[Archive] 1250 Trial List LoA

Barukh:

This is my first list write up for Chaos Dwarfs and will be the foundation of how I plan on starting. I will definitely need some advice to fix the bugs :slight_smile:

Heroes

Daemonsmith Sorcerer-130

Lvl 2 Lore of Metal

Infernal Castellan-180

-Sword of Might

-Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

-Ironcurse Icon

Core

15x Infernal Guard-285

-Fireglaives

-Musician & Standard

-Banner of Eternal Flame

15x Infernal Guard-275

-Fireglaives

-Musician & Standard

Special

15x Infernal Ironsworn-270

-Musician & Standard

Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher-100

Grand Total:1240

Just plan on using the fireglaives to make some decent holes as I march across along with the deathrocket. Castellan goes into the Ironsworn to create a durable block in most forms of damage. Daemonsmith chills with the rocket allowing re-rolls and a LOS, also trying to wreck heavy cav with the sig spell, or try aiming for the buffers for my own guys, though they may not need it with already 3+ armor during the shooting/magic phases. The fire banner is because a dark elf player at my store runs dual hydras and I don’t want to necessarily rely on the rocket to take them out due to the chance of scattering way off.

MLP:

A lot of infantry there! A lot of people will advise against so much, and many don’t rate the Ironsworn. Personally I like them, but they take up points that could often be used on better special choices.

Fireglaives are generally seen as an expensive choice and not worth using on your main blocks, maybe as a support unit but their reduced armour and low shooting range makes them not worth their points.

The main opinion here is that Infernal Guard with their standard hand weapon and shield are the best option. with 3+ 6++ save they’re extremely hard to kill. Use them as an anvil and have something else as the main damage unit.

I like lore of metal, I think it works well with Chaos Dwarf weaknesses. A lot of people will suggest fire or death though but it probably depends on who your opponents are.

I wouldn’t give your Castellan that armour as he can get a 2+ save very easily for cheaper. Also he might as well have great weapon rather than a +strength magic weapon because he is only initiative 2 so will probably strike last anyway.

I would suggest a Great weapon and the Mask of the furnace for your Castellan which should cost about the same. That gives him better save and better damage for not much lost. The Charmed or Enchanted shield for your Daemonsmith wouoldn’t hurt either.

For a list this size I would have something like:

Daemonsmith

Castellan BSB (as above)

20 Infernal Guard HW & S & full command

4 Bull Centaur Great Weapons/6 Kdaii Fireborn

Deathshrieker

Magma cannon or Hellcannon depends on points

Hope these points help you out

Barukh:

Thanks MLP. I really enjoy infantry xD especially with this army. Fireglaives I do understand where they come in as expensive, and they do lose that 3+ armor and 6++ parry, but both is only in combat. They had a shooting halberd essentially to each guy, and is definitely brutal, though I can give way to having just a small support unit of them. Most of this was all personal preference. We do move only 3". Everyone else is faster. I can live hitting on 5+ for turns 2-3 before combat starts. I understand the point on the great weapon on the castellan as well, so I could probably change that. Reason I took the armor was because it also forked out a good MR, which does help in my meta (everybody finds room for fire/metal/death wizards). I am not a big fan of the K’daii Fireborn. Love the models, but the rules screwed them over. They have to essentially take 10 toughness tests a game, and at T4 combined with losing D3 wounds per failed test, I am not liking those odds. Ironsworn are basically my “chaos warriors” of the army. For the same price as the fireglaive guys, I get +1 WS and magical attacks @S5 instead of an AP shooting attack and a halberd. I will definitely change around the Castellan for sure and will debate on the BSB choice. Everyone is a 9 with at least a 4+ at T4. I would personally be scared if I was hoping a BSB would be what keeps me from breaking. Thanks for the help!

CopperPot:

Fireborn will take 4 toughness tests in 5 turns mate you only take toughness tests on your turn and your first turn is free you start taking them on your second turn

maded12:

All the good options in CD are in their special and rare slots. The ironsworn are litteraly the only special which has very few/almost no lovers at all. Every other special is better then the iron sworn. If you want to find out why just search the discussion threads. This has been talked about and then some and then again. They are the worst special choice in the whole army.

I would really take MLP’s post to hart. His advice is solid (although not my style :P)
And fireborn ROCK, just not as much as BC’s (as you might notice I’m in the BC camp if you want to find out more about this… read the other threads here)

Barukh:

Fireborn will take 4 toughness tests in 5 turns mate you only take toughness tests on your turn and your first turn is free you start taking them on your second turn

CopperPot
Fair enough, so 5 (assuming you make it through 6 turns) you still fail a third of those, so essentially two. Making you lose 2 guys a game on average. I just don't see where that will ever be good in any scenario. It forces you to have to buy 6 just to be playable.

@maded12:
I am taking MLP's advice very seriously. I have had long debates with friends about it today. I am definitely thinking about dropping the ironsworn down into either regular guard or trade them out for something else. I will consider between the BC or Fireborns, though it looks like it will be BC.
I will definitely romp around the threads for a bit, figure out what my choices are.

Will come out with an updated list by tomorrow morn!

MLP:

At the end of the day your army should always be made up of the models you like and the style you like to play :slight_smile: what’s the point in Warhammer otherwise!

I love the Infantry in the army but the problem is that if you want Ironsworn, you already have to have your minimum core which if you don’t like Hobgoblins are going to be Infernal Guard. I thin kmost peoples problems with Ironsworn are that Infernal Guard can do the same job slightly less well, for slightly less points and not take up special.

Personnally I really rate Ironworn, they’re scary to any opponent who’s not met them before thinking they’re just diffeerent dwarfs! But I think they’re best place is in an army with All/most of it’s core as Hobgoblins, where their eliteness complements the hordes.

With the MR armour , I think(not sure) that you could get the same save and a MR for cheaper just combining magic armour, banner & talisman. 35 points I think for enchanted shield and MR2.

Barukh:

So I was aruptly awoken by a doorbell @ 7:45 this morning…going to exact revenge on my friends later…lol well I came up with an updated list:

Heroes

Daemonsmith-130

-Lvl 2 Lore of Metal

Infernal Catellan-175

-BSB

-Great Weapon

-Dragonhelm

-Talisman of Endurance

Core

20x Infernal Guard-260

-Musician & Standard

15x Infernal Guard-285

-Fireglaives

-Musician & Standard

-Banner of Eternal Flame

15x Infernal Guard-275

-Fireglaives

-Musician & Standard

Special

Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher-125

-Hellbound

To sum this all up, I took alot of the advice from MLP. Made my Castellan a BSB w/great weapon. He still has a 3+ armor and 5+ ward which will change to a 2+ against flaming attacks. I made my Ironsworn block a regular block of IG, then bumped them up to 20. Solid anvil and bunker for the BSB. My Daemonsmith will still sit all pretty next to his now Hellbound Deathrocket. Still very infantry heavy (my personal preference :D) so how am I looking now?

MLP:

I like it! A nice refined version of your original, it’s not often you see so much infantry in these lists so I’d be interested to see how well they when you have some battles.