[Archive] 15mm KoW Vanguard - "the Dragon's Egg"

tjub:

200pts Kings of War - Vanguard, Abyssal Dwarfs vs Dwarfs

Hade two great games of 15mm KoW Vanguard yesterday, the first was �?�the Dragon Egg�?�. Where some Dwarf rangers were about to rob the nest of a dragon, but were intercepted by Chaos Dwarfs which had other plans…
Epic moments were when the mother dragon came down to roast one of the rangers and the oh so brave Dwarf Captain on a boar tried to ride down the K�?Tdaii.
Once the battlefield was secure and the last Dwarfs had fled the Chaos Dwarfs sent the remaining flee bitten slave orc to capture the egg… The dragon will be raised to Hashuts honor! :hat off

Deployment, with the ranger about the get the egg.

The Chaos Dwarves running as fast as they can trying to intercept…

…which was solved by the mother dragon her self luckily, badly hurting one of the Rangers.

Freddy the Dwarf wizard fire of some magic while the other Dwarfs brace for impact.

Mayhem breaks out as the Dwarfs are eager for battle and counter charges!

Meanwhile Sir Ulf the Boartamer tries to ride down the K’daii by himself, which despite Sir Ulf being a capable dwarf with a mighty axe didn’t end well for him…

The two Rangers are struggling with the egg, which now seems to be a race against time with the Chaos Dwarfs quickly decimating their forces!

When one of the Rangers flee the battle the remaining wounded one are quickly stricken down by the surviving flea-bitten slave orc. Which is ordered to secure the dragons egg with the Chaos Dwarfs surveilling on a safe distance should the mother return… :hat off

Jasko:

200pts Kings of War - Vanguard, Abyssal Dwarfs vs Dwarfs

Hade two great games of 15mm KoW Vanguard yesterday, the first was �?�the Dragon Egg�?�. Where some Dwarf rangers were about to rob the nest of a dragon, but were intercepted by Chaos Dwarfs which had other plans...
Epic moments were when the mother dragon came down to roast one of the rangers and the oh so brave Dwarf Captain on a boar tried to ride down the K�?Tdaii.
Once the battlefield was secure and the last Dwarfs had fled the Chaos Dwarfs sent the remaining flee bitten slave orc to capture the egg... The dragon will be raised to Hashuts honor! :hat off

tjub
Haha, thanks for that wonderful game report! Great scenario, fully painted armies, sounds like a lot of fun. And very Chaos-Dwarfy behavior in the end :) glory to Hashut!
How long did that game take to play?

tjub:

Haha, thanks for that wonderful game report! Great scenario, fully painted armies, sounds like a lot of fun. And very Chaos-Dwarfy behavior in the end :) glory to Hashut!
How long did that game take to play?

Jasko
Thanks, with 15mm there is absolutely no reason to play with unpainted miniatures or terrain IMO.
Oh, didn't really note the time as we played two games and had a few beers and social time as well. But Id estimate a game of 200pts Vanguard would take 1,5h - 2h including deployment etc.

Normaly this senario would be more of a race towards the nest, but since the dwarfs had Rangers. They were able to deploy right next to the objective giving the Chaos Dwarfs no other option than to throw themselves at the Dwarfs trying to cut of the retreat of the Rangers. It gave a fun game. :)

I realyl enjoy the rules, they are very elegant. They are pretty simple mechanics but still leave a lot of options and decisions for the players as well as opportunities for heroic feats and failure against the odds. As noted in my thread about 15mm KoW and Vanguard the rules are free on Mantics site. The core rulebook though provides a lot of extra equipment, magic, scenarios etc. But I you are interested I strongly recommend that you take a look at the free rules. And Easy Army provides a free army builder as well.
As it happens a few of the Flora & Fauna items listed in Admiralty Miniatures Etsy shop are perfect for objectives. ;)

Antenor:

Thanks for the report, looks like you had a good time! Hope I’ll get to try Vanguard myself. Also, those really are beautiful minis! :hat off

tjub:

Thanks for the report, looks like you had a good time! Hope I'll get to try Vanguard myself. Also, those really are beautiful minis! :hat off

Antenor
Thanks, jupp its great fun!
Btw, there is a Vanguard campaign coming soon involving Abyssal Dwarfs. So if you are lucky you might get a friend to play thru it. Its called Ice & Iron if you want to look it up. :hat off