[Archive] 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6 [DONE]

Bloodbeard:

I would love some live blogging on facebook during the game, that would raise my Birthday to another level - and be an awesome gift!

Malorndk:

I’ll try Bloodbeard, but can’t promise anything. We are slow players and 14000 pts is a lot, and Nagash can easily summon a 1000 points back per magic phase if we don’t shut him down. #prayforashstorm

Fuggit Khan:

and Nagash can easily summon a 1000 points back per magic phase

Malorndk

Carcearion:

Woah man, sounds like killing him or not will really be the crux of the game. His model is huge, can we smash him down from across the table with our legendary daemon forged artillery? I understand we have a sizable presence in the chaos forces in this match.

Lol I know your the GM and you have to be a bit impartial and probably dont wanna strategize too much on one teams behalf, but well… Go Team Chaos! :hat

Malorndk:

We have deployment rules in place that forces warmachines on first, forces them to spread rather evenly across our deploymentzone and restricts their total numbers to 7. This means that Nagash can probably survive through deployment, even though we will bring dual dreadquake, dual hellcannon, dual deathshrieker and a skullcanon as our lucky seven. But we have insane magic as well, just not on the Nagash level :wink:

Malorndk:

Objectives

I have finally begun on the objectives. Aside from collecting the bits, I have made the bases with some spackling paste. The WoC player will make 2 of the Objectives on the dessert board, so I have 3 more for the dessert and 5 for the rocky part of the battlefield.

TheHoodedMan:

Finally I read through this…holy Moses!

A really great job and also a blueprint and inspiration for doing something similar.

Malorndk:

Thanks Hood!

Glad you liked it :slight_smile:

Malorndk:

Objectives finished

I have finished the 8 objectives I started on two days ago. The last two Objectives will be made by the WoC player and be on Dessert bases, so we will end up with 5 dessert bases and 5 rocky bases.
I decently happy with the end result, although this was just speed building and painting. I’ll start on the board piece connecting our two existing boards in two weeks.

Pile of weapons
"A pile of weapons has been left in the dessert."
Effect on unit capturing this objective: None

Dragon Bones
"Ancient Monstrosities birthed in an age of arcana once dominated the world of the living. Now the dragon bones residual magics will aid the undead who feasts on the raw energies"
Effect on unit capturing this objective: An Undead unit with this Object loose D3 fewer models to crumble.

Effigy of Usekph
"The Golden Effigy of Usekph is one of Quatars most sought after riches. This sinister statue looms over both infantry and cavalry and it’s massive weight will restrict even a score of warriors, if they try to drag it along."
Effect on unit capturing this objective: This unit gets -1 to its Movement characteristic. On a 4+ the unit adds a single power dice to the controlling team�?Ts pool.

Warpstone Meteorite
"The green moon Morrslieb has rained green meteorites over the world since the End Times began. Each stone pulsates with corrupting power, and the Skavens has sought these stones for millennia. Nagash boosted his power back in the days when he prepared the Great Ritual that created the Tomb Kings. Mere foot soldiers will not be able to draw powers from the warpstone, but the powers in the stone will claim casualties as the unit secures the powers from the enemies powerhungry grip."
Effect on unit capturing this objective: The unit gets a 6+ ward save, but suffers 2D6 S1 attacks at the end of the movement phase. These attacks are distributed as shooting, counts as being magical and allows no armour save.

Haunted Tome
"This humongous tome lies free to grab for greedy warriors wanting to impress their warlords or wizards. Evil spirits linger to the book and screams ghostly howls that destroys the weak willed warriors, to protect the book’s secret"
Effect on unit capturing this objective: The unit is affected by a Ghostly Howl at the end of the movement phase. To resolve a Ghostly Howl, roll 2D6+2. For each point by which the result exceeds the unit’s Leadership, the target unit suffers 1 Wound with no armour saves allowed. Wounds from a Ghostly Howl are magical attacks and are distributed as if from shooting.

Skull Warning
"A small collection of bones serve as a warning for others. Nothing major at play here, but collecting bones has been an old tradition for both Northern warriors and undead necromancers."

The Lost Familiar
"Long ago a powerful mage succumbed to the unrelenting Nehekharan dessert. His remains has long since been eaten by time, except his spell-wrought spellbook. Enchanted items lasts forever, so the everlasting book can still be claimed. The enchantments binds an ethereal familiar to the owners will. For centuries it has stayed vigil over it’s masters old book."
Effect on unit capturing this objective: On a 4+ the unit adds a single dispel dice to the controlling team�?Ts pool.

Quatar Border Statue
"Many Nehekharan cities has old statues that marks the cities border, and Quatar is no exception. These statues doesn’t hold any magics, but the look terrifying when carried to battle by grusome warriors."

Carcearion:

Wow these are really great objectives! My favorite is the golden effigy. What is it from? At first I thought it was a Reaper figure but now I’m not sure.

Malorndk:

Thanks Carcearion! I have absolutely no idea when or where I got it. I’m pretty sure it’s from between 1996-2000 and non-GW. That’s all I know. My brother and I bought it solely because it looked cool, and we found no use for it until now. It’s pretty big and wouldn’t even be able to rank up on a 25x25mm base.

Fuggit Khan:

Those objective markers are super slick. My favorite is the Dragon Bones, but each of them is a joy to look at and well thought out in design.

I am a bit puzzled by the effects of the Haunted Tome? Does a team get bonus/victory points overall for collecting objectives? Because the effects of the Tome can self inflict upon the unit, with no apparent unit bonus. So does the bonus of capturing the objective outweigh the suffering of a magical attack? Maybe I’m overlooking something :wink:

You know, I would love to see a AC or GH for making objective markers!

Nice work Malorndk :hat off

Carcearion:

I really want to ask (should have in my original post) , what’s your technique for doing your metalics? The gold on the statue looks so good. It dosent look like the typical metallic color/wash/dry brush metalic color, its got a kind of… glowy smoothness to it.

Malorndk:

@ Fuggit: Thanks a ton dude! Yeah the idea is that each of the Objectives awards Scenario Points (Counting as 100 Victory Points each) at the end of the game). Each Objective gives 1-3 Scenario Points, depending on their effects in game. A buff effect = 1 SP, No effect = 2 SP and a negative effect = 3 SP (General guidelines ofc). So yeah, the Haunted Tome is a bad item to carry around, but will award the unit 3 Scenario Point if they survive to the end of the game. The cunning general will put pressure around the Tome, to avoid the enemy going for it, but not claim until turn 5 or 6 to reduce its damage output, while generals at my play level will try to load it onto some big, cheap Hobgoblin unit in turn 1 and then hide in a corner an pray for average rolls xD
The exact rules for objective can be read HERE

@ Carcearion: Thanks for the kind words mate. My gold is super simple. Spray black. Then basecoat in Gehena Gold, which is pretty good at actually covering shit. Then I “edge-highlight” with Auric Armour Gold or a similar bright gold, that can’t cover much on its own, but blend well with the Gehena Gold. When I say edge highlight here I don’t mean the one with the fine detail brush. The shiny gold is applied in decent amounts around edges, and surfaces than protrudes or are big. I finished with a mix of Lahmian Medium and Nuln Oil. 50-50% Lahmian.

Bloodbeard:

Wow! So nice!

Effigy of Usekph - what an absolutely cool model! And the metal paint job is ace. Where’s this dude from? And is he converted?

The Haunted Tome - I want that bit! That is an awesome looking bit! Where is that from? It’s the perfect wizard tome.

Qatar Border Statue - … this is close to heresy. You can convert and mod this old beauty, only if you still have an original for Heroquest. … at least give him some awesome rules. The is evil wizard of Heroquest after all.

Very nice objectives, really looking forward to this crazy game.

Malorndk:

Thanks a ton for the appraise Bloodbeard!

The Effigy is unconverted (except for it’s tiny pedestal) but I have no idea how to identify the model. I might ask on the Oldhammer group. I bought it around 2000 in Faraos Cigarer (Danish miniature shop) and it might be a DnD mini, but I really don’t know. Super cool though.

The Haunted Tome is from the Nagash kit. Nagash can be assembled with either sword or open book. Most people use the open book assembly, which leaves a spare book, as Nagash must always have the Nine Books of Nagash, and he already has an open one in his right hand. So if you know anyone who owns Nagash, he will most likely has this bit (And a gigantic unused evil sword)! The book is pretty big though. It’s on a 25*25mm base on my picture :slight_smile:

And the Evil Wizard from HeroQuest is my second spare. I have a least 1 or two so I can wreck my kids as the evil wizard once they get old enough!

Malorndk:

Connecting battle field board acquired

I went shopping with the little one (8 months) and got myself the MDF board cut out by the store, loaded the board onto the baby carriage and went on my merry way as the little one fell asleep (No babies harmed during this experiment) :wink:

I walked around 4km, and arrived at my parent�?Ts house. Watered up some spackling paste and applied it in a thin layer where I wanted rocky texture to catch later highlights.

The trick here is to keep the texture pretty flat, so that terrain features and movement trays can be placed over it, without chipping the texture or making unit trays stand on too wobbly a surface.

I also found the beginning of a forest for the rocky board, so I might as well finish it as well. Most people now this trick, but I might as well be transparent about my design decisions. Woods for wargames are best made as base signalling the woods measurement, and then the trees each have the own small base. This allows the players to move the trees and let units walk through the wood, without ever moving the base of the wood.

Admiral:

This is a monster project to savour. Insane or brilliant? Obviously both, as any true Daemonsmith should be! Best of luck, you Dane, and great work so far. :slight_smile:

Malorndk:

Two new Scenario Special Rules and their reasoning

Alakanash and Khenash-an

"If Nagash or Arkhan the Black has stored power dice in an earlier magic phase with their arcane staffs, these dice can exceed the maximum limit of 24 dice that can be held in the power pool."

This rule will probably not become relevant, but it inclines Team Undead to save some firepower for later, while not risk wasting it at a crucial moment.

Unfocused Fire

"An enemy unit can only be the target of your warmachines twice per shooting per shooting phase. This restriction means, that Stone Throwers initial centre placement can not touch the same units base more than twice a shooting phase. If a cannon aims towards a specific unit, it counts as an attempt to hit the unit."

This rule will have a huge impact on the game. It reduces the possibility of autokilling an expensive character in the shooting face greatly, so that Glottkin, Nagash, Drazhoath and the Mortarchs has a good chance of coming into play. The shooting phase is normally geared for 2000-4000 battles, and with this amount of expensive, long range warmachines available it would statisticly autokill a Nagash per shooting phase, no matter what the player did with Nagash in the deployment, movement and magic phase prior to his opponents shooting phase. With this rule I hope the shooting phases will apply pressure all over the battle field, and not eliminate one prime threat a turn, with a surgeon scalpels precision. It still has the opportunity to eliminate both Glottkin or Nagash in a single phase. It can happen, but the odds goes down massively for the likelihood of that happening.

More on the board progression later today I hope :slight_smile:

Fuggit Khan:

loaded the board onto the baby carriage and went on my merry way as the little one fell asleep (No babies harmed during this experiment) ;)

Malorndk
Bwahahaha! Best blog update ever, I'm sending you some slaves for the baby and carriage