[Archive] 2400 list for Winter Incursion

Steve D:

Am trying to put together a list for te winter incursion on 11th Dec - it’s 2400pts and here are the figures I have painted so far:

18 IG, FC

40 hob gobs with bows

Iron Demon

Magma Cannon

Destroyer

So am thinking I could put this list together in time for the event in terms of painting:

Lvl4, Death, Ench Sh, Dawnstone, scroll, blood of hashut, healing potion

BSB, Dragon Helm, Talisman of Preservation, iron curse icon, shield

30 Infernal guard, FC, Razor standard

20 Hobgobs, SB, Mu, bows

20 Hobgobs, SB, Mu, bows

Iron Deamon, hellbound

Magma Cannon

Magma Cannon

Kdaii Destroyer

Hellcannon

I am toying with the idea that I could swap the healing potion for the crown of command and use the lvl4 or the BSB as a lone roadblock as I am aware that blocking off chaff/warmachine hunters and the like will be tough. The Hellcannon can deal with it’s own threats and the rest of the army can protect the 2 magma cannons.

I would like to put some Bull Centaurs in there but would have to convert and paint them up and just dont have the time…

Thoughts on the list?

Baggronor:

Zomg, is LoA legal at the Winter Incursion?? :o I may be joining you in testing it!

The list looks reasonably solid to me, why Death on the lv4 though? Surely 6 dice Flames of Azgorh is the new terror spell! :slight_smile: 2 lvl1s both on Spirit Leech would snipe better than a single lvl 4, and would give you another re-roll for the Magma Cannons.

If youre worried about chaff and suchlike, a lv1 or 2 on Fire should be able to help the archers deal with them. Im actually tempted by 2 lvl2s instead of the Prophet at 2400pts, one on Metal and one on Fire - the buffs really help�??the infantry. Or a Khan on wolf should be able to handle furies/harpies etc, and can also hunt enemy machines and redirect. I dont think lone roadblocking is a great idea safety-wise for the 2 important CD characters; Im thinking more of what happens after they kill the chaff - they could end up exposed and vulnerable.

Steve D:

I have two magma cannons so dont really need the flames spell…plus might not roll it!

Death because doom and darkness and soul blight are also really good spells and it is a lot easier to get off with a lvl4 than a lvl2 or lvl1. Plus purple sun could be golden against Ogres, Empire, Dwarfs, undead etc…

A mounted Khan could be a good call - will see what I can do about getting one painted up and finding the points for one.

Baggronor:

Plus purple sun could be golden
Whatever you do, don`t misfire ;) Its not pretty on I2 12pt troops...
I have two magma cannons so dont really need the flames spell...plus might not roll it!
Yeah, true. Not rolling Flames is a big problem with him I guess, he`s so expensive you need him to get it if you take Lore of Hashut.
A mounted Khan could be a good call - will see what I can do about getting one painted up and finding the points for one.
I have a feeling these guys will crop up quite a lot, considering the unreliability of their fellows.

Steve D:

In fact, I could swap out a magma cannon for two Khan’s…

I might try that! is a Hellcannon and a Magma cannon enough shooting though…so might have to re-think the lore in that case.

If I was to dump a 6 dice purple sun, the lvl4 might be going solo for a turn!

Baggronor:

If I was to dump a 6 dice purple sun, the lvl4 might be going solo for a turn!
May as well go for the pieplate then :) A Lammasu would be nice, to move to get that flank shot and to Miasma the target`s Initiative down first, but you can`t have everything.
I might try that! is a Hellcannon and a Magma cannon enough shooting though...so might have to re-think the lore in that case.
Well, you have 2 good templates. Perhaps Purple Sun is still the best choice, as it means you have all bases covered - one flaming teardrop, one max strength brute force shot and one initiative tester. Its a nasty mix and could be good in an all-comers list.

Steve D:

Good point Baggronor - I’ll keep it with death for the time being.

So, the new list would look like this:

Lvl4, Death, Ench Sh, Dawnstone, scroll, blood of hashut, healing potion

BSB, Dragon Helm, Talisman of Preservation, iron curse icon, shield

Khan, Wolf, La, Spear, Charmed Shield

Khan, Wolf, La, Spear, Sh, Pigeon Plucker pendant (5+ ward against flyers)

30 Infernal guard, FC, Razor standard

20 Hobgobs, SB, Mu, bows

20 Hobgobs, SB, Mu, bows

Iron Deamon, hellbound

Magma Cannon

Kdaii Destroyer

Hellcannon

A better list? Not got the book with me so might have a few points to play with.

Time of Madness:

Looks good!

I’d drop the dawnstone and blood of hashut and take the talisman of preservation for the prophet. Then for the bsb drop the dragon helm and pick up the mask of furnace. Gives you two characters with a 2+ followed by a 4+.

If you need a couple of extra points you can always drop the guard down to 28 (30 with the 2 characters).

I like the champs in the hobgoblins, but that is personal taste. It is nice having the ability to challange in some situations.

Time of Madness

Steve D:

I would rather keep the blood of Hashut for a cheeky character killer. Does the healing potion help on the Lvl4 and negate the need for the 4+ ward?

I might make the Gobs FC, especially if each unit has a Khan just in case.

Any advice on the khan set up? Anyone have some good options? I was thinking the terryfying mask of Eee might be cheeky (I believe that is 25pts)? Escpecially if going for chaff etc which often is out of range of the general and low ld.

Baggronor:

Any advice on the khan set up? Anyone have some good options? I was thinking the terryfying mask of Eee might be cheeky (I believe that is 25pts)? Escpecially if going for chaff etc which often is out of range of the general and low ld.
Sounds good. Maybe consider Shield of Ptolos to stop him being shot by crappy skinks etc, and a Potion of Recklessness to give him an extra attack and keep him immune to fear for one round for when he charges Furies and stuff. Perhaps Dragonbane Gem too, for other people`s Destroyers ;) Damn, I should keep my mouth shut...

Steve D:

Potion of Recklessness could be a good option. Along with the gem. Just dont want to get them too expensive…

zhatan87:

As said by Baggronor, and as you already use ensorceled shield and charmed shield, dragon gem and the potion.
Dragon gem seems to be one of the best choice for them, as it can make them able to deal with tzeentch flammers (very often seen in hard lists). I always play the dragon gem on my old hobgoblin hero on wolf with RH list.
Better than your pendant I believe (except if you use them to deal with furies or so (and even if these cases, 5+ ward save isn’t a life insurance…))

Just dont want to get them too expensive…
I’m wandering if we should keep this way of thinking for the new khans : in RH list, it was very easy to have a lot of heroes (and play cheap hobgoblins on wolf with 2+ AS) but with the FW list, each heroes are more expensive, and you must make choices (very often between daemonsmiths, taruk and khans). If we do so, maybe we should make each hero as tough as we can… As its presence prevents from taking other choices…
At the present time, I play with cheap khan on wolf (as you can’t have 2+ AS anymore). Your thoughts?

Steve D:

I am leaning towards cheap khans. With the basic kit coming to 60pts, they are only slightly more expensive than a great eagle and can be used in much the same way. M9 really helps and makes them a throw away unit. They are also slightly better off in that you can give them equipment (charmed shield is useful for an extra 3pts) and hide them from normal shooting in archer blocks.

Cheaper is better if you are going to be using them in this role. I didn’t consider the flamers so I think I will be swapping the flying ward for the flaming ward at a minimum.

Time of Madness:

I would rather keep the blood of Hashut for a cheeky character killer. Does the healing potion help on the Lvl4 and negate the need for the 4+ ward?

Steve D
You should be using death magic to kill characters not the blood of hashut.

The problem with the blood is you still only have I2. If you run into a character with S6 for example he is going to waste your prophet before you get to use your blood or the potion. A character with S6 is going to reduce your re-rollable save to 5+ and you still don't have the ward save. Blood is also pretty random and most characters will have a ward save for it anyways.

Drop blood and the dawnstone in favour of the 4+ ward save. You need to keep the Prophet alive!
Time of Madness

Steve D:

It can also do a number on steam tanks and the like too…

But I see what you mean on the blood issue and Ward save. Will have a look and re-jig to get the ward save in.

Neil:

It can also do a number on steam tanks and the like too...

Steve D
This might be stupid question, but I'm assuming in this case, the Steam Tanks auto-hit rule takes precedence over the Blood's hit on a 2+, meaning the Blood of Hashut will just allow you to do D6 wounds on the tank?

Skink:

Maybe consider Shield of Ptolos to stop him being shot by crappy skinks etc

Baggronor
Grumble, grumble...:mad:hashut:mad

Steve D:

This is my current list although I have about 10pts spare…

Lvl4, Fire, Ench Sh, Talisman of P, scroll,

BSB, Mask of hashut, shield -

Khan, Wolf, Spear, La,sh, Dragon Bane gem

Khan, Wolf, La, Spear, sh, Dragon Helm

Khan, Wolf, La, Spear, sh,

28 Infernal guard, FC, Razor standard

20 Hobgobs, SB, Mu, bows

20 Hobgobs, SB, Mu, bows

Iron Deamon, hellbound

Magma Cannon

Kdaii Destroyer

Hellcannon

Thoughts?

Time of Madness:

Very similar to my 2400pt list. I take the same core, however I have the champs on the hobgoblins and the lichebone pennant instead of razor.

Instead of the iron daemon I take 2 shriekers and a level 1 smith.

How has the iron daemon been working out for you? In my opinion there are just too many things that will stop it in its tracks (eagles/cav/flyers etc etc).

The 3 khan might be a bit overkill, however they are useful for hitting war machines etc. How have they been working out for you? I can help but think a unit of 3 or 4 centaurs might be a better use of the points instead of the khan.

Time of Madness

Steve D:

Iron deamon has been ok, it is useful for lone monsters and just holding up units. It’s a little hit and miss to be honest as if I am facing a lot of artillery it is one of the 1st things to go but then that helps the destroyer…with this list you should be able to protect it from fast cav and fliers etc with the bomwen/Khan’s.

Khan’s are good. I use them either a chaff hunters, war machine hunters or diverters (think slightly worse eagles). With three you can do all three almost. Just keep them more then 6 inches apart…they start off in the bowmen units though for missile protection until needed.

How have the shriekers been working out for you?