[Archive] 15mm Wargaming - which system?

Jasko:

Fellow Sorcerer-Prophets,

so all these tjublings are looking really good! Question is, what game system are you all actually using them in? I guess it’s technically possible to use them with WHFB or so, but then the distances would be a little off etc (and templates really devastating!) But surely there are unique game systems available?

tjub:

Well, I guess Im the one to answer here… :slight_smile:
First of Id say it depends on what you are after, skirmish or ranknfile? For skirmish we play Vanguard by Mantic and starting up Frostgrave as well. I know Dragon Rampant is another popular as well as Song of Blades and Heroes.
For ranknfile I will recommend Kings of War any day, great system. Smooth and with that big battle feeling to it without bogging down in unnecessary rules. An old classic is HOT(Hordes of Things) or maybe some newer rules like Battle Valor?

In my gaming group we have been playing 15mm Kings of War for a few years now and obviously love it. When Mantic released Vanguard we jumped into that as well since it ties together for campaigns/lore etc. Oh, and the best thing about KoW its all driven by objectives/mission. And each year Mantic release their Clash of Kings(CoK2019) with updated missions for the tournament scene, updated items, magic, formations, etc. So all you need is the rules, army lists and latest CoK. There is also a free army tool with Easy Army, the basic rules for KoW and Vanguard are free over at Mantic if you want to give it a try.

Easy Army
Mantic Rules

Assuming you are interested in 15mm KoW, we play by the 28mm rules and simply use cm instead of inch. Half all measurements for bases 4x10cm would be 2x5cm and contain 7-10 troops. The unit basing system is great for smaller games!
Peronally Id use 2mm MDF for bases whatever system you prefer.
Maybe I should write a “welcome to 15mm” article of which rules are out there or easily adoptable, manufacturers etc. :slight_smile:

Id recomend 15mm Fantasy Gaming on Facebook.

Here are some photos of our last battle, a small battle of Tjublings vs some of the last Free Dwarves.

Here is a bigger battle about 3000pts Id say, Goblins vs Free Dwarfs.

Vanguard is a skirmish set for night raids, scouting forces or minor clashes before the main battle using Kings of War.

Jasko:

Well, I guess Im the one to answer here... :)
First of Id say it depends on what you are after, skirmish or ranknfile? For skirmish we play Vanguard by Mantic and starting up Frostgrave as well. I know Dragon Rampant is another popular as well as Song of Blades and Heroes.
For ranknfile I will recommend Kings of War any day, great system. Smooth and with that big battle feeling to it without bogging down in unnecessary rules. An old classic is HOT(Hordes of Things) or maybe some newer rules like Battle Valor?

In my gaming group we have been playing 15mm Kings of War for a few years now and obviously love it. When Mantic released Vanguard we jumped into that as well since it ties together for campaigns/lore etc. Oh, and the best thing about KoW its all driven by objectives/mission. And each year Mantic release their Clash of Kings(CoK2019) with updated missions for the tournament scene, updated items, magic, formations, etc. So all you need is the rules, army lists and latest CoK. There is also a free army tool with Easy Army, the basic rules for KoW and Vanguard are free over at Mantic if you want to give it a try.

Easy Army
Mantic Rules

Assuming you are interested in 15mm KoW, we play by the 28mm rules and simply use cm instead of inch. Half all measurements for bases 4x10cm would be 2x5cm and contain 7-10 troops. The unit basing system is great for smaller games!
Peronally Id use 2mm MDF for bases whatever system you prefer.
Maybe I should write a "welcome to 15mm" article of which rules are out there or easily adoptable, manufacturers etc. :)

Id recomend 15mm Fantasy Gaming on Facebook.

Here are some photos of our last battle, a small battle of Tjublings vs some of the last Free Dwarves.

Here is a bigger battle about 3000pts Id say, Goblins vs Free Dwarfs.

Vanguard is a skirmish set for night raids, scouting forces or minor clashes before the main battle using Kings of War.

tjub
Cheers, thanks for that detailed answer! It indeed looks like fun. And I like that you can play it comfortably at a standard table :) I think both styles make sense, I would say that small skirmish games can be easily played on the road, maybe on a train ride or even in a car! But also the small size makes large-scale rank & file battles more manageable.

I think a "welcome to 15mm" would be very handy! I sure was looking for something like it :P Thanks for providing!

TheHoodedMan:

@Jasko: I’m from Germany, too (Franconia), just in case you are nearby.

Some people of our group wanted to try 15mm wargaming recently. Ruleswise we know already Kings of war in 28mm. It is a very solid system and is fun to play in 28 mm, so we try it also for 15mm.

I think we will half the distances and base sizes where possible.

I have to say that we normally play more T9A in 28 mm but we didn’t think one minute of using it for 15 mm (although I heard some people use it for the scale).

Single basing would be very unnerfing in my opinion and my fingers are far too clumsy :slight_smile: for constant reforming during games. That would also be true for WHF.

So unitbasing is a great advantage for KoW (and I think some other systems, too).

Hobbywise I already have some Tjublings and I like the idea to position them how I like on the regiment bases. I look forward to the challenge of painting them to a nice standard.

There is not so much time and money needed, so people are involved now who played no fantasy games for years. I hope this will last some time and will report how we progress. :hat off

tjub:

There is not so much time and money needed, so people are involved now who played no fantasy games for years. I hope this will last some time and will report how we progress. :hat off

TheHoodedMan
That as well, for me it was a lot about space and logistics as well. Being able to fit an huge army in a shoebox was super. Ive no problems justifying owning a bunch of them. Same for terrain etc, living in a smaller apartment in a city I don't have the luxury of extra space. And being able to run settings/campaigns at home without a basement full of stuff is super. :)

Ill sum up and share our thoughts here on 15mm KoW this far.

Jasko:

@Jasko: I'm from Germany, too (Franconia), just in case you are nearby.

TheHoodedMan
Cheers! Köln, so not too close (but also not completely impossible! :D) I'll keep my eyes on this 15mm thing. Admirality is going to have this Kickstarter... For now I anyway have to assemble/paint/play my 28mm army.

tjub:

Made a thread ment as an introduction here, please post any feedback. :slight_smile:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17785&pid=287463#pid287463