[Archive] 20 Hobgoblins for £40

gIL^:

http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/hobgoblin-hand-weapon-warriors-x20-with-command-2976-p.asp

There not amazing but an ok alternative.

The command and champion look pretty cool though i might get them.

cornixt:

They are a weird cross between GW Hobgoblins and Savage Orcs.

Doombeard:

I bought 70 gw hobgobs on ebay for £165 recently, I had to import them from the states so got hit with £25 tax but thats roughly 20 for £45 or £2.25 each. Id rather pay the extra tenner and get gw ones, just means you have to spend some time hunting on ebay for the good bargains.

Theres one guy on ebay called Brigadesupport who is selling units of 20 gw for about £150 in his shop (I know right!!!?) but other than THAT guy most of the sellers seem to be leaving the cd stuff alone now which is good news and hopefully prices will slowly go down.

Check out Admirals Hobgoblin heads he sculpted too, they will be worth the wait when they finally get casted

gIL^:

I think they are not that bad, The paint scheme makes them look a bit sloppy.

The main minis are a bit poor but the command group i feel have enough character to fit in a unit of hobos :smiley:

Dînadan:

I think they are not that bad, The paint scheme makes them look a bit sloppy.

The main minis are a bit poor but the command group i feel have enough character to fit in a unit of hobos :D

gIL^
I think the paintjobs are really letting them down - going by the unpainted pics on the three packs (http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/hobgoblin-allies-318-c.asp) they don't look too bad; in fact I'd say they're fairly average rather than bad and I think what let's them down is they just don't have the charm/character of the GW ones.

For anyone who doesn't want to spend the time hunting on eBay/paying through the nose if they can't find a bargain/willing to risk (accidentally) buying illegal recasts/etc these could actually be a decent substitute.

Doombeard:

Yeah I’d like to see a decent example of them painted nicely. I agree the paint job isn’t what you’d expect for the shopfront. I’ve been lurking around looking for decent paintjobs of Russian Alternative CD models and Thebattleforge hobbos and Mantic Gobbos, but not seen anyone painting them up on here yet. The Mantic stuff is by far the cheapest you can get a whole horde for like 50 quid so I’m very tempted by that too

I really hope Bloodbeard gets Admirals sculpted Hobgob heads cast soon, I am already beginning to look for Skaven bodies ready for when they have done them.

Bloodbeard:

I like the faces and the hats. But the weapons make them savage in a wrong way. I would like to see them with weapons of iron and round shields instead.

Regarding the casting of hobgoblin heads. I should have visited my friend The Caster a long time ago, yet a baby came in the way and for the foreseeable future I can’t visit him. But I spoke to him yesterday asking what gear I should buy. Then I’ll start they process with long range counseling or he’ll come visit me instead.

Abecedar:

They’re ok. If you have a lot of units they’ll be a good change of command and the warriors mixed in with the others I think will work well.