[WHFB] Deragorh’s Grand Army (>10k)

Our story begins around 1996, I went to a GW shop with a friend who collected Wood Elves and Greenskins, and picked out my first model – the Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer. I can’t recall what first drew me to Chaos Dwarfs, it could have been the big hats, it could have been that they were evil dwarfs of industry, it could have been the brutal machines of war, in any case they were my first army. Gothmog the Sorcerer was soon joined by three boxes of plastic warriors and a command group, a Death Rocket, a small unit of Black Orcs, and a mounted Hobgoblin Hero. That’s basically where the army stayed for a while.

For the first decade of the new millennium I slowly increased the number of models in my assembly/painting backlog, picking up Bull Centaurs, Blunderbuss, an Earthshaker, some Greenskins, a Great Taurus and Lammasu (and riders). I was also able to get a Hellcannon and some excess crew in 2006.

I joined CDO in 2009, just in time to sign up for the Zargod sculpt and custom dice order. The next big expansion of the army occurred in 2011 when I purchased a very well painted force from another member on CDO (Biggy). This purchase allowed me to offload some of the models languishing in boxes and was also just in time for the release of the Legion of Azgorh. While I liked the look of the Infernal Guard, they did not fit with the rest of my army so I focused on adding the hat-wearing elite and new war machines to my host. Shortly after I also added a GW LOTR Balrog as my K’daai Destroyer, as well as a number of Dweller in the Dark as my K’daai Fireborn.

This past decade I’ve been whittling away at the model backlog, converting models where I wanted something different, and adding models that interested me from third parties. I managed to get my whole army out on a table before my latest house move (they are now all safely packed away in foam).

I can’t remember who posted it (and I can’t find the thread), but this page helped immensely in documenting my army: Photographing Miniatures – Tales From The Aaronorium. In the coming week I’ll gradually upload photos of all of the individual units. In the interim, panorama of the full army (with some photoshopping for the background):

Higher quality version.

13 Likes

Table of Contents

CHARACTERS

CORE

SPECIAL

RARE

TERRAIN/OBJECTIVES

ALLIES

2 Likes

Gothmog, Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord

My first model. He did get a repaint recently.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Ghorth the Cruel, Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord

This was converted and painted by Biggy.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Zhatan the Black, Chaos Dwarf Lord

The grander version was converted and painted by Biggy.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Rykarth the Unbreakable

The grander version was converted and painted by Biggy.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Astragoth Ironhand, High Priest of Hashut

Younger and Older (note the greying of the beard).

Table of Contents

8 Likes

Gargath, Chaos Dwarf Lord on Great Taurus

The Great Taurus has Dragon’s wings. Also, the rider is magnetised.

Table of Contents

8 Likes

Zhorgrath, Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord on Lammasu

The Lammasu has Manticore wings. Also, the rider is magnetised.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Drazhoath the Ashen, on Bale Taurus

I made a small modification to the back of the throne, and added a banner. Also, the rider is magnetised – all of my riders are interchangeable between their mounts.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Gorduz Backstabber, Hobgoblin Chieftain on Wolf

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Awesome collection! :26:

I would like to see more photos, preferably of all units! :wink:

3 Likes

I did the same to mine, just times two :cd1991gif:

3 Likes

Incredible. Beautiful army, and impressively vast host! Great conversions, great vision and great painting. I really love everything you’ve done with the special characters.

This big hat army is the stuff of legends! :26:

The Father of Darkness must surely be content with your offering. :21:

@MadHatter, @Fuggit_Khan, @bas_2312 & @Bassman, feast your eyes upon the glory of this collection!

3 Likes

Zhrazak and Zochaz, Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmiths

Forge World Gamesday/FW Warhammer World Models

Table of Contents

6 Likes

Vraznak, Daemonsmith & Balur, Infernal Castellan

The Orc head conversion idea came from CoolMiniOrNot.

Table of Contents

6 Likes

Braggronor & Marrog Blackhand, Chaos Dwarf Heroes

I really liked the Titan Wargames character and command models, but there was missing something… (can you guess what?)

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Bezhukk the Immortal, 151st of this name (Chaos Dwarf Hero), and Bodyguards (Titan Wargames Royal Guard Command)

I was lucky enough to pick one of these up a while back.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Barukh, Bull Centaur Hero

This was converted (Chaos Dwarf Lord hat and weapon) and painted by Biggy.

Table of Contents

7 Likes

Hthark the Unstoppable, Star player of the Zharr-Naggrund Ziggurats

Axes from a Chaos Dwarf Hero and leftovers from my standard bearer conversion.

Table of Contents

6 Likes