[Archive] 2000pt game tonight - comments needed

Time of Madness:

Hey there,

I have a game tonight using the RH list. I’m playing against a 2000pt bretonnian knight heavy list. I decided to base my list on defense focusing mostly on magic/shooting.

I decided not to include any hobgoblins this game hoping that my T4 and good saves can stop the brets on the charge.

CHARACTERS

Sorcerer Lord (General)

- Level 4

- Black Gem of Gnar

- 2 Power Stones

= 310pts

Hero ( BSB )

- Sword of Might

- Armour of Gazrakh

= 135pts

Bull Centaur Hero

- Great Weapon/shield

- Armour of the Furnace

= 151pts

Sorcerer

- Level 2

- 2 Dispel Scrolls

= 150pts

CORE

23 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

General and bsb here

- Full Command

- Warbanner

= 262pts

20 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

- Full Command

- Great Weapons

= 250pts

15 Blunderbuss

= 180pts

15 Blunderbuss

= 180pts

SPECIAL

2 Death Rockets

= 160pts

RARE

5 Bull Centaurs

Bull Centaur hero here

- Heavy Armour

= 105pts

Earthshaker

= 110pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1993pts

Casting Dice - 8 + 2 stones

Dispel Dice - 5 + 2 scrolls

Models in rmy - 92

Planning on using the centaurs as a flanking support for my 4 main blocks of infantry. The goal will be to neutralize the pegasus knights using magic so my shooting will have an easy time hitting knights.

Time of Madness

Time of Madness:

Well I ended up losing tonight against the brets.

His army looked something like this

- Lord/BSB/2 level 2’s

- 1 large unit knights of the realm

- 1 large unit of errant knights

- 1 large unit of questing knights

- 2 units of 20 men at arms

- 2 units of 10 bowmen

- 2 trebuchets

- 4 peg knights

The 2 trebuchets really put a hurt on my big blocks of troops. In one turn I lost 12 warriors. I lost another 7 and 8 respectively on other turns.

The game came down to the last turn when what was left of my generals unit was charge. I lost the combat by 4 and had the chance to pass my LD test on a 6 twice (using the bsb). Unfortunately I failed both tests and ran away being chopped down by the dirty brets.

I think I would have been a bit more aggressive if playing the same bret army again. I laid back too much and ended up getting crushed because of it.

Time of Madness

Da Crusha:

how did the 2 death rockets perform? personally I prefer 4 bolthrowers for the cost but I know death rockets have their uses. Im surprised the earthshaker didnt shut down their artillery, was it firing at cavalry instead?

Loki:

When you play that army again i would drop the death rockets and go for another earth shaker and really make sure you cut down his movement and weapons fire against your troops, drop the Sorcerer Lord and go with a CD lord on great Taurus, use this guy to get in the flanks of them knights or go hunting for war machines and archers at the rear they wont have any thing can stop him if he gets in to the warmachines at the back. I lobe bull centaurs but i would say drop them in when playing bretonnians they are good but bretonnians are the best calvary in the game try wolf riders to get down the flanks and harass the units of knights and then more in for the kill with some good blocks of CD troops with great weapons, this is how i would play it let us know how it goes when you paly him again

Baggronor:

I decided not to include any hobgoblins this game hoping that my T4 and good saves can stop the brets on the charge.
I think this was unwise, Brets are very dependent on getting the right charges. Expendable redirectors are the bane of their lives.
drop the Sorcerer Lord and go with a CD lord on great Taurus
Yeah, its not like Brets are big on magic but they are pretty resistant due to the armour and wards, so a decisive melee Lord is probably a better choice. Plus its hard to protect a M3 Sorcerer Lord, particularly against cavalry-heavy enemies. You could even have a CD Hero as the general (so the centre benefits from Ld 10) with Armour of Gaz and a great weapon, and then the Taurus Lord is free to go where he is needed. Then the BC Hero can be the BSB, and the final choice could be a scroll caddy (or even no magic defence, its viable against most Bret armies).

And I'd make the Warrior blocks 25 if possible.
The 2 trebuchets really put a hurt on my big blocks of troops. In one turn I lost 12 warriors. I lost another 7 and 8 respectively on other turns.
Ouch. Perhaps some Wolf Riders and/or a Hobgob Hero on a wolf to deal with those. BC Hero can also have a go at that role if necessary.

Time of Madness:

how did the 2 death rockets perform? personally I prefer 4 bolthrowers for the cost but I know death rockets have their uses. Im surprised the earthshaker didnt shut down their artillery, was it firing at cavalry instead?

Da Crusha
The earthshaker and the rockets were aiming at the knights. Not having played Brets for a while I didn't realize how much damage 2 Trebuchets were (S5 is rough).

The death rockets actually performed well. Combined with some Metal magic I really put a hurt on most of the knight units. The earthshaker only got one good shot off before it was eaten by the peg knights.

The magic punch I had (with metal) did really well, however I think a lord on taurus would have been more helpful protecting my warmachines and acting as a flank threat.

By the end of the game he had a single knight left on the table (his bsb), however I only had half a unit of chaos dwarf warriors (bloody).

Thanks for the comments gents.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness:

REMATCH!!! Yes that’s right. Tonight is a rematch vs Bretonnians. I’m facing the exact same list and I’m suppose to be using my same list. My opponent has allowed me to switch my list ever so slightly so I can better use the models I already have assembled (less proxying is always better).

Here’s what I’ve come up with.

CHARACTERS

Sorcerer Lord (General)

- Level 4

- Black Gem of Gnar

- 2 Power Stones

= 310pts

Hero ( BSB )

- Sword of Might

- Armour of Gazrakh

= 135pts

Chaos Dwarf Hero

- Sword of Battle (+1 attack)

- Enchanted Shield

= 99pts

Sorcerer

- Level 2

- 2 Dispel Scrolls

= 150pts

CORE

23 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

General and bsb here

- Full Command

- Warbanner

= 262pts

23 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

Level 2 and other hero here

- Full Command

- Great Weapons

= 283pts

15 Blunderbuss

= 180pts

15 Blunderbuss

= 180pts

SPECIAL

2 Death Rockets

= 160pts

RARE

6 Bull Centaurs

- Heavy Armour

= 126pts

Earthshaker

= 110pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1995pts

Casting Dice - 8 + 2 stones

Dispel Dice - 5 + 2 scrolls

Models in rmy - 96

Very similar list, however I removed the BC hero and added a regular hero. Now both my combat blocks are 25 strong and will anchor my line supported by the blunderbusses. The bull centaurs lost the hero however gained an additional model.

I’ll be taking the lore of metal again tonight (who wouldn’t against bretonnians). Instead of focusing on the knights with my war machines I plan on aiming at the trebuchets to see if I can knock them out early. Hopefully I can erase one with the first turn (he will pray).

I’m not to worried about the knights, they are going to have a tough time up against my 2 large blocks of dwarfs supported by characters.

Should be interesting.

Time of Madness