[Archive] 2500 CD Army (RH, 8th ed)

Minos:

Here is my first 2500 RH list, intended to be playable as well at my club as in local tourneys. I�?Tm not a competitor and I prefer playing a wide variety of troops than an over-optimized force.

This list is also a guideline to plan my CD army, as I will play almost everything I have yet (and I have to paint�?�).

So�?�

Lords

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord

Lore of Shadow

Level 4

Chalice of Darkness, Black Gem of Gnar

Heroes

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Lore of Metal

Level 1

Dispell Scroll

Chaos Dwarf Hero

BSB

Armour of Gazrakh, Ironcurse Icon, Luckstone, Heavy Weapon

Hobgoblin Hero

Wolf, Heavy Armour, Sword of Might, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Charmed Shield

Core

29 Chaos Dwarfs

Full command, Heavy Weapon, Banner of Eternal Flame

20 Blunderbusses

Full command

10 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders

Light Armours, Musician, Standard Bearer

13 Hobgoblin Archers

Special

1 Death Rocket

1 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

15 Sneaky Gits

20 Black Orcs

Full Command

Rare

8 Bull Centaurs

Full command, Gleaming Pennant

1 Earthshaker

1 Hellcannon

The Sorcerer Lord and the BSB are in the Warrior unit. The L1 Sorcerer is with the Blunderbusses. Thanks to the Shadow signature, they can switch if necessary.

The Warriors are a little bit protected from warmachines with the Ironcurse Icon. I �?~illegally�?T put a heavy weapon on the BSB, but otherwise I can put him a Biting Blade and throw away an archer.

The Warriors hold the line along with the Black Orcs. Here is a tough center. Blunderbusses can protect a flank, the Bull Centaurs the other. I intend to use them to counter-attack more than attacking.

Archers and Sneaky Gits can protect the Earthshaker and the Hellcannon, but Sneaky Gits may also be useful against monsters or tough guys as a suicidal team. And the Hellcannon can protect itself…

Death Rocket and Bolt Thrower can take place between main units.

The Wolf Riders will hunt down warmachines, little units, or will be used as flankers. The fireball may be very interesting as a surprise, as may be the Lord�?Ts Black Gem.

Do you think it�?Ts a balanced and playable list ? I�?Tm also thinking of playing a L4 Metal Sorcerer and a L1 Death or Fire instead.

In a few games, I�?Tll update it to Tommy H. army book.

dromar:

Well, i think your list can be improved:

-The Chalice of darkness isn’t interesting anymore IMHO, you better take a ward save to protect your lord.

-I would take a level2 rather than a level 1 as apprentice: 2spells and +2 to cast and dispell.

-Sneaky gitz aren’t numerous enough, you should take more hobgoblins archers or basics hobgo.

-Bull centaurs are fragiles, it’s not interesting to give them a full command squad and a magic banner so expensive!

Just take the eternal flame banner, it will be good. Then, reinforce your troops.

Bassman:

It’s always nice to see people playing units they like adding variety to their rooster.

I’m not an expert player but I’d like to tell you one single bolt thrower is completely useless.

Dunno if you have the miniatures but due to the poor hobgbolin balistic skills you need at least 4 to make them effective.

two is the minimum.

With new 8th edition stone throwers’ rules the death rocket is waste of points in my opinion. Get rid of it and you have points for more bolt throwers.

Minos:

Yes, I’m not that convinced about Chalice Of Darkness interest in 8th edition…

Maybe you’re right with Level 1, but I thought he was here only to keep some magic ability if the Lord was to die, and to throw the basic Metal spell with a lots of dice against heavy cavalry units.

I haven’t (yet) enough basics hobgoblins. I know that Sneaky Gits aren’t enough, but as I mentioned, I imagine them better as kamikaze unit than a real hard unit. If they are not in the General area, their low Ld is not securing, even with more ranks than enemy.

I do agree Bull Centaurs are fragile, but they’re kinda emblematic of a CD army so, as a counter-attack or a flanking unit, they could be interesting. The Gleaming Pennant is just 5 pts : they can fail a Ld test far from the BSB (and sadly, it usually happens…).

Da Crusha:

no no no, chalice of darkness is still amazing! especially if you roll a double. sometimes you can completely wipe out your opponents dispel dice. if your opponent rolls poorly you can even use it to wipe out their power dice! I swear by the chalice and it is always in my list.

edit* just out of curiosity what is it that puts you guys off about the chalice in 8th?

KramDratta:

Just wanted to point out that the Hellcannon is not part of the Ravening Hordes list (even though we build those things ourselves !!)

Minos:

Of course it is not, but some RH updates allow it (0-1) if opponent agrees, as it is clear we should have access to it !

About the Chalice in 8th : we might consider that lowering cast/dispell polls isn’t so interesting when the winds of magic are strong, but you’re right to point out the fact that when they’re not or when doubles occure (often), the Chalice can be very funny. Anyway, I’ll test it fore sure.

zhatan87:

Lords
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord
Lore of Shadow
Level 4
Chalice of Darkness, Black Gem of Gnar
Good to me. The chalice is very nice when playing it like Da Crusha said.

Heroes
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
Lore of Metal
Level 1
Dispell Scroll
Again, good choice! The signature spell is awesome, and you can afford to throw 6 dices.

Chaos Dwarf Hero
BSB
Armour of Gazrakh, Ironcurse Icon, Luckstone, Heavy Weapon
You can't have heavy weapon, sorry. It's my build for my BSB with an enchanted blade (but haven't found which one is good for 5 to 10 points... Play the fear causer one but I'm not convinced.)

Hobgoblin Hero
Wolf, Heavy Armour, Sword of Might, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Charmed Shield
I love these guys personnaly! I play two of them, but unequiped or poor equiped : the first one with only wolf, heavy armour and enchanted shield, and the second one with wolf, heavy armour, dragon helm.

Core
29 Chaos Dwarfs
Full command, Heavy Weapon, Banner of Eternal Flame
Good. i play them by 25, and it's ok. So 29 should be nice.

20 Blunderbusses
Full command
Not convinced at all by blunderbusses in V8...

10 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders
Light Armours, Musician, Standard Bearer
Idem. Too expensive for what they do.

13 Hobgoblin Archers
Ok but try orcs arrer boys : for one pt more, really better on every thing : better toughness, better LD, etc...

You're lacking naked hobgoblins, many hobgoblins Two units by 35-40, two units by 10...

Special
1 Death Rocket
OK
1 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower
Ok
15 Sneaky Gits
Not enough guys. Too expensive too.
20 Black Orcs
Full Command
Too expensive but funny if you want to play in friendly game.

Rare
8 Bull Centaurs
Full command, Gleaming Pennant
OK
1 Earthshaker
Good
1 Hellcannon
Good

List pretty nice to play with and against
but some RH updates allow it (0-1) if opponent agrees, as it is clear we should have access to it !
To be completeness, I made with the french community the errata for CD, in two sections : the first one official with GW reference, and the second section, if the opponent is ok, introduces  some fluffy components such as 0-1 Hellcannon. That's why French players very often play one hellcannon in their lists, even in local tournaments...