a pic of the MM90’s + Nominus Malus together

MM90 doubles, Nominus Malus, some Clam minis + extras

Crossbowmen

Renegades

Swivel Guns

Bazookas

Mortar

Tenderisers

Whirlwinds

Juggernauts

Asscannon

Mages

Don’t know why some of the pics are coming out washed out and looking like a faded red instead of the bright red they actually are. I bought a light box but it doesnt seem to have helped.

After this I am only planning on adding some models from the OSM Kickstarter. Ill be getting a Perforator, 8 more crossbowmen, 4 Heavy Boar Knights (which I will add to the unit of 4 Bear Knights), the Mounted General, and enough single models to even out the units (or maybe some OSM command groups).

16 Likes

Incredible army pyro, gives me great joy to look at (very valuable too!!).
The frost pyromancer colour scheme is lovely, the yellow headed Whirlwind really stands out too. If you have time you could highlight the other war machine face screens to this level.
You went for khorne colours just like in the rule book and nearly all gw too. Never sell it!

The asscannon really fits in well there. 5 f#$%ing sorcerers, each one of those goes for £15-20 on ebay haha

5 Likes

Wonderful wonderful collection :hatoff:

4 Likes

Beautifully done, old school army. The paint job’s look great, and loving seeing the whirlwinds and juggernaut painted so well. The multiple schemes for the mage, are also so very cool. Glad you got this out and put it all together! Worth the effort!

3 Likes

@Zoddtheimmortal I totally agree about the colours on the war machine faces, I will brighten them up the next time I get them out of storage.

I was hoping I would be able to post a few more updates here but life has been incredibly busy recently and I’ve barely had time to pick up a brush in the past few months.

I managed to pick up the Vizier Tower from MoM Miniatures cheap, a model I’ve had my eye on for a while. I was planning on using it as a chariot or something unusual for my 3rd edition army but its a lot chunkier than I was expecting and it will probably look a bit ridiculous next to the juggernauts. All I’ve had time to do so far is to sort the pretty horrible mould lines/slip and get it undercoated. Also didn’t notice there’s nothing connecting the bulls to the chariot until I started building it so its going to need some conversion work as well…

I was pretty happy with how my AC entry turned out despite it only taking about half an hour on Hero Forge. I’m half tempted to order a few prints of it for myself. I’m looking forward to seeing how OSM’s boar centaur units turn out.

My plan this year was supposed to be to move to China in about two weeks but at the last minute that plan has changed and I’m now going to be moving to Amsterdam for the next four years. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a few small things finished before then. Also if anyone knows of any jobs going in Amsterdam that would be great haha.

8 Likes

Wwo thats cool, good luck in Amsterdam! If you ever want to meet up for a pint and some miniature talk let me know

2 Likes

Another unexpected addition. I don’t know how long I’ve been after this model but it has to be close to ten years now. I’ve only seen it come up on eBay two or three times.

Unfortunately the previous owner seems to have used a resin epoxy or something to weld it to the base and glue the arm on, which has also covered half of that side of the body and the chainmail at the bottom, so I’m going to need to find something strong to strip it all away. I’m also concerned about the double mould line and mould slip. I would have thought for an unreleased model that all copies would be master copies but there could be a reasonable explanation. Still happy to have it in the collection but it’s going to take a lot of work to clean up.

5 Likes

The double mould line & shift are indeed a bit concerning but there could be mundane explanations (aside from the obvious one). One thing I noticed is that the metal looks very bright, very much like the later alloys used in the 90s – not the first choice for private individuals due to being harder to cast. One explanation I could think of is that they wanted to test how new lead-free alloys behave in production moulds (the US have outlawed lead in miniatures from 1990 on, GW has likely prepared for that in advance).

For the resin, I would try acetone first. That stuff dissolves basically all plastics (including nitrile gloves).

1 Like

+1 for acetone.

1 Like

I’m pretty happy with how this turned out, although it’s size and scale doesn’t match any of the other centaurs, and painting tartan is way too fiddly for me. I designed it on heroforge and got it printed on Etsy. Altogether I think it cost less than £8.

9 Likes

He looks really imposing. Great mini and who does not like a bagpipe.

Clan Pyro tartan is cool too

1 Like