[WHFB] Waaagh! Rudnik - Night Goblin Auxiliaries [2023-10-22]

Thanks so much, that is high praise!

Credit goes to he Gloomspite range there as well, the models do fit very well with the old range, slight scale-creep aside. But they do rank up nicely.

1 Like

I find scale creep in greenskins to be much more forgiving. I believe they have much greater variation of size than humans do. My 40k ork army has 1980s up to fairly modern models in it and I like the variation. The same variation in humans may not be to my taste

1 Like

Absolutely! I mean there even is this “Orks never stop growing and just get bigger the more powerful they get”, and while that may not be specifically mentioned for Goblins or greenskins as a whole, I think that’s very easily reconciled.

1 Like

Finally managed to wrestle down this beast of a model. The Fungoid Cave Shaman is crazily detailed, I could have used the whole rainbow of colours and still have duplicates, so many different areas on the model. Really challenged my limited palette approach.
I’m fairly happy with this one. The lantern thingy did not turn out like I wanted, but the rest is pretty good. Although I should have switched to my good brushes for the detail work, that was really a mistake on my part. I’ve become too set in my painting ways the last months, I need to keep this in mind when it comes to Skarsnik, I will not tolerate any sloppiness here!
Still, this is a fine model and I was equal parts scared and excited to paint it. Very happy I tackled it and overall proud of the result. He will be my new Great Shaman on the battlefield.

10 Likes

The King of Kings, Lord of the Eight Peaks, Skarsnik & Gobbla!

Finally, my Waaagh has it‘s Waaaghboss!
I know, using special characters is always a contested issue, but if you’re playing Night Goblins, it’s thematically fitting but more importantly almost mandatory gamewise, as he’s your only access to LD8 :sweat_smile:
As befitting his status, I adorned his base with lots of mushrooms and some tufts. I thought about painting a few mushrooms in turquoise/blue as well but ultimately decided against it. Gobbla is already very blue, I didn’t want to distract too much.
I used my usual paint recipe, but this time I thought about switching to proper brushes for the final steps. After not having done that at all this year basically, let me just say what a huge difference that makes! Holy cow. I know, hardly news in general, but still.

12 Likes

Two Bosses on Giant Cave Squig.

This one is from the FW Night Goblins command group. It follows the very dark FW themed Night Goblins. The armoured Squig is a nice touch and really sets it apart from the other models.

Then we have the wonderful new plastic Boss from the Looncurse set. The Squig could have even looked meaner for my taste (those horns make it look a little silly imho), but the maw is awesome and the whole model looks really fast :smiley: And that Boss is truly a boss. Great model.

13 Likes

Snotling Pump Wagon and two Snotling bases

That Snotling Pump Wagon is really fun and a lovely model. Those Snotlings are just awesome! Had lots of fun painting these. The Pump Wagon too, very nice.

The old Night Goblin kits came with 4 Snotlings each, enough to make a base. These are probably the models I cared the least about ever in all my painting :smiley: The models are rather boring, I had them all glued on to the base and couldn’t reach everything (but I really didn’t care here), I had left some mold lines on and didn’t care, I didn’t fix my painting mistakes in the end. But I’m not saying no to two free Snotling bases, so here they are.

15 Likes

Lovely pump wagon. The snotlings depending on ruleset went from ok to great to rubbish again. 1 ruleset had thrm at ld10 unbreakable i think. Could hold anything up for a couple of turns.

2 Likes

Haha, I don’t even know how they are in 8th tbh :see_no_evil: LD10 is def gone, but I think swarms are still unbreakable/unstable? Something like that. So not very durable :joy: and they have these 6“ S2 no armour weapons, too funny if they take down a Chaos Knight…

The infamous Squig Gobba and two mighty Mangler Squigs

The Squig Gobba is totally bonkers. It follows the usual grimmer Forgeworld aesthetic. The rules found in Monstrous Arcanum are really not that great, I just use it as a night-gobliny Doom Diver proxy. Fits quite well imho, I just say the little squigs bounce once instead of the doom diver manipulating his flightpath.

The Manglers are probably the best units in the entire army and I was very happy when GW released these classic models. And with two-part epoxy and some pins they are surprisingly sturdy.

13 Likes

They look great, jealous of squig lobba. I remember reading the rules thinking it was terrible many years ago. Have you got a colossal squig yet?

1 Like

Thanks mate!

No, don’t have a Colossal Squig. I don’t like the rules (and don’t have something to proxy in mind. Maybe a giant? Not sure) but I also don’t reaaaaaally like the model. That running pose is weird imho. Something like the artwork in the book would be much better. I think I saw some 3d printed ones which looked quite nice.

Gorgeous mushrooms, great contrast with the squigs. I like how you’ve flipped the script on how those colors are used in most squigs with mushroom bases. The gobba is such a fun diorama piece!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your kind words, much appreciated!
I’m quite happy with the mushrooms as well. Really looking forward to seeing it all together.

1 Like

Rockgut Troggoths.
I like that kit very much! The way it goes together is quite genius, and they even rank up!

I went more or less with the box art but adapted to my Night Goblin colours. I couldn’t really do the blue-skin-blend, but I think they still look pretty nice. And that blue is a little different from the Squig one, that was important.

14 Likes

Beautiful mate, spot on color choises!

1 Like

Thanks mate! The “official” colours really played into my hand :joy: And with the skin-tone bellies there’s enough to set them apart from the squigs. I hope :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Stole the words right out of my squigs mouth! Really great work on the two skintones, especially given a cold to warm transition.

1 Like

Thanks Reaver, much appreciated :pray:

1 Like

6 Fungus Troggoths

So I had these Fellwater Troggoths since when they were still known as River Trolls. Back then, these were the only multi-part plastic Trolls available. I felt that River Trolls wouldn’t really fit with my Night Goblins though, so I decided to convert them to Fungus Trolls. I filed away all the scales to “clean them up” and put some mushrooms on them. That was way before Mollog’s Mob, mind you! I think a -1 to hit in close combat can definitely be explained by some foul mushroom stench too.

I’m reasonably happy with how it all turned out, but feel it’s not my best work. I wanted to go for a dark hide with lighter bellies, but think it’s a little bland overall. Maybe I’ll change it to black. Might look better.

11 Likes