[Archive] 1500 points Versus High Elves

Vogon:

Hi guys,

I’ve got a 1500 point game coming up tomorrow after work against a guy with High Elves.

I don’t know what he’ll be bringing but I know that last game he had he brought along a big unit of Phoenix Guard with the Banner of The World Dragon, so I strongly suspect that these will make an appearance.

Is it worth bringing along a K’Daai?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Cheers

Vogon

Grimbold Blackhammer:

It’s pretty much always worth it to bring a K’daii Destroyer! High Elves he might struggle because they have so many 2+ ward vs fire models but he is fast enough to dodge most of those.

Vogon:

The only things that really concerns me with the K’Daai are the Dragon Princes. At least anything on foot means that I still get Thunderstomps that aren’t flaming attacks so I can do some damage to any nobles/princes on foot. But as you say with a Move of 9 I should be able to keep clear of them.

I haven’t really faced the new book is there anything apart from the banner and Dragon Armour I need to be concerned about?

rpitts2004:

At 1500 points how can the high elves bring a large unit of PG, like 20?

The banner is a 2+ ward save vs magical attacks which the destroyer does not have, his attacks are flaming.

Dragon princes used to be immune to flaming attacks, now they get a 2+ wardsave so they actually got nerfed a tad.

At 1500 points these should be non issues.

Vogon:

At 1500 points how can the high elves bring a large unit of PG, like 20?

rpitts2004
If he takes no other special units then 44 including banner and full command ;)

Though I don't believe he has that many so 20 is probably more realistic.

This is what I'm thinking of taking

Lvl4 Sorcerer LoH
Lvl1 Daemonsmith (to babysit the magma cannon)
Dark Castellan
15 IG full command
10 Fireglaves
Magma Cannon
3 Bull Centaurs (shields)
K'Daai Destroyer

Geist:

Loose the lvl 1, as your LVL4 can baby sit the warmachine, just put him in the corner of his unit and put that unit within 1 inch of the magma cannon. You save some points and still have a reroll. Then I suggest loose the 10 of fire glavies take those points make the main brick all fire glavies and bigger. Lastly take points from loss of lvl1 and give bulls great weapons and the 5pt 1 use reroll banner, and if points allow make them into a 6 man unit.

These changes give you more punch, and units that will be harder for the elves to eat up.

Skink:

Loose the lvl 1, as your LVL4 can baby sit the warmachine, just put him in the corner of his unit and put that unit within 1 inch of the magma cannon.  You save some points and still have a reroll.  Then I suggest loose the 10 of fire glavies take those points make the main brick all fire glavies and bigger.  Lastly take points from loss of lvl1 and give bulls great weapons and the 5pt 1 use reroll banner, and if points allow make them into a 6 man unit.
These changes give you more punch, and units that will be harder for the elves to eat up.

Geist
Agree with Geist! And what about Blunderbusses instead of Fireglaives? I never tried them but reading reports in this forum they are supposedly good against T3 troops.

Geist:

Sure they would be good, but you get better st attacks with glaives. Also you can save a fair number of points on glaives vs blunderbusses.

Vogon:

Unfortunately I don’t have any Blunderbuss wielding guys.

I could field up to 20 Fireglaves with what I currently have painted.

The only problem I see with the Sorcerer Prophet is that a lot of the Lore of Hashut spells are fairly short range so I’m not sure sitting at the back with the much longer range Magma Cannon is the right place for him.

Still I’ll have another look at my list.

Also as I’ve now finished painting it would the Deathshrieker be worth including (say dropping the Castellan)

Cheers

Vogon

rpitts2004:

I use my fireglaives as blunderbuss all the time. No one should have issues with that

Geist:

Do not drop your castellan, his purpose is double fold. First hes harder to kill than most heros, second he makes the unit stubborn. People will put an insane number of attacks on him to make him die. That by itself makes him very useful. The rocket battery is intersting but magma is just better because it kills on a 2+ instead of just wounding on a 4+ vs elf foot troops. Lastly yes the lore of Hashut is short range, expect the one spell you should be tossing all the time, flames. Once he moves up you should be in range for ash storm, which at 24 inches is not that short range(same as a magma cannon).

Vogon:

So this is what I ended up going with (and won).

Lvl4 Sorcerer Prophet (Talisman of Preservation)

Dark Castellan (Mask of the Furnace)

15 IG Full Command

10 Fireglaves

3 Bull Centaurs

Magma Cannon

K�?TDaai Destroyer

I�?Tll post a battle report later today.

Cheers

Vogon

Da Crusha:

32 MODELS!:o

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Vogon:

32 MODELS!:o

Da Crusha
I know it's a lot isn't it :)

Anyway battle report here

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13244

Cheers

Vogon