One of the core issues with Chaos Dwarfs RH in the modern age is the lack of options compared to later lists. How can I use my classics with their crossbows? What if I want an Iron Daemon? Why would a dwarf not use some form of polearm when they are at such a reach disadvantage?
It turns out our friends-for-gold have a surprising amount of utility that can be used to field equipment not envisaged when RH was originally published. Here’s some examples ripe for converting, but please add more if you have ideas!
And many thanks to Thom Thumb and @Ihsan997 for many of these great ideas!
- While regular DoW pikemen can be taken as a Rare choice, each of the RoR pike units can be taken as a Special in non-DoW armies. The closest example to a CD would probably be Ricco’s Republican Guard with WS 4 and Heavy Armour. The obvious idiosyncrasies are M 4, no shields, T 3, and Ld 8, but it’s nothing a little creative writing couldn’t explain!
- Similar to the above you can take DoW Crossbows as a Rare, but they lack armour and… are a rare choice. However, Braganza’s Beseigers can be taken as a Special and come with heavy armour! It will require some work to create the pavises, though it could be modeled in front of the unit similar to the stakes that Bretonnian archers get. The Marksment of Mirgliano are a simpler option, though are equipped with light armour instead of heavy.
Remember also that Pizarro’s Lost Legion is a rare Mixed Formation, crossbows in front and pikes behind, covering both of the above!
- The “Kathleen” Halftank, or Halfling Steam tank makes for a wonderful Iron Daemon. It’s essentially a fear causing chariot with a dwarf flame cannon on the front, but it’s also so much more.
- Bronzino’s Galloper Guns gives you some light, mobile artillery.
- “Lapping around sucks, Sneaky Gits aren’t really worth it.” Vespero’s Vendetta - fear causing skirmisher unit with throwing weapons, 2 attacks, and an armour save. All for the same Special slot!
- “Hell yes, OSM has boar cavalry!” Hell yes, RoR has Voland’s Venators.
- “K’daii are fire.” Yeah, this one doesn’t get much unfortunately. The closes would be Ogres, either Golfag’s or generic, both taking a Rare slot. Functional if not flavorful.
- “Did you know that Oglah Khan no longer shoots his allies in the back in 6th?” Yeah but you already have hobgoblin wolf riders as core.
The other point to note is that RoRs come with a minor character. There is some excellent opportunities for new models and conversions there, however you do pay a premium for them in points. Additionally, RoR can’t be taken repeatedly so you are limited to a single unit of that weapon choice without branching into DoW or alternative RoR entries.
DoW/RoR info taken from the 2002 Warhammer Annual and wherever the hell the Kathleen Halftank came from .