Rick Priestley Interview: Brazen Bulletin. Questions wanted

How the Hell did you manage that??? Good job!

2 Likes

@Willmark I spoke to him a little bit last year because I wrote a fan supplement for his game warlords of erewhon. So I had his email.

And then I thought, it’s worth an ask…and he answered! Don’t ask you don’t get and all that I guess haha

I was very surprised though. Absolutely chuffed he’s up for doing this

5 Likes

Oh wow man, much kudos @Oxymandias , much kudos indeed :clap:t2:

3 Likes

Hey all. He’s confirmed that I can send him out questions early next week again this morning. I know he already said he would but I’m still kind of pinching myself about this great opportunity we have.

Now as far as how many questions we get to ask him goes I think I need to send a polite amount. Maybe ten or a little bit more.
Probably not over 15. He’s giving up his time for a small community zine for free and I don’t want to inundate him with 100s of questions.

What I’ll most likely be doing is making the questions rather open ended and allow him to elaborate as much or as little as he sees fit. “What can you tell us about…?” “What’s your opinion on …?” Etc

To do this I’ll most likely be smashing many of our requested questions into single questions but keeping the general theme and stuff in tact.

I think a vague chronology works well. 3rd Ed chaos dwarfs that were there when he started the project. (Definitely get an arse cannon question in there haha), then the bulk of questions about big hats and hobgobbos. Historical inspiration seems to be a big theme of what people are interested in here. Then Qs about how and why they never really got studio attention past that point etc. Then some Qs about their revival in 8th and if they used any of his notes for that etc. Finish off with some stuff about the future.

Keep the questions coming and I’ll try to form them into something suitable to send to him this weekend.

6 Likes

Yes, that is the best approach. Keep it open and keep the number down. I know from other interviews Rick has answered (lovely pieces of reading, by the way) that he’ll do good when allowed to roam.

As to stuff about the future, would that be Rick’s guesses and predictions for future CD developments in Warhammer as an outsider and former studio colossus, or a question about Rick’s own future projects? Mr. Priestley no longer works for GW, so future CD question might work less well, but who knows? I’m sure it’ll end up well in your hands.

Great going @Oxymandias ! :smile:

1 Like

I’m Indulging myself for the future one. Haha. His latest game warlords of erewhon that I play a lot has no current “evil dwarf” army list. He regularly adds new lists. He has even added some mad ones like flying monkeys.

So I’m gonna use it to bug him into adding one :joy:

2 Likes

Change future chaos dwarf plans to evil dwarf plans then? :smiley:

2 Likes

Make him go full circle! :tongue:

1 Like

I’d be interested to know how GW staffers felt about Chaos Dwarfs over the years. They obviously didn’t sell well enough and got dropped (twice) but was this to the dismay of the people that worked there or was the general feeling about the army not great?

3 Likes

WOW! This is crazy awesome!
If only I were home to look through my collection to see what projects Rick was involved in I might be able to come up with some cool questions worthy of Rick.
The only thing I can come up with right now is, "Can you tell us about some of the relationships and fond memories you have had with the people and the Games Workshop company in the early years?

3 Likes

Could Rick please advise how the mighty Bolt Thrower ended up using GW article on their epic “realm of chaos” album?

1 Like

Did this interview ever take place?

I’m very interested on his take to Sjordo’s question.

1 Like

Check out the issues of the bulletin!

3 Likes

Well, i have one I heard years ago from a studio worker at the time, was at a Salute show, of course not for this, but if someone like Filmdeg gets a chance to read this for example

Is it true that the big hats came as a sort of joke. The myth goes that the executives where on a business trip during the design phase, and they kept calling in asking if the hats where big enough to distinguish them from regular dwarfs.
The designers apparently kept enlarging (or better, enheightening) the hats every time they called (1992-3ish, this is before the quick internet meeting days mind you), with the well known (and beloved) result.

Ha yeah thats what I was told by Rick - When they (Rick, Alan and Michael) were working on the Chaos Dwarfs, Bryan Ansell was out of the country so couldn’t see the work in progress. So Rick would phone him describing the work, and Bryan’s response would be to “make the hats bigger” - so the team would go away and do that, and then once more Rick would phone Bryan who’d say “make the hats bigger”…

I did some filming with Rick last month, and we did film a small 10 minute vid on Chaos Dwarfs. It isn’t super detailed unfortunately, but I’m hoping that I can also interview the Perry twins on the topic (although so far they haven’t replied to me).

4 Likes

I actually love this reply, seems I might not have been believing in fairy tales for more then a decade :rofl:

1 Like

I watched all of the first part on youtube. It was interesting.

1 Like

He says it is a story that has been told a lot, but I’ve never seen any of them go into this kind of detail before, and not in video form. Very nice to see it from his own mouth.