[Archive] 2250 allcomers tournament list

Spikes:

I have two lists I’m working on.

1st list with Great Taurus (I’m hoping to protect him against my Lizardmen foes with that MR)

CHARACTERS

CD Overlord with Great Taurus 148+230+100 478

Chaos armor, shield 3

Great weapon, always strikes first 65

Stones of uzkul (mr2, 6+ ward) 35

Daemonsmith 162

shield

Helm of Azgorh (+1DD)

Hexacon of Hashut (6d6 dispel dice)

Daemonsmith on Daemoneater 282

shield, scroll x2

CORE dwarfs 690 slaves 100 = 790

Annihilators x15, musician [185]

CDW shields x25, FC [320]

Eruption Gun

War Banner

Hobgoblins x24, musician [100]

SPECIAL

Spear chukkas x4 [140]

RARE

Kollosus 330

Second list with more heroes and Obsidian guard

CHARACTERS = 610

CD Slavemaster General shield [67]

Daemonshrieker (terror) [50]

CD Slavemaster [71] (into obsidian guard)

Chaos Armor, Shield, Great Weapon

BSB [25]

Black Standard 5+ ward [75]

Daemonsmith [110]

stones of uzkul MR 2 ward 6+ [35]

enchanted shield [15]

Daemonsmith, shield [185]

CDW shields x25, FC [320]

Eruption Gun

War Banner

Hobgoblins x24, musician [100]

SPECIAL (520)

Obsidian Guard x25 shields FC [380]

Spear chukkas x4 [140]

RARE = 330

Kollosus

Bassman:

I do not use yet the Indy Gt list to I just tell you how to use a “classic” Taurus lord (hammer of Hashut, armor of furnace and shield with Ravenin’ Hordes list).

1) he is the general (actually I refuse to use an hero with his ld10 as my general for a reason of fluff. It’s a nonsense the big guy on Taurus take orders from a lesser hero :wink: so he is the one giving his ld10 to other troops. This is really important as it’s true dwarfs have ld9, it’s true your Bsb helps to keep your troops on line but general’s ld 10 is pure gold paired with Bsb re rolls. This limits a little bit his range, be sure to move him far away from your lines only if you feel confident.

Sometimes, when I’m confident my dwarfs could stand their own, I like to use him as a ld giver to hobgoblins and faster troops. Him and bull centaurs could be an impressive stricking force. Not to underestimate the value of hobgoblins and wolfriders with ld10. Flying is an advantage as you are sure to give your leadership where and when it is needed the most.

2) Yes, he is a rank breaker, he is a good fighter but he is not the ultimate killing machine. This means you cannot use him to charge ranked troops from the front. Even lightly armored troops could be really nasty to break and even to kill. He is perfect to kill warmachines, archers/thunderers/crossbowmen. He is really good to support another charge. Bull centaurs plus taurus. An unit of dwarfs hold the charge and in new turn you slam into the enemy flank to help your dwarfs, 99% of the times is a sure win.

3) he can die to shooting. He is pretty tought, R5, 4+ armor save is nice but not the ultimate protection. Bolt throwers could have a lot of fun with him. He is a large target, so he is difficult (impossible?) to screen and could only use terrain for protection and enemies benefit the +1 to hit.

Remember he is immune to fire (armor of furnace plus taurus) so he can ignore dwarfs war machines runed with fire (do not remember the name). This the ultimate fun :smiley:

I find shooting really annoying for him. sometimes mine spend the entire battle hidden behind an hill/wood, just giving his ld to my troops and jump out only when enemy fire is weakened.

4) monster tactical advantage. Being a tought and resistant monster enemies should take him into account. They cannot ignore him expecially for his potential matched with our resistant troops. It’s not nice to be stuck in combat with R4, AS 3+ dwarfs and see a big taurus charging your flank (or rear!). So even keeping him next to our lines he provide his tactical influence on the battle field (and continue to give his ld10 too).

5) magic: as shooting magic is a real danger. If you do not have strong magic defenses keep enemy wizards in great consideration. Well if your enemy has only fire magicians… enjoy the fun… lol :smiley:

6) breath fire: just S3 no armor modifiers breath is not great but it is a template weapon and with taurus flying range could be useful at its most against low T, highly priced, difficult to hit troops. Among veteran players who has never enjoyed a waywatchers’s/shades’ BBQ? It’s also a fire attack, something to take into consideration.

Spikes:

I do not use yet the Indy Gt list to I just tell you how to use a "classic" Taurus lord (hammer of Hashut, armor of furnace and shield with Ravenin' Hordes list).

1) he is the general (actually I refuse to use an hero with his ld10 as my general for a reason of fluff. It's a nonsense the big guy on Taurus take orders from a lesser hero ;-) so he is the one giving his ld10 to other troops. This is really important as it's true dwarfs have ld9, it's true your Bsb helps to keep your troops on line but general's ld 10 is pure gold paired with Bsb re rolls. This limits a little bit his range, be sure to move him far away from your lines only if you feel confident.
Sometimes, when I'm confident my dwarfs could stand their own, I like to use him as a ld giver to hobgoblins and faster troops. Him and bull centaurs could be an impressive stricking force. Not to underestimate the value of hobgoblins and wolfriders with ld10. Flying is an advantage as you are sure to give your leadership where and when it is needed the most.

2) Yes, he is a rank breaker, he is a good fighter but he is not the ultimate killing machine. This means you cannot use him to charge ranked troops from the front. Even lightly armored troops could be really nasty to break and even to kill. He is perfect to kill warmachines, archers/thunderers/crossbowmen. He is really good to support another charge. Bull centaurs plus taurus. An unit of dwarfs hold the charge and in new turn you slam into the enemy flank to help your dwarfs, 99% of the times is a sure win.

3) he can die to shooting. He is pretty tought, R5, 4+ armor save is nice but not the ultimate protection. Bolt throwers could have a lot of fun with him. He is a large target, so he is difficult (impossible?) to screen and could only use terrain for protection and enemies benefit the +1 to hit.
Remember he is immune to fire (armor of furnace plus taurus) so he can ignore dwarfs war machines runed with fire (do not remember the name). This the ultimate fun :D
I find shooting really annoying for him. sometimes mine spend the entire battle hidden behind an hill/wood, just giving his ld to my troops and jump out only when enemy fire is weakened.

4) monster tactical advantage. Being a tought and resistant monster enemies should take him into account. They cannot ignore him expecially for his potential matched with our resistant troops. It's not nice to be stuck in combat with R4, AS 3+ dwarfs and see a big taurus charging your flank (or rear!). So even keeping him next to our lines he provide his tactical influence on the battle field (and continue to give his ld10 too).

5) magic: as shooting magic is a real danger. If you do not have strong magic defenses keep enemy wizards in great consideration. Well if your enemy has only fire magicians... enjoy the fun... lol :D

6) breath fire: just S3 no armor modifiers breath is not great but it is a template weapon and with taurus flying range could be useful at its most against low T, highly priced, difficult to hit troops. Among veteran players who has never enjoyed a waywatchers's/shades' BBQ? It's also a fire attack, something to take into consideration.

Bassman
So I'm paying bloodthirster points for something that isn't as great and dangerous. Correct?

I mean, other armies have harpies or terradons to do the same thing for 55-150pts (march block, hunt warmachines, etc.)

If I should use my great taurus general simply for his leadership, I could very well just let him footslug along with the rest of the troopers and NOT be atop a large target individual model.

Would this mean that you recommend list #2?

Bassman:

Actually I tried to point out some strenghts and weakness of the Taurus. I like to play him a lot, fluffwise, model wise and from a tactical point of view.

He can breath. This is a great asset, not to be underestimated.

Do you have an utterly annoying shades unit with assasin equipped manbane and reding stars popping out of a forest right on your flank? BBQ them to reduce their number and charge them next turn (if they do not go back into the forest before, or better if they deploy in another area of the battle field because they fear you big guy).

He charge 20" do we have anything faster? A heavy cavalry approaches ready to smash your lines jut to be charged by your taurus lord. Who cares if he cannot breack the knight unit. Next turn your infantry troops with 5+ combat resolution will breack knights and you’ll catch them with 3d6 pursuit. We have only another fast and hard hittin unit that can do this: bull centaurs but they cannot be everywere… and a smart enemy could have already deleted them with shooting/magic.

Your enemy can avoid your chaos dwarf lord of doom, he moves 6" per turn after all :frowning: he can force your troops out of his ld10 range. This tactic is more difficult with a 20" flying monster that cannot be march blocked.

It’s easy with a decent shooting to reduce effectiveness of a flying pegasus lurking for warmachines or lonely soft targets… but can we say the same for a T5 AS 4+ Taurus?

He is a pretty good fighter. He can kick asses and still be protected… what I want to tell you is to be prudent with him as he can die… ok it could be said of most monsters :wink:

My statement are not laws, just starting points for a nice talk about use of a taurus lord :wink:

Uzkul Werit:

I’d drop the ASF Great Weapon for the Black Hammer on the Lord. Having four more S6 attacks combined with the Taurus is much more deadly than having four S5, striking first ones.

Spikes:

Oh, true! Since he’s riding a Taurus he’d get only +1 STR from a great weapon!

Thanks!

Now for the big question: which list is better for all-comers and tournaments? One is minimal size because of the overlord/great taurus while the other is more “vanilla” with a slavemaster general.

I’ll be facing dark elves, lizardmen, vampire counts, empire, warriors of chaos, skaven…I must be able to manage large targets, terror, magic spam, heavy shooting, skirmishing march blockers…

I intend to keep my kollosus in the center of my lines to provide cheap “everybody’s hit on a 4+!” protection (especially from skink or shade groups).

EDIT: Poll has been added. Please post and state your reasons! Thanks.