[Archive] [10-10-07] McNs' first CD Warriors/Blunderbussers

McNs:

Howdy:

�� Well, I was hoping to post pictures tonight, but I can’t find the USB cable that connects my camera to my PC and I’m pluck tired of looking for it.��Pics will be forthcoming to demonstrate progress.

�� Anyhow, I’m starting with the [[BfSP]] dwarves to make 12 warriors/10 Blunderbusters plus a Sorceror out of the the Thane.��I’m keeping it straight/simple and following Xander’s video for CD warriors as best I can.��However, rather than use the Mask method, I’m attempting big hats and tusks.

����So far (pics would have been helpful here), I found that the clean-up portion of the process is a snap.��I found the sweet-spot between too much and not enough green stuff for the scale male, but my first sample is a little rough.��I’m going to make the hat in two steps: building the hat structure and then the embellishments in a separate step.��I tried to rush and do the beard directly after doing the scale male and hat.��This was a bad idea: I had to redo lots of the scale mail due to mishandling the model (its right where I wanna put my fingers!!) and my green stuff started drying on me and getting extra tacky.��The beard on my prototype is a little shaky, but I made the best of it and I’m happy with my first model.��I added a fang, which I’m a little “meh” on.��I want to embellish his lower jaw a bit more to see if I like the look. I’m also going to enlarge his nose in the next step.

���� Instead of using Marauder arms, I’m going to use the original arm, but pin it at an angle more like the 4th ed plastic CD warriors.��Also, I’m going to cut the axe’s rune off and attempt to GS the Hashut rune on it.��Failing that, I’ll go for something easy like a skull or a “chaosy” arrow.

���� Again, I apologize for the lack of pics.��I will update this ASAP as I’m having great fun doing it and I’d love some C&C on my greenstuff work (this is my first non-gap filling project with it).

Cheers!

- McNs

Willmark:

We’ll be here waiting to comment. Now get cracking!

McNs:

OK, so its official: I suck at taking pictures. I have one good one of step 2 of my process, but I’m going to try to borrow the g/f’s camera next time I need to take pics of these. Anyhow…

I fleshed out the hat structure a bit more; next time I think I’ll try getting this shape in one step. I also added a nose and GS’ed together a shoulder for the warrior’s axe arm. Here’s a pic of the WIP

I need to detail the hat a little more: this will probably be very basic chaos arrows. I need to add a spike on his hat, some more detail to his jaw, and a second fang sticking up from behind his shield. After that, paint and repeat 19 times for the unit.

I found that I’m not quite good enough to GS the Hashut rune yet; the next batch I might try a skull or maybe a bull’s head for the axe detail.

In terms of setting up a batch process, here’s my tentative steps:

Step 1: Cut and clean

Step 2: Scale mail and beard,

Step 3: Hat structures, shoulder

Step 4: Hat detail, nose, and fangs

Anyhow, more to come on CD warrior #1 tomorrow.

- McNs

PS - I just picked up the 4th ed Army Book and a Death Rocket; look for the rocket crew to be painted up and posted shortly

Willmark:

Biggest thing is a camera with a macro lense and/or zoom capability. Also proper lighting is important.

Hard to tell but looks good so far. We need better pictures and our resident tall hat expert… Tall Hat to critique.

McNs:

Finished up CD number one; pics to come when I have a better picture taking rig (hopefully by Wednesday).

Biggest thing I’ve had difficult on is the face, but its coming together. Any advice on tricks to modeling a CD face from the [[BfSP]] dwarves and/or advice on how to add hat detail would be much apprciated.

- McNs