[Archive] 2,5k List for play?

TheHoodedMan:

Good list. I assume you play unrestricted?

The 4+ armor save on the khans can indeed be handy against warmachine crews or redirectors.

My experience is that the reroll on the shriekers is essential. Therefore a lvl 1 daemonsmith would be very very good and you could load the dispel scroll on him instead of the general.

I would try to squeeze the points for him somewhere out (I know you can`t squeeze water from a stone ;)).

sam585:

Ok, I broke down and remade the list. It still feels different, and I think it will be more functional then the previous. I did the change because I noticed that I was actually pretty scared to get into close combat with my guys, unless I had a very nice match up. This was mainly due to the fact that I did not really have a unit designed to be an anvil. The centaurs were stubborn, but I have come to the conclusion that using them as a mobile anvil was a waste. Biggest change to the force was my core, going for a big big block of infernal guard with handweapons and shields. I do like greatweapons, but after doing a lot of reflection I realized I had no unit that could just sit and grind for a few rounds. Infernal Guard with greatweapons when fighting a serious enemy unit only lasted about 2 rounds of combat before they could no longer hold out, or were killed to a dwarf. Now they can last for much much longer, and I do feel comfortable sending them face first into some pretty scarry match ups like a gutstar, maneaters, chaos warrior blocks, really everything but a tomb guard d.star.

Additionally, I dropped the Greatweapon from the Castellen, I was never impressed with his damage output, so he is now equipped with a shield to make him last longer. The Prophet also has had a change, taking up the stubborn crown. I did this because having only one hero with stubborn with just 2 wounds, he will die fairly quickly if my opponent decides to target him. With two characters both stubborn, that makes it much more difficult for that unit to break, and it gives me more freedom to play the unit in a horded formation which I hope to do in most “ideal” match ups.

I switched the lore also to death. I love my lore of hashut, but not rolling up ashstorm (a very real possibility) pretty much meant that I was going to battle with just one spell. I did not like how my magic phase and my opponents was dictated by just that one spell, (and flames of azgorh). Upon switching to death, I am also taking a level 1 Demonsmith with death to increase my chances of getting the one spell I really want being soulblight. Moreover, even if I don’t get soulblight the other spells all will synergize better and allow me to cast something of importance every turn, be it -3 LD, all the snipes, or P,Sun. Another positive now is that the demonsmith makes the rockets more accurate I did not want to go that route, as TheHoodedMan has stated it is very very good :P.

I lost 2-3 khans in the process, but I feel that the list will function better with all the other changes made.

I am still running the centaur block, but dropped the OTS from the Taur’ruk. He will still challenge out lords and heroes, but I can live with my opponent making some ward saves. I never really had him enter into a combat where the OTS truly mattered. Either the opponent had enough wounds that the combat was protracted anyway. Or the Taur’ruk never had the chance to engage that foe.

Lastly, I added a K’daii destroyer. I like the model I have for it, and it changes a lot how my opponent plays with his chaff units and deployment. I am expecting it to get led around a few turns and I will attempt to mitigate this as much as possible, but it is really an inevitability that hopefully my shield guard can deal with until the K’daii gets back on track.

-Lords-

Sorcerer Prophet (General)

Level 4 Wizard (death)

Darkforged Weapon

Enchanted Shield

Talisman of Endurance

Dispell Scroll

Crown of Command

-Heroes-

Infernal Castellan (BSB)

Shield

Mask of the Furnace

Bull Centaur Taur’ruk

Greatweapon

Blackshard Armour

Flamehelm

Dawnstone

Demonsmith

Level 1 death

Hobgoblin Khan

Shrieking Blade

Shield

Light Armour

Giant Wolf

Hobgoblin Khan

Shield

Light Armour

Giant Wolf

-Core-

39 Infernal Guard

FCMD

Razor Standard

20 hobgoblins

-Special-

6 Bull Centaurs

Greatweapons

Banner+Musician

Gleaming Pennent

Deathshrieker Rocket

Deathshrieker Rocket

-Rare-

K’daii Destroyer

So basically the army started really weird, and came back to be almost standard?

Doombeard:

This is the problem with L.O.A, no matter how you do it at 2500 points you will always end up with the same list more or less because its so limited. Not great is it!? I would favor larger games when playing this army, where I could bring more crazy shit like destroyers, fireborn and iron demons, and if forced to play 2500 point games I’d seriously consider counts as WoC as they have so much more choices/balance in their army list. Unless you are a tourny player in which case I’d just take what you can and play to its strengths. I still think BC’s and Wolfriders have a good synergy worth exploring. my list goes something like DS lev 2 , Taur’ruk, 2 Khans, Castellan BSB, 24 IG, x2 blocks of 40 naked hbgs, x2 ds missiles, Iron Demon, x5 BC, x12 Wolfriders

I havent played a game since 4th edition but i still think about it a lot!

sam585:

So tried the list in a 2day 5 game tournament.

Day 1-

Vampire Counts

Lizardmen

Dark Elves

Day 2-

Dark Elves

Skaven

I went 4-1 this tournament, and lost to the Skaven player from equal parts underestimating the power of stormfiends, and the bell rolling 13 and destroying the huge building in the center of the table. More so because of the building in the center of the table being destroyed.

The lizardmen battle, was kind of a bad guage of the list since he took an extremely weak list, it ended in a huge win for me.

The battles against the dark elves were both unbelivable satisfying. Versus the first dark elf player, my rocket kills his black dragon turn 1, K’daii kills his chaff units and then comes around on the top of 6 to help the Taur’ruk demolish a block of executioners.

The second battle I had against a dark elf, pegasus list with warlock star? Also was a very satisfying win. I had a huge building in my deployent so placed all my characters and guard inside of it to avoid being purple suned. Then turn 1 caress of laniph kills his BSB who had a 2+ ward versus magic (due to MR) and then it just sort of goes downhill for my opponent from there with me death sniping his general, his sorcerers getting sucked into the void, a Khan killing 2 bolt throwers and panicking a block of dark riders off the table, and the majority of his peg riders being slain.

The VC battle I had went very poorly for me due to me playing lore of death, like i do lore of hashut (6dicing everything). Even with me playing really stupid the first two magic phases, I still managed to pull a victory, in no small part to my Taur’ruk holding off a block of grave guard for 3 or 4 game turns.

The main thing I have taken from this is that no one seems to want to fight infernal guard! I do not think they saw one round of combat for the entire game, or any combat where the game was not already decided. I will likely switch them to blunders so that they can at least blow something away that gets to close.

sam585:

Now here is a combat list, last tournament of 8th edition, and I plan to go out using the siege giant, will report on how it goes.

Lords-

360-Sorcerer Prophet (General)

Level 4 Wizard (death)

Darkforged Weapon

Enchanted Shield

Talisman of Endurance

Dispell Scroll

-Heroes-

187- Infernal Castellan (BSB)

Shield

Flame Helm

Talisman of Preservation

220-Bull Centaur Taur’ruk

Blackshard Armour

Shield

Sword of Might

Dawnstone

135- Demonsmith

Level 2 fire

charmed shield

78- Hobgoblin Khan

Spear

Shield

Gamblers Armor

Giant Wolf

-Core-

533- 38 Infernal Guard

FCMD

Razor Standard

handwepons+shields

92- 21 hobgoblins

standard

Handweapons

-Special-

270- 5 Bull Centaurs

Greatweapons

Banner+Musician

Gleaming Pennent

-Rare-

300- Siege Giant

Runes of Hate

325- K’daii Destroyer

Abecedar:

Good Luck and go the Giant.

For a race of “slavers” he’s the only one we have in our list.

sam585:

So went 2-1, lost the second game mainly due to a miscast turn one 3 dicing soulblight.

Bigest change to the list would be to drop the hobgoblins, drop the level 2 upgrade and give him the dispell scroll and my level 4 the earthing rod, rhh en drop the hobgoblins for blunders.

Giant performed very well, dodging two empire cannons game 1, and killing a unit of greatsword to a man, killed an irondemon, and the in the last game rampages through a block of night goblins, slaughters a bloc bsb, a d a ton of blorcs. Giant so far in every game used made his points back, and his effectiveness is increased by runes of hate, having a better attack table, having access to lore of death to soulblight his opponents, and lastly having a k’daii destroyer act as a big distraction.

Petterwass:

INteresting thread.

Inspired me to try out a different list, similar to yours.

Gonna go with Fireglaives for the big unit instead since with Razor Standard, they should be almost equal to GW’s against T3 opponents. And hopefully they can get off a Stand and Shoot to make the ensuing combat easier.

Only rolling with 2 warmachines will be new and scary