[Archive] 1500 points against High Elves

Vogon:

First a bit of background

Last week I had arranged a game with one of the guys at the local store.  We had decided to have a bit of fun both of us taking Daemons at 1500points.

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the guy I�?Td arranged it with was unable to go so I had a pickup game in the store with a guy who plays high elves.  As soon as he knew he was facing daemons he re-wrote his list to include all the Swordmasters he had (35 or so) in one big unit with banner of the world dragon and plonked an Archmage in there.

Needless to say I didn�?Tt win.

I arranged a rematch but taking my trusty Dwai Zhaar and expecting a tailored list I went with the following:

Level 4 Sorcerer Prophet, Chalice of Doom and Darkness
Dark Castellan, BSB, shield, Ironcurse Icon
15 IG Full Command
10 Fireglaves
3 Bull Centaurs, shield, full command
Magma Cannon
K�?TDaai Destroyer

Once I got there I discovered his list which to me was a bit of a surprise considering my expectation.  He had:
Prince, Star Lance, Armour of Caledor, Griffon
8 Silver Helms, shields, full command
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Bows
15 Archers, full command
30 Swordmasters, full command, Banner of the World dragon

3 Eagle Claw Bolt throwers

Rolled for scenario and ended up with battle for the pass.

Set up photos :slight_smile:
My Chaos Dwafs

His High Elves

I got first turn so moved things forwards aiming the K�?TDaai at the Swordmasters and the Bull Centaurs at his unit of Silver Helms with the Prince on Griffon in it.  I moved the Fireglaves with the sorcerer prophet through the woods (which turned out to be a Wild Wood). This in retrospect was an error as it took it out of the 3�?� range of the Magma Cannon but it didn�?Tt really impact until later in the game.

In my magic phase I irresistibly cast Flames of Azgorh which I targeted at the Silver Helms but it scattered a full 6�?� and missed completely.  The resultant miscast killed 4 Fireglaves and but thankfully left my Prophet intact and he passed his toughness test.
Shooting and the remaining Fireglaves were out of range of anything but my magma cannon took 7 Swordmasters out losing him a rank.
No combat at this point so onto his turn.
He declared no charges but moved everything forward except the archers and bolt throwers.
No magic so straight on to shooting.  His archers let fly at the Bull centaurs but failed to wound.  The Bolt throwers all shot at the Destroyer (single bolt) but all failed to wound as well. The Reavers shoot at the Fireglaves killing one.  As there was no combat that was the end of his turn.

End of turn 1

My turn 2
K�?TDaai passed his Toughness test and declares charge on the Swordmasters.  They pass their Terror test and hold.  The Bull Centaurs Declare charge on the Silver helms/Prince who hold.  I was very relieved at getting the charge off against the Silver Helms as I really didn�?Tt fancy receiving their charge with all those lances (and a Star Lance) that were equipped.
IG March forwards again in theory to support the Destroyer next turn.

Magic and I successfully cast Curse of Hashut on his Prince taking him down to one wound and then Ashstorm his Reavers so they can�?Tt shoot or charge next turn.
Shooting and my 5 remaining Fireglaves shoot at the Reavers, 5 hits , 5 wounds 5 dead Reavers.  So I didn�?Tt need to Ashstorm them after all.   The Magma Cannon shot at the archers but only managed a couple of wounds thanks to only rolling a 2 on the artillery dice so the template only grazed the front of the unit.
Combat and the Bull Centaurs did an admiral job.  After a flurry of blows from the Silver Helms unit only one Griffon Claw managed to get through the armour causing a wound.  Unfortunately I did none in return but thanks to the charge and charging downhill the result was a draw.
The K�?TDaai despite some relatively poor dice rolls for its attacks still managed to win combat by 7 thanks to the blazing body and the Thunderstomp.  The Swordmasters fled and I couldn�?Tt catch them as they rolled boxcars.

His turn 2 and he has no charges to declare and he fails to rally his Swordmasters who keep running.

He takes some once again takes some pot shots at the K�?TDaai with 2 of his Bolt throwers (single bolt) neither of which do anything and one of his bolt throwers (6 shotting) at the IG slowly making their way across the battlefield and killing one.  The archers also let fly at the IG but d no damage.
Combat and this time it�?Ts the turn of the Prince to do a wound on the Bull Centaurs and this time the Bull Centaurs get one wound past the armour save of the Silver helms once again making the combat a draw.
My turn 3
The K�?TDaai fails its toughness test and takes a single wound.  
Charges, well the K�?TDaai has to charge the fleeing Swordmasters and catches them wiping them out.  Throwing caution to the wind the Fireglaves and Prophet charge the flank of the Silver Helms and Prince.
The IG march once again in a vain attempt to get into combat to support the Bull Centaurs.
Photo at the end of my movement phase

Magic and cast Ashstorm at one of the bolt throwers but fail to cast Curse of Hashut on the Prince.
Shooting and my Magma cannon misfires (with no chance to re-roll as the Sorcerer Prophet is too far away) and is destroyed.
Combat and the pointy eared ones go first with the Prince and Griffon directed all their attacks at the Firglaves killing 3 leaving just 2 and the Prophet.  The silver helms all went against the Centaurs but did no damage.  In return the Sorcerer Prophet managed to land a wound on the Griffon which ended up as 2 wounds thanks to the Darkforged Weapon being D3 multiple wounds and the Fireglaves with their St5 took another wound off leaving the griffon with one wound left.  The Bull centaurs managed to kill another Silver helm leaving the combat a win for the Chaos Dwarfs.  The elves passed their Break Test and held.

His turn 3
He decides that his silver helms need a bit of back up and charges in with his Archers
He shoots the two Bolt throwers (single shot) at the K�?TDaai again this time managing one wound.
Combat and All the Elf attacks end up doing a single wound on the Fireglaves which fails to save.  My attacks manage to finish off the Griffon but foolishly I direct all my Bull Centaur�?Ts attacks against the Silver Helms instead of doing some against the unarmoured archers.  I lose the combat by one but hold with both units thanks to the Ld10 of the Sorcerer Prohpet.

At this point we had to end the game as the store was closing.

I think if the game had carried on there was no doubt I would have won eventually, especially if/when I got the IG into combat against the flank of the archers :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Vogon

Dînadan:

Sounds like a fun game :slight_smile:

One query - you mention the High Elf Prince was in the Silver Helms unit; do you mean that it had actually joined the unit or was hanging around near it? I ask because I’m not sure that he’s allowed to join the unit if on a griffon - going by the main rulebook the Griffon is a Monster, not Monstrous Cavalry/Beast, and ridden monsters aren’t allowed to join units, so unless the unit type’s been changed in the most recent HE army book, your opponent couldn’t do that.

Vogon:

He was in the unit.

The front rank was Griffon 3 Silver Helms the back rank was 5 silver helms granting one rank of rank bonus.

I did wonder at the time but didn’t really think too much about it to be honest.

Cheers

Vogon

Dînadan:

'welcome - to be honest I wasn’t to sure myself and had to double check the rulebook to make sure. lol

Skink:

Ah, reading about dying elves really made my day. That’s a very strange High Elves list anyway… I mean, it’s like this guy ditched the strongest stuff.

Vogon:

I thought that when He started placing the units.

I kept waiting for the secret weapon sneaky tactic to be deployed but it never happened.

He knew I was bringing Chaos Dwarfs and I’m amazed he didn’t bring any magic to the game.

Cheers

Vogon

Skink:

I kept waiting for the secret weapon sneaky tactic to be deployed but it never happened.

He knew I was bringing Chaos Dwarfs and I'm amazed he didn't bring any magic to the game.

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon
Maybe this guy never faced us on the field... And sort of brought a "heavy hitters, heavy artillery list".

Dînadan:

He knew I was bringing Chaos Dwarfs and I'm amazed he didn't bring any magic to the game.

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon
Maybe this guy never faced us on the field... And sort of brought a "heavy hitters, heavy artillery list".

Skink
Maybe he didn't realise Chaos Dwarfs are different to regular Dwarfs? Perhaps he assumed all varieties of Dwarfs don't use magic and thought there was no need to bring anti-magic to the battle?

Skink:

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon

Skink
Maybe he didn't realise Chaos Dwarfs are different to regular Dwarfs?  Perhaps he assumed all varieties of Dwarfs don't use magic and thought there was no need to bring anti-magic to the battle?

Dînadan
Maybe... But even if that's the case, Silver Helms and a Griffon are an extremely poor match even against Vanilla Dwarf.

TheFNG:

What a puzzling list indeed. I actually am a fan of the prince on griffon, but putting him with silver helms was both incorrect and stupid even if possible. He must have been looking for look out sirs, but still his griffin is much more useful if he uses it to charge the k’daai or takes it into your cannon.

Either way, well played on your part! Glad to hear you enjoyed the game.

Vogon:

To Skink’s point I have certainly never played the guy using Chaos Dwarfs before. He’s relatively new to our store having recently moved into the area and has mostly been playing 40K since he’s been with us.

I think he was expecting magic otherwise he wouldn’t have used the Banner of the World Dragon which makes the list make even less sense (to me).

In the end it was the unit of Silver Helms with the Griffon which gave me the most trouble but if he had kept the Griffon Separate then I think I would have had much more trouble as I would have to have chosen which to attempt the charge on leaving my Bull Centaurs open to a charge from the other.

Cheers

Vogon

Kamphre:

You wrote that in your turn 2, the Destroyer charge and killed 7 swordmasters, who fled.

He was steadfast and furthermore missed his leadership test? And a second time to rally them? I wish I had the same luck! :slight_smile: