[Archive] [11-24-14 update] Apocalypstia's Forge of ChaosDwarfs

apocalypstia:

While the furnaces are heating, the ground grows warm, the earth below not molten yet - forges beginning to cough caustic green vapors the ziggaurat once more begins to team with life.

ChaosDwarfs have been waiting in deep slumber for my return, the last of my clan sold into servitude back in the early 90’s… not much to begin the rebuilding.

So starting with virtually nothing the plan loosely looks to be:

At least 2 variations of the Great Taurus, one more traditional the other more mechanical. In reading thru the site i read something about a concept with the cd’s bending daemons to their whims, binding them into machines… thus my mechanical daemon engine Taurus began to take form.

Custom Lamasu - with inspiration from tjubs blog

at least 1 core block of cd warriors

at least 2 units of blunderbuss

As i will prolly field the cd’s as a counts as warriors army i plan on one warshrine - some variation on the Brazen Bull concept.

Additionally have plans for traditional type bull centaurs and mechanical versions.

Not decided on the war engines just yet. Prolly build some of each for variety

For fun projects will include a chaosdwarf juggernaught and kolossus.

Now as for having played chaos for the better part of two decades i have a few things i can begin the conversion rights with.

Below resides my first attempt at some conversions. These will become my test converions for chaos dwarf warriors.

yeah a fairly haphazard restart, lol… but gotta start right. I do plan on reviving the chaosdwarfs and getting some support with the local tourneys and such so the list shall refine and grow.

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Kera foehunter:

those are cool!! but how do they rank up??? i love the beards and the beefy dwarf look

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I think they pretty much rank up like the chaos warriors they’re based on… which means ‘bad’.

I’d make the beards with a finer tool they look a bit like a harmonica right now and not as curly as they could. Quite a cool start, still!

Sojourn:

I’d love to see a little more ‘chaos’ in the beards :wink: they are way too neat and tidy, so like Ish suggested, maybe a finer tool

otherwise, looking great :slight_smile: can’t wait to see the rest!

two_heads_talking:

As to the beard and those comments, perhaps that’s the best the OP could manage… I’m not judging as I don’t rightly know.

I think they look perfectly fine.

Zanko:

IMO a cool idea to use these chaos warriors for conversions! :hat off

I´m curious to see them finished and painted!

… and to come back to the beards, I would make “normal” full beards! That will look more evil and natural and fits a “real” chaos dwarf much better!!! :cheers

Aaahhhh I love the old 3rd edition ones! :wink:

:hashut

Hazkar:

nice start…they really look like guys you dont want to mess with

like it,the beards are nice

now back to your forge an do some more!

apocalypstia:

I like the chaos warrior conversion as it gives a lot of beefiness to chaos dwarf. But its still early and just many WIP’s. They dont rank up easily on the 20mm basees, but as i will be shortening arms, it may work well. Although if nothing else it will end up looking like a dense mass of cd’s which will look near impenatrable… muwhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Currently i am running 1k point armies to get a real feel for the game and cd’s again. My trial list is going to comprised something like this:

CD Hero

CD Sorceror x2

1 unit (15) CD warriors with hand weapon and sheilds

1 unit (15) CD warriors with great weapons

1 unit (10) hobgobs on wolves - probably with bows

2 hobgob bolt throwers

1 earthshaker

so thats the current conversion goal.

I have 3 more chaos warriors carved up just waiting greenstuff beards/skirting… so 8 started - need to design or come up with a sheild that will work with 20mm base ranking well.

Here are two WIP’s for converting some Dwarf heads for creating CD’s from everyday dwarfs.

beard improvements i think, still not quite where i want them, good thing i have so many more to practice. I am planning for a hellcannon style on these bitz.

I.P.:

I quite like the fact that these two have massive beards - its like Mr. Twit from the Twits (in an evil way - which is good!)…and the bigger the beard, the less body sculpting needs to be done:hat off

Kera foehunter:

Like the bushy beards !!! heck they should give you added armor bonus

that would be a cool rule for are cd armys

the_rat:

Those have to be some of the coolest beards I’ve seen, are they difficult to do?

apocalypstia:

are those beards difficult to do… well i guess that depends on the definition and understanding of difficult… it all started out from the bearding ideas and tutorials around the forums. My first beards seemed a little lacking in dimensionality so i modified what i i was doing a bit, put my own artistic flare on the twists and curls of chaos dwarf beards.

Instead of just coming across each side of the beard sausage towards the center i use a motion similar to making a comma " , " - this motion helps pull the beard sausage up and pack it against the previous curl. Once the entire sausage is beardified as such i go back with the fine tool edge (for me an X-acto blade) and press it into any areas that seem to have too much bubbling or seem to thick. Addtionally at this point i will use the blade tip to pull/push wayward curls back into line in order to maintain some semblance of roundness. The comma motion can create little barbs on the gs as i use an X-acto (at that moment), to rememdy this i use the non-edged side of the blade to push the barb back down into the beard as necessary and seemingly appropriate.

I wouldnt really call them difficult to accomplish, just potentially tedious. I should be able to get more samples/WIPs up pretty soon.

The forges must glow if the army is to grow!!! Hashut Commands it!!!

wallacer:

Those look really good (which I wouldn’t have expected with those bitz you’ve used).

They remind me of the old Norse Dawrfs that are (or used to be ) in GW fluff. Should be a very well themed force when its done.

apocalypstia:

alrighty… starting to get in the swing of productions…

three more chaos warrior dwarf WIPs join their brothers… beardage is improving

now there were some concerns about ranking, and lol there still are. Its a tight squeeze but they will work as long as i dont go too over the top with the sheild design.

now on to some of those dwarf head/torso conversions: these first three are close to finished just have to decide on any fine details and whether or not they are really needed.

a fourth in the works progress shot, helm still undecided about what to sculpt, the beard and moustache seem to work pretty well - still have to get those tusks in there.

When i first started those head conversions all i had was the head bit - i hadent received the body sections yet. Now after receiving the body bits, well yeah… um… not good. I was going to ask about when a beard could get too beardy and if it was possible - now i dont need to ask. LOL its possible. Those 3 that mostly finished are pretty large and seem like they would crush the newer dwarf bodies under the sheer massiveness.

Is it just me or do the new dwarf plastics seem to be very small and frailish - more halfling like in proportions. I remember dwarfs being stout, robust and hearty peoples…

looks like i will have to beef up some fairy dwarfs to get them looking more cd proper like. So much more conversion work than i had anticipated in getting this army on the march. But the rewards of a very unique army showing should outweigh the pitfalls.

Earth Shaker and Death Rocket concepts are coming together. Just want to get the ES a little futher along before posting.

Bassman:

The last four heads are freaking awesome! I love the skull one because the sculpting is amzing and the third one (diagonal scales) because the scales are wonderful.

My compliments for the awesomeness of your ideas. I’d like to push you to go on with these ideas, I think they are much better than simply dwarfize chaos dwarfs. At the beginning I did not give much credit to your army but now I totally changed my mind :hat

Do not worry about beards, no real dwarf could think a beard could be too much :expressionless:

I just want to give you some suggestions.

Check page 21 of this tutorial for chain mail (well check the entire tutorial, it’s very good).

http://www.miez.nl/putty-n-paint/tutes/sculpting_tut01.pdf

Try to get sharper edges, your armor looks a bit “soft” because of GS nature. Sometimes it’s useful to sharp edges when Gs is in the middle of the curing process or when it is totally dry.

I’m sure your army will be amazing.

:hat off

Kera foehunter:

Great ranking them up !! i love your new mack they look great

tjub:

The three masks looks great, especially the last one… Might have to try something similar myself! :slight_smile:

Sargoth The Enslaver:

Well a good start!

I must say however,that if your useing great weaps just do one grupe of big amoured boys like they are the elite or something

and just use the Dwarf stuff for your normel guys

Da Crusha:

I think they look cool but once you put weapons and shields on they wont leave much room if any, for ranking up the models

Allanp:

i really like the stockyness of them. really brings up mind images that i first had of dwarfs from tolkein etc. solid little road blocks :stuck_out_tongue: :hat off