[Archive] 1000pt league

Shimsham:

Hi guys,

It’s nearly midnight here in Australia, but I thought I’d post my list anyway for comment.

I’m in a league with a bunch of mates and I have decided to use the LOA instead of the usual orc and goblin army. So far I have had only one game against a dark elf army and I came out with a solid victory (we use the 7th edition VP conditions).

My list is…

Deamonsmith, level 2, Talisman of preservation and charmed shield, lore of fire

17 infernal guard, full command.

10 infernal guard, fireglaves.

3 bull centaurs, great weapon, shield.

Magma cannon.

Deathshrieker.

He had bsb, level 2 fire sorceress, 6 or seven cold one knights, 2 units of 12 crossbowmen, 2 bolt throwers, and about 12 black guard.

My daemonsmith on 3 dice miscast, rolled a 4, and was lucky to survive. 7 of the 10 fireglaves didn’t fare so well. Appart from that the army performed pretty well, although there wasn’t much left on the board in the end.

One of the armies is a high elf force with a unit of about 7 dragon princes. How do you guys deal with those? Most of my units deal in fire…

MLP:

One of the armies is a high elf force with a unit of about 7 dragon princes. How do you guys deal with those? Most of my units deal in fire...

Shimsham
I'd use the Lore of Metal (But you'll have to keep if for the whole league I expect) with your Demonsmith. Even the signature spell will rip them apart in a few turns. Saying that, High Elf magic is pretty good so you may struggle to get any spells through.

Magma cannon obviously useless. Deathshrieker may do damage but I think it'll be lucky to break their armour and you'd be lucky for the panic to affect them.

Other than that you'll just have to take his charge and hope to hold then get a flank charge in with the Bull Centaurs. If the Fireglaives can get a decent shot or two in they'll be wounding on 3+ and the Dragon Prince's save will be reduced to 4+ I think, but with only ten shots you're not looking at much damage.

Good luck!

nilbog:

Lore of metal is also flaming attacks, so won’t work too well with dragon princes, unless of course you’re augmenting your own units.

Bull centaurs should be able to handle them. They’re only S3 after the charge, and they shouldn’t break a unit on the charge.

Perhaps stick in a khan on a wolf and try to redirct them?

MLP:

Lore of metal is also flaming attacks, so won't work too well with dragon princes, unless of course you're augmenting your own units.

Bull centaurs should be able to handle them. They're only S3 after the charge, and they shouldn't break a unit on the charge.

Perhaps stick in a khan on a wolf and try to redirct them?

nilbog
I totally forgot Metal counted as fire! What nilbog said then!

Shimsham:

Yeah I considered metal. We do have the freedom to change our lists and lores, but whatever you show up with on the night is what you must use, and you don’t know what you will face. It is a mighty empires campain I should add. The skaven player is using an abomination, and the elf player a level 3 wizard. There is lizard, dogs of war and also khemri in the mix.I thought about lore of death, but if i’m up against most of those armies then I want fire for sure.

Love the bull centaurs. It was my first game with the and those guys simply cannot be shot down. 3 turns of being shot at with 2 repeater bolt throwers and 20ish repeater crossbows and they didn’t take a single wound!

If I accrue enough points I might try and field a khan. He sounds like a good idea, but I don’t know how I will keep him alive.

Rickie:

The general idea with a wolf mounted Khan is that he is expendeble. It’s pretty much his job description to die for the greater good (or evil).

Shimsham:

The general idea with a wolf mounted Khan is that he is expendeble. It's pretty much his job description to die for the greater good (or evil).

Rickie
I think at an elite level at a very small points cost I should and make every point count do you think a lone bull centaur could do the job as well?

Rickie:

Bull centaurs could have made intresting chaff, but sadly they are a 3+ unit choise. The Khan is cheap, can hunt warmachins other small chaff units or redirect or speedbump. So for the cost he is preety good at what he does. Only Wolf riders can fill the same function, but animosity makes them less reliable.

Shimsham:

Hi guys, I’ve played 4 games in the league so far, and I haven’t dropped a game. I beat a tomb kings army (wiped it off the board) without taking a single wound. Does anybody think that taking 2 war machines in a game this big is a bit cheap? I slaughtered a skaven army with a poorly positioned general in a plague furnace and barley got scratched by his army. Against a high elf force we chopped up each others forces a bit,but i still took out a minor victory. I just don’t want people to think i’m being a dick for taking two war machines, but my force is so small I feel i need them!

Shimsham:

Hi guys, I’ve played 4 games in the league so far, and I haven’t dropped a game. I beat a tomb kings army (wiped it off the board) without taking a single wound. Does anybody think that taking 2 war machines in a game this big is a bit cheap? I slaughtered a skaven army with a poorly positioned general in a plague furnace and barley got scratched by his army. Against a high elf force we chopped up each others forces a bit,but i still took out a minor victory. I just don’t want people to think i’m being a dick for taking two war machines, but my force is so small I feel i need them!