[Archive] 2250pts Warriors of Chaos for Tournament

Neil:

I am playing in a local Tournament on Saturday, and as Chaos Dwarfs are banned, I thought I would give my Warriors a run out. I am aiming for a list that will be competative without being over the top.

Sorcerer Lord - Lv4, Mark of Tzeencth, Disc, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Blood of Tzeentch, Rod of Torment.

Sorcerer - Lv2, Mark of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection, Barded Steed (in un-frenzied knights)

Sorcerer - Lv2, Mark of Nurgle, Power Familar, Enchanted Shield (in warriors)

Hero -Shield, Fury of the Blood God (in warriors)

5x Marauder Horsemen, Light armour, Flails, Mark of Khorne, Musician

5x Marauder Horsemen, Light armour, Throwing Spears, Musician

13x Warriors, Musician, Standard, Shields. Mark of Slaanesh, Rapturous Standard

5x Chaos Hounds

5x Chaos Knights, Full Command, War Banner

5x Chaos Knights, Full Command, Banner of Rage

4x Dragon Ogres, Great Weapons.

That comes to 2250 dead on. After writing it, I am considering swapping a Warrior for a Steed for the Hero and putting him in the other Knight Unit. I could also swap the Rapturous Standard and the Power Familiar for the Banner of Wrath.

Things that might be a problem are large monsters, especially with riders, cannons and bolt throwers, Ring of Hotek and possibly the Strom Banner. But then there is always going to be something. Any advice would be appreciated.

Spikes:

Are you charging with those sorcerer-cavalry units, if the opportunity presents itself?

You have to weigh spellcasting ability VS charge/movement phase opportunities. Clumping your sorcerers in knight units enhances one option and devaluates the other (unless you roll specific spells).

Gavan Sing:

WOC list & general usage, courtesy of our local top player

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch @ 171 pts (General; Mark of Tzeentch; Chaos Steed; Dispel Scroll; Collar of Khorne)

Exalted Hero of Tzeentch (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 209 pts (Mark of Tzeentch; Flail; Chaos Disc of Tzeentch; Enchanted Shield; Golden Eye of Tzeentch)

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch @ 141 pts (Mark of Tzeentch; Chaos Steed; Fury of the Blood God)

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch @ 171 pts (Mark of Tzeentch; Chaos Steed; Dispel Scroll; Power Familiar)

5 Chaos Warhounds @ 30 pts

5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh @ 96 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Mus; Flail; Light Armour)

5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh @ 96 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Mus; Flail; Light Armour)

18 Chaos Warriors of Khorne @ 386 pts (Mark of Khorne; Std; Great Weapon; Shield; Rapturous Standard)

18 Chaos Warriors @ 353 pts (Std; Extra Hand Weapon; Shield; Banner of Rage)

5 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 220 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Mus)

5 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh @ 220 pts (Mark of Slaanesh; Mus)

Total Cost: 2249

Magic Offence: throw 3 x Flickering Fire with 6 PD

Magic Defence: 5 DD with 2 Scroll - the 2 Sorcerors with MR2 each joins a Warrior Unit to bestow MR2

Take out war machines and shooters with the BSB who has 1+ AS and 3+WS agst missiles

Game plan: Deliver the 2 blocks of warriors into position to destroy the opposing units that would win the game for you. Everything else is expendable. To achieve this objective, u have 8 cavalry units (3 doggies + 3 fast cav + 2 knight lances) + a flying unit to clear re-directors, blockers, supporting unit, warmachine.

Baggronor:

Hellcannon? They can shoot, but they are also a great blocking unit (they can give VCs real headaches). Plus, it gives those big monsters something to look out for, although your magic should deal with most of those.

I wouldn’t bother with one unit of warriors, they risk being left behind, and frankly in an all melee army being M4 and expensive is a bad combination. 13 guys are unlikely to achieve much. Either go 2 larger units for an infantry list with knights as the support element, or go all mounted.

Maybe also consider the Mark of Tzeentch + Blasted Standard combo for one unit of knights? You don’t have much in the way of numbers, you need your guys to be durable.

Mount up that Exalted too, he won’t be pulling his weight on foot. Consider making him a BSB too? If he rode with the Dragon Ogres, they would benefit greatly (banner, re-roll and Magic Res, plus his attacks).

The default Nurgle spell is nice for sniping the guy with Ring of Hotek, particularly so if its the usual Black Guard champion.

Collar of Khorne on one of the Tzeentch Sorcerers? Its pretty nice, for him and his unit.

Neil:

Ok, I have changed it a bit, although I am quite tempted by something similar to the list Gavan posted - I do quite like the idea of massive warrior units.

Sorcerer Lord - Lv4, Mark of Tzeencth, Disc, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Blood of Tzeentch, Rod of Torment.

Sorcerer - Lv2, Mark of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection, (in warriors)

Sorcerer - Lv2, Dispell Scroll, Enchanted Shield Barded Steed, Biting Blade (in un-frenzied knights)

Hero -Shield, Fury of the Blood God, barded steed (in frenzied knights)

5x Marauder Horsemen, Light armour, Flails, Mark of Khorne, Musician

5x Marauder Horsemen, Light armour, Throwing Spears, Musician

23x Marauders, Full Command, Light Armour, Shields. Mark of Slaanesh

5x Chaos Hounds

5x Chaos Knights, Full Command, War Banner

5x Chaos Knights, Full Command, Banner of Rage

4x Dragon Ogres, Great Weapons.

1x Chaos Spawn

the idea is for Mr Disk to fly around casting stuff, knights and Dragon Ogres to smash through things, marauders and spawn for support. The mage in the knights has the same stats as a Knight and 2+ save, so I would just need to watch out for tough opposing characters who I might have to challenge.

Loki:

Great looking army list, the only thing i would be tempted to do is get a mark of nurgle on one of the knights units makes them even harder and will give you a better chance of getting them in to combat with out losing to many to shooting, best of luck in the tournament, make sure to let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

Baggronor:

Classic all mounted Warriors :slight_smile: I played a similar list for many years back in 6th. Double Exalted Champions on Steeds of Slaanesh and a Beastlord general for the Ambush rule was a lot of fun.

The Slaanesh Marauders are probably a better choice than Warriors, as they bring some much-needed numbers and static combat res. The ability to mark Marauders is really nice in the new book, makes them much better than they were in 6th.

As an aside, I’d quite like to experiment with an unmarked Sorcerer Lord at some point, Heavens looks nice (only just noticed they can take it).

Some more Hounds to grab table quarters might be handy too, but its a decent list, good luck :slight_smile:

Neil:

Well, its all over now, and if anyone is interested I finished up 8th out of 30, which I was very pleased with (results - You will have to scroll downa bit, sorry I don’t know how to link to specific posts)

First game was a solid win against Skaven. He had a warp lightning Cannon, Doomwheel and a big unit of Plague Monks with a furnace. I managed to distract his Monks with may fast stuff while using my knights to power through his clanrats and rat swarms. Magic missiles got the Censor Bearers eventually, and I was also fortunate enough to zap the Plague Priest off his furnace. My opponent forget Dragon Ogres are immune to Lightning and spent ages chasing them around with his Doomwheel, suffering two misfires, before finally getting a shot off, just in time to make them frenzied before they charged his jezzails. I got a win, but avoiding the Monks and their furnace, meant I didn’t get enough points for a really big win.

Second game was aginst Wood Elves. I was a bit hesitant in my movement here which I think cost me a bit. I got lucky when His treeman failed his break test, and the BSB re-roll allowing my Marauder infantry to run him down, and similarly when his Dryads and Branchwraiths fluffed their attacks, failed their break test and were run down by my hounds and Marauder cavalry. At the end of the game it was fairly close in what we had killed, probably slightly in my opponents favour, but I had nothing left that could take table quarters, and had lost two banners, so the extra 500 vp he picked up from this gave him a clear win.

The last game was against another warriors army. This guy had gone for a more infantry based approach. He came on fairly recklessly, allowing me to charge and take out a unit of hounds and marauder cavalry with a wizard in my first turn. In the second turn, my frenzied knights went straight through a unit of Marauders with the BSB then some hounds too, and I was able to set up his frenzied chosen for a flank charge from my dragon ogres using my marauders horsemen. Much to my amazement, later on I was able to do the same thing to a non-frenzied warrior unit using knights and warhounds. Goodness knows why he fell for this again. My only real loss was my knight unit with wizard to the Gateway, and at the end of the game all he had left was a knight and a wounded daemon Prince, giving me my biggest win of the day.

All in all it was quite a nice day. The best moment had to be when a very competitive player fielding a Grave guard deathstar containing Vlad, Manfred a vampire and a BSB miscast, allowing his opponent to cast Gateway. He rolled a double one on his dispel, and the chaos player got eleven on his strength.

Thanks for your help with the list. :cheers

Baggronor:

The best moment had to be when a very competitive player fielding a Grave guard deathstar containing Vlad, Manfred a vampire and a BSB miscast, allowing his opponent to cast Gateway. He rolled a double one on his dispel, and the chaos player got eleven on his strength.
Lol maybe he'll learn how to play properly next time instead of relying on the toys.

Good to see you had decent games :cheers