[Archive] 2500 List - first run

Groznit Goregut:

I think I have the points right as I don’t have the book yet. I l ow its hobgoblin heavy for a lot of people’s taste, but the ability to give them Hatred, LD 10, BSB, and ItP is just awesome. I am used to playing with goblins and these guys are even better…

Lvl 4 Hashut

Enchanted shield

4+ ward

Earthing rod

BSB

Mask of furnace

Great weapon

Demonsmith lvl 2 fire

Dispel scroll

Charmed shield

2 x 50 hobgoblins with 2 weapons, banner, and musician

2 x 20 hobgoblins with bows, banner, and musician

29 Ironsworn w/ enscorcled hand weapons, full command

Banner of slavery

2 x death shrieker rocket

Hellcannon

Oh, I think I have about 15 more points to put into the archer units

The dwarfs go in the middle and are a bit of eggs all in one basket. I believe I will be happy with the hobgoblins. The archers will shoot, but then jump in the flank of whoever hits the big units. I have been surprisingly happy with units of 20 goblins in the flank to wear down and force an unlucky break roll before (even with BSB). Enemy most likely not Steadfast and with a unit of 20 in the flank, it adds a lot of CR in my favor. Minus their rank bonus too.

War machines are not too heavy. Caster buffs or hexes, but has blasting spells, too. Fire mage can through fireballs at units turned flammable.

It’s not the best, but I think its balanced. Not used to elite army! Love the idea

Of the Ironsworn with 3+ AS and S5 hits. :smiley:

Samanos:

where is the destroyer??

klemanius:

Ironsworn should be 553pts

Groznit Goregut:

@Samanos: Is a Destroyer better than a Hellcannon? If so, then I need to find a few more points to get it. With the extra 100 I got from Klemanius, cashing in the Hellcannon, and those extra 17 pts I threw into HobGobs…I still need just a few more. Maybe scrap one archer unit and give another Hobgob unit shields, as well, to just cash in on minimum points for Core. Or maybe make the one unit 30 strong?

with a Destroyer, I would definitely have an aggressive army. Fewer war machines and more combat units. It’s not bad, but I have to recognize the focus shift. I wonder how comp would rate it?

@klemanius: Thanks so much! I’m not sure where I went wrong with points, but I hope to get the book soon. The deal I got on my Mantic stuff ended up not including Shipping, so it pretty much ate all the savings I was going to use for the new book. I hope before Xmas. If not, I should get some Santa cash for it.

I was reading the other thread about Great Taurus makes it seem a lot of fun to run around with a GT and Lvl 4. The Lore of Hashut is really short range spells, but you have some high S ones. You could really put the hurt on some units that need it. It is true that cannons will be the bane, but otherwise the armor and T is pretty high on them. I had a lot of fun with my Warlord on Wyvern for OnG back in 7th and I think there is a place for a GT list in 8th. That’s another thread, though. I want to focus on going with a big list of Ironsworn and Hobgobs. I do wish I had points for a bigger unit. Maybe scrap one big unit of Hobgobs for a mid sized unit of Core Chaos Dwarf? Put that’s not going to save me too many points, to be honest. I’m about the minimum pts for Core as it is.

I have to say that I can really see a good use for big blocks of Hobgoblins. I already stated I use Goblins and big blocks can be rather resilient. Hobgoblins are significantly better than Goblins on a few fronts. They don’t check for Animosity when near CD, which is crazy good. Also, their WS 3 really does help. The ItP banner makes them not run from shooting, magic, or Terror. The 2 hand weapons really is great on a horde unit. Sure, they won’t smash elite unites, but they will surely be causing wounds every round. Even if you don’t smash them in the flank with something, you wear down things like Swordmasters. Against other Core units (Skaven Slave) you can really chew through them. Throw on Hatred or any Fire spell buff and they become even better. I could almost see going with Metal just to help them out more. The lvl 2 will be near war machines, though.

Samanos:

look ur forcus right now is more combat units than shooting.

if you want shooting i would recommend trying out blunderbusses. sure they are 12’’ but last night they literary wiped out a unit of 30 plague monks as a stand and shoot reaction(magma cannon had helped a lot as well before that). they re expensive though.

the destroyer if awesome as u can use it for those problematic units and for warmachne hunting since its practically unstoppable.

i would suggest that even if you go with shooting you should include him since your opponent will have to deal with him to get to you.

shriekers didnt perform for me well enough i’ll try a list without them. hellcannon is good but magma cannon simply rocks! u should include at least one!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

look ur forcus right now is more combat units than shooting.
if you want shooting i would recommend trying out blunderbusses. sure they are 12'' but last night they literary wiped out a unit of 30 plague monks as a stand and shoot reaction(magma cannon had helped a lot as well before that). they re expensive though.
the destroyer if awesome as u can use it for those problematic units and for warmachne hunting since its practically unstoppable.
i would suggest that even if you go with shooting you should include him since your opponent will have to deal with him to get to you.
shriekers didnt perform for me well enough i'll try a list without them. hellcannon is good but magma cannon simply rocks! u should include at least one!

Samanos
Not to be a grammer or punctuation nazi but...

Time of Madness:

The problem with the list in my opinion is the lack of support/flanking type units. The new book offers tons of good options (centaurs/destroyer/fireborn). I think you need to add at least one of these units to help out your infantry.

I don’t think the hobgoblins with bows add much to the list other then getting you to the minimum core.

You may want to drop the ironsworn for an infernal guard unit and ditch the hobgoblins with bows. This would open up some points for more support units.

Time of Madness

klemanius:

In such a list the ironsworn are the rock hard centre that holds it together and will help push the combat in the CDs favor, swapping them for infernals would weaken the main line to much.  You could swap out the hobgobs for infernals, but certainly not the ironsworn.

I agree on the flanking unit ToM.

There is 112pts free in the list as written. If you drop the 50 man hobgobs down to 45 each your still over the 625pts min core requirement.  If the Prophet is going in the ironsworn too, drop them down to 28(thus having 30 with the 2 characters) this will give you 174pts total to spend, enough for a unit of 3 bull centaurs with FC and either spears & shields or great weapons depending on your preference.(170pts) for 2496pts total.

Will your loosing a little bit of numbers in your main line, which might tell in the 3rd or 4th round of combat, the bullcentaurs offer a lot of versatility, able to hold up units you would rather not fight and can hunt monsters and things that would get behind your combat line like flyers or cavalry.

Groznit Goregut:

I have points left over? Ugh…I can’t wait to get the book.

I do agree about flankers. I was thinking the 20 unit of hobgobs could help in anything stuck in with the main hobs. Surely not the best, but to have something with two ranks and enough to last a few wounds can really turn the tide. The enemy loses all rank bonus for CR and don’t get many attacks to the side. I’ve broken Chaos Warriors this way by throwing in a unit of 20 Goblins in their flank in a big fight. A lot of people don’t think it’s worth much, but that’s also some of the surprise. I’m not saying it is the BEST thing to flank with, but it does more damage than expected.

I do like the Bull Centaurs. I might try to fit them in. I’m thinking about adding in the Destroyer. Would I even need the Death Rockets? I could drop them for more points for Bull Centaurs.

Thanks for the help.

klemanius:

That 112pts is the savings on the ironsworn I pointed out earlier (553 not 665)

Groznit Goregut:

I have to admit that after my post on the Great Taurus or Lammasu, I’m wanting to run one! I’m not sure which list I’d rather go with, a big combat one, or one with a flying monster.