[Archive] 2400 pts First List Advice (Tamurkhan/LoA)

AkabaneK:

Hi guys, I have recently been induced into Warhammer Fantasy after many many months of harassment from friends (I refused to play anything other than 40k) and ended up settling on Chaos Dwarfs as my chosen army so would very much like your guys help with the list I’ve come up with :slight_smile:

I’ve purposely excluded anything other than Dwarfs/War machines for aesthetic reasons, I just don’t want any non-Dwarf stuff in and as I only play with a group of local friends just want to ensure I have fun with it without getting destroyed. Anyway, here goes:

Lords

Sorcerer Prophet

Dragonhelm

Talisman of Preservation

Black hammer of Hashut

Lore of Hashut

Bale Taurus

Heroes

Daemonsmith Sorcerer

Lore of Fire

Dark Castellan

BSB

Core

Infernal Guard x30

Musician

w/ Dark Castellan

Infernal Guard x30

Musician

Banner

Special

Deathshrieker

Deathshrieker

Iron Daemon War Engine

Rare

K’daai Destroyer

Total Points: 2365 (35)

I don’t know the policy on what we can/can’t show for points so I’ve just thrown the total value in at the end.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Baggronor:

The list looks fine, bit of everything.

I’m not sure I’d recommend the Legion of Azgorh if you’re new to Fantasy though, it is a badly written list with some odd kinks in it. It may be better to start off with an army with more up-to-date rules and options while you learn the ropes.

Da Crusha:

it looks good. reminds me of my last tournament list. which did ok, not that Im great or anything. my list used a great Taurus instead of the bale taurus, hellcannon instead of Deathshrikers and khan and wolf raiders. also a few less IG.

nilbog:

Looks fine. With the spare points I’d put full command on your IG unit with the castellan in, and give him an enchanted shield for more protection.

If you’re new, I’d reconsider the iron daemon though (not because it’s rubbish, necessarily), unless you enjoy complicated rules. It’s ridiculous. Maybe go with some fireborn or bull centaurs instead?

AkabaneK:

Thank you for the advice so far.

@Baggronor: Odd kinks? I am new to fantasy but I was swayed by the simplicity of the LoA list and the FW models :slight_smile:

@Da Crusha: After looking around on the forums I can certainly see the merit of using Hobgoblins, was purely an aesthetic decision there. As for the decision on the Taurus, that was certainly a tough one but I decided the extra points were worth it for the extra Strength & Toughness, I could be wrong…we’ll see when I finally buy everything and get it on the table :slight_smile:

@nilbog: Thanks! Was wondering what I should do with those extra points, I was rather indecisive at how best to use them. I did notice the Iron Daemon was rather…tedious, in its wording and was considering an alternative. I decided on it in the end due to the model looking amazing, and another large high toughness target to try and distract any cannon fire from my Lord and the Destroyer. I was certainly considering the fireborn though so I may just do that. Thank you :slight_smile:

rpitts2004:

I’d drop the bale taurus, it’s a 600 points, that will lose you the game and not win it.

all it takes it a cannon to wipe out both the rider and the taurus

Baggronor:

@Baggronor: Odd kinks? I am new to fantasy but I was swayed by the simplicity of the LoA list and the FW models
It's deceptive :) It's not as user-friendly as most lists - things like extra penalties when you miscast, steam engines that can only charge in straight lines, CD characters not being able to join Hobgoblins, etc. No other army has quite so many unnecessary restrictions.
I'd drop the bale taurus, it's a 600 points, that will lose you the game and not win it.
It's a risky choice in an tournament environment, but he says he only plays his local group so I doubt it'll be facing too many cannons? Even then, if they don't kill it in the first turn, it's charging turn 2. When you team it with the Destroyer, they'll eat pretty much anything.

CopperPot:

You could always use Tommy’s rules for the Iron Daemon if your just playing with mates.

nilbog:

You could always use the iron daemon model as a hellcannon. Thommy H has clarified the rules for the iron daemon a bit on this thread.

I’d go with the bale taurus. The FW model is superb; if you’re not using that, it is an excellent opportunity for some conversion work. I compared it to a high elf sun/moon dragon (a bit of maths hammer perhaps) and it is just as good, probably better, for its points.

Discoking:

I think I’d like some Khans though.

But here’s my take on your list.

+ Lords + (595pts)

* Sorcerer-Prophet (595pts)

Bale Taurus,Black Hammer of Hashut, Blood of Hashut, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Wizard Level 3

+ Heroes + (290pts)

* Daemonsmith Sorcerer (120pts)

Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire, Wizard Level 1

* Dark Castellan (170pts)

Battle Standard Bearer, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Talisman of Endurance

+ Core + (652pts)

* 25 x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (320pts)

Musician, Standard Bearer

* 25 x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (332pts)

Musician, Overseer, Standard Bearer

+ Special + (535pts)

* Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (125pts)

Hellbound

* Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (125pts)

Hellbound

* Iron Daemon War Engine (285pts)

+ Rare + (325pts)

* K’daai Destroyer (325pts)

AkabaneK:

@Baggronor: Odd kinks? I am new to fantasy but I was swayed by the simplicity of the LoA list and the FW models
It's deceptive :) It's not as user-friendly as most lists - things like extra penalties when you miscast, steam engines that can only charge in straight lines, CD characters not being able to join Hobgoblins, etc. No other army has quite so many unnecessary restrictions.
I'd drop the bale taurus, it's a 600 points, that will lose you the game and not win it.
It's a risky choice in an tournament environment, but he says he only plays his local group so I doubt it'll be facing too many cannons? Even then, if they don't kill it in the first turn, it's charging turn 2. When you team it with the Destroyer, they'll eat pretty much anything.

Baggronor
I have one friend who uses Empire, he normally takes a Steam Tank, a couple of cannons and a Hellblaster(?). Other than that all I know is my small gaming group also roll Dark Elves, Ogres and Tomb Kings :)

@nilbog I will definitely be buying the FW mini for the Bale Taurus :) and thanks for pointing me to that thread!

Didn't think about using the ID as a Hellcannon I could certainly give it a try.

@Discoking Thanks! I was thinking about dropping the number of Dwarfs for some more gear on the other stuff but didn't know if less than 30 in each unit would be viable.

The Besieger:

Like in Discoking his list :slight_smile:

When your General use a Bale Taurus as mount he need charmed shield.And you beter bring him fast in CC. :slight_smile:

Also a the Dispel Scroll is a need. :slight_smile:

Iron Daemons are hard to play but once you get used to play them , the Rock-'n-roll on the battlefield.

3 weeks past i used this list on a Tournament.

Belgian Grand Open Fantasy

Chaos Dwarfs

2400 PTS

LORDS 420 pts

-----------------------------------------

Sorcerer-Prophet

Upgrade :

Level 4

Blood of Hashut

The Lore of Hashut

Magic Items :

Black Hammer of Hashut

Enchanted Shield

Talisman of Preservation

The Other Trickster’s Shard

HEROES 327 pts

Infernal Castellan

Upgrade :

Battle Standard Bearer

Shield

Magic Items :

The Mask of the Furnace

Warrior Bane

Daemonsmith Sorcerer

Upgrade :

The Lore of Fire

Magic Items

Charmed Shield

Dispel Scroll

CORE 628 pts

18 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard

Upgrade :

Full Command

Hailshot Blunderbuss

20 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard

Upgrade :

Full Command

SPECIAL 820 pts

Chaos Dwarf Magma Cannon

Upgrade :

Hellbound

Iron Daemon

Upgrade :

Hellbound

Iron Daemon

Upgrade :

Hellbound

Skullcracker

RARE 205 pts

Hellcannon

Da Crusha:

@horlely: 2 iron deamons and blunderbuss! and no destroyer. well Im very curious, how did you do? did the Iron deamons ever get stuck fighting goblins on wolfs or something annoying?

The Besieger:

@ Da Crusha : http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11664 :slight_smile: