[Archive] 2000 Final List - V99 9th age - Mixed

wallofmeat:

Hi - Thank you for everyones contributions on my list thoughts so far.

After rolling around with a few ideas I’ve decided to go with a reasonably straight forward list with a little bit of everything including some of my favourite models.

Total (1995pts)

+ Lords (410pts) +

Overlord (410pts) [Army General, Great Bull of Shamut (265pts), Infernal Weapon (20pts)]

Rationale: The Overlord on big bull - 4A S5 + 4AS6 + D6 stomps + volcanic embrace base to base hits (and a fun breath weapon). He’s quick. He’s got 6 wounds and a 5+ ward at T6 - for the points - and measuring up against my usual monsters du jour (GuOs and Daemon princes) this seems like a tasty fighty package and better to me than the small bull + tooled up lord equivalent.

+ Heroes (247pts) +

Magus (135pts) [Dispel Scroll (35pts)]

Engineer, Level 1 Wizard Apprentice (40pts) [Path of Fire]

Rationale: sits by mortars and dispells things - auto take fire ball for medium range pot-shot-fun.

Vizier (112pts) [Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Infernal Weapon (15pts), Shield (2pts)]

Rationale: Cheapo BSB that sits in my IG unit.

+ Core (688pts) +

Hobgoblins (231pts) [43x Hobgoblin (215pts), Musician (10pts), Spear (21pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Hobgoblins (226pts) [42x Hobgoblin (210pts), Musician (10pts), Spear (21pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Rationale: Deep hordes with 4 deep attacks (+1 normal +1 spear +1 horde) - their horde ld bonuses and ability to not run off is nice. Orks could be used in their stead and I totally respect that view.

Infernal Warriors (231pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), Shields (27pts), 27x Warrior (189pts)]

Rationale: Tough chewy block - it didnt really feel like a CD army without them.

+ Special (410pts) +

Disciples of Lugar (150pts) [Champion (10pts), 10x Disciple (130pts), Paired Weapons, Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Rationale: go in with one of my cores - they never run so can keep a pursuer in place and also ‘uptick’ the damage output. A steal at 150pts they can also kick the shit out of a wide variety of chaff or sneak in side charges.

Infernal Artillery (130pts) [Titan Mortar (130pts)]

Infernal Artillery (130pts) [Titan Mortar (130pts)]

Rationale: with a long 48 range they are delivering pain from T1. I adore the model and I like catapults in play (long time user of the bretonnian treb - which will happily tear though infantry and chunky hammer units alike - same deal here - taking in pairs i’ve found is helpful).

+ Rare (240pts) +

Infernal Engine (240pts)

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I think your list has good staying power but not a lot of killing power. I’m curios to see how it does on the field!

qwe501:

Hi

i think you list overall need killing power - you have the Lord, engine, a few Lugar and alot of S3 not much who can fight and win. You also have little magic and shooting so i think you will have problems.
I am not sold on the big bull and after i have tyed it some games i go with the small -the lack og armor and 4+ regen does it for me.
Not sure why you have motars and not rockets they do the same for 60p less.

Proposal for a few changes to add power to you list.

+ Lords (410pts) +

Overlord (410pts) [Army General, Great Bull of Shamut (265pts), Infernal Weapon (20pts)]

+ Heroes (295pts) +

Magus (135pts) [Dispel Scroll (35pts)]
Engineer, Level 1 Wizard Apprentice (40pts) [Path of Fire]

Vizier (160pts) [Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Great Weapon (10pts), Dusk stone (30p) Dragon mantle (25pts)]
* much better attack and armor save now

+ Core (530pts) +

Hobgoblins (80pts) [20x Hobgoblin (160pts), Bows (20pts)
*This unit can babysit you wizard and maybe even shoot something while doing so.

Hobgoblins (220pts)40x Hobgoblin (160pts), Musician (10pts), Spear (40pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Infernal Warriors (230pts) 20 x Warrior (135p) Great weapons (60p) Musician (10pts) Standard Bearer (10pts), War banner (15p)]

+ Special (410pts) +

Disciples of Lugar (150pts) [Champion (10pts), 10x Disciple (130pts), Paired Weapons, Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Infernal Artillery (160pts) [Titan Mortar (130pts) Earthquake Shells (30p)]
Rocket Battery �?< (100 pts) 
* now you have Earthquake Shells for the same cost.

+ Rare (240pts) +

Infernal Engine (240pts)

wallofmeat:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

I have slightly given up on a big magic game as 9th age seems to be a lot about stalemates - even when i take reasonably scary magic in my daemons army. So I just take a token wizard/engineer combi for magic defence / shoot straight. Theres no doubt a way to get more involved in this phase but I’ve kind of chosen not to (if I did fo def id go get me a lamasu).

I take your point on big bull - the alternative load-out would roughly be the small bull, sprout of rebirth, sheild and infernal weapon coming in at 348pts which is 62pts under the big bull. I go from T6 to T5 and from W6 to W4 (but gaining 4+ rather than 5+) losing d6 stomps and terror to fear. I guess it depends on whether I cost these things at 62pts… which IDK? Maybe. I’ll experiment with both bulls.

The hobgoblins I think are ok - 40 with spears is 10 pts cheaper than 20 IG with great weapons… they deliver better damage output on T3 blocks naturally but even on T4 blocks the damage output is better or same-ish (granted this assumes good maximisation) (anything touger than this will mess up my hob goblins life plans). I dont dislike your core set-up though - I have a question - how do you model great weapons for forge world dwarfs? (is it too cheeky to say your sword n board dwarfs have g weapons)?

Rockets are similar to Mortars - one of each dosnt sounds bad - but I think im willing to pay 30pts for S4 small blasts rather than S2 large ones - just so I can deal with monstrous infantry n their ilk a bit better (incl ordinance hole). Espc as you pointed out earlier my core may have trouble with em. That panic rule on the rockets though is finger lickin good… Maybe I will put in some rockets… Very tempted to model one (I wasnt thrilled by the FW model - just my taste).

Anyway, Im bulls deep in converting skaven into hobgoblins atm - I will report back later on.