[Archive] 2500 LoA all-comers. Please critique!

Spikes:

I’d like some comments and criticism for this list from an all-comers perspective. I will soon start to play with the LoA list because I just got the book this month.

CORE	Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, fireglaives, musician x10 (protects warmachines)
Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, FC, std of discipline x25 (BSB goes here)
Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, FC, std of flaming x25
Hobgoblins with shields x30,
Hobgoblins with bows x29,

SPECIAL
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher x3
Bull Centaur Renders, shields, musician x4 (attacks enemy war machines and shooty units)

RARE
Hellcannon x1

LORDS
Sorcerer-Prophet, Lore of Hashut lvl 4, 4+ ward, channelling staff
Darkforged Weapon, Blackshard Armour

HEROES
Infernal Castellan, Stubborn, BSB, dawnstone, ironcurse icon, enchanted shield, Blackshard Armour

Daemonsmith, lvl 1 metal, scroll (sits by the three death shriekers)
Ensorcelled Weapon, Blackshard Armour

I also have a variant where I remove the 10 fireglaive unit, bump the std of discipline unit to 30 and give 'em great weapons, boost the flaming banner unit to 27, and add a 30th hobgoblin archer.

Comments and criticism as well as suggestions are welcome!

richard barby:

looks to my like a good castle up and blow things up army

i have ideas of doing about the same with my army but the question i have is how do you keep your mage alive thats with the deathrockets can it join one of them or sit on the archers/ fireglaves so it can get a look out sir, because i think if its alone its going to be picked off to easily and you lose a heap of points on the mage

Wifstrand:

I just had my first Legion of Azgorh game today and I found that Bull Centaurs are good, but if they have to take a Panic Test for some reason, they’re off really badly. I mean, LD8 and not ItP or Stubborn?? Oh well… I will suggest getting yourself a Taur’uk. He’ll be a stable in my lists from now on. If you get a Taur’uk and give him Blackshard Armour, Shield, Sword of Strife (+2A) and a Luckstone (re-roll one failed armour save). That nets you quite a capable fighter, and lets you save some points on your Bull Centaurs by getting shields and spears, which in my opinion looks to be a good deal. Now, I have the old classics with great weapon, so how to explain that one away… :slight_smile:

Anyway, a Taur’uk kept cheap by giving him the Blackshard Armour and a shield is a perfectly viable option too! That way he’s only 175 pts.

ChungEssence:

I think the list is pretty good. Obviously infantry heavy.

Please say how the 3 Death Rockets go for you.

You will have problems with manouverability but that’s part of your infantry/gunline build i guess. Centaurs are your only fast unit.

You will stuggle a bit with high toughness stuff as your artillery is the only think that can really hurt them (shields/not 2 handed weapons on the centuars).

For example, what would your approach be to dealing with a Hell Pit Abomination out of curiousity?

That said… your army will be hard to shift.

Good luck with it

Time of Madness:

Well here it comes, brace yourself :slight_smile:

I think you have invested way too much points in core (over 1000pts). If you want the list to be more competitive you should look at dropping some core in favour of a destroyer.

The 2 units of 25 guard are a bit redundant. I’ve had better mileage out of a single unit of 30 with both my bsb and prophet. I then support that with a smallish unit of shooting hobgoblins (or alternatively you could still take the unit of 10 fireglaives).

3 death shriekers is a bit much, a much more well rounded approach is 2 shriekers and 1 magma cannon.

I like the renders with great weapons, but that comes down to personal choice. I also like adding a standard for them and putting the banner of swiftness on the unit. The great weapons are good vs high T monsters/war machines.

You should be able to re-work your prophet/bsb with better options. It is rather easy to give them both a 2+ save followed by the 4+ward save.

If you have the points the charmed shield/opal amulet work well on the smith.

Hope this helps.

Time of Madness

Spikes:

Well here it comes, brace yourself :)

I think you have invested way too much points in core (over 1000pts). If you want the list to be more competitive you should look at dropping some core in favour of a destroyer.

The 2 units of 25 guard are a bit redundant. I've had better mileage out of a single unit of 30 with both my bsb and prophet. I then support that with a smallish unit of shooting hobgoblins (or alternatively you could still take the unit of 10 fireglaives).

3 death shriekers is a bit much, a much more well rounded approach is 2 shriekers and 1 magma cannon.

I like the renders with great weapons, but that comes down to personal choice. I also like adding a standard for them and putting the banner of swiftness on the unit. The great weapons are good vs high T monsters/war machines.

You should be able to re-work your prophet/bsb with better options. It is rather easy to give them both a 2+ save followed by the 4+ward save.

If you have the points the charmed shield/opal amulet work well on the smith.

Hope this helps.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
Hmm, interesting points.

Taking out a hellcannon and making a single unit of infernal guard with great weapons (at 30-strong) gives me enough points to field a kdaai destroyer.

I've just found an ebay buy-it-now for a magma cannon (which is infinitely faster than buying through UK forge world at an even lesser price) so I'll replace two of my str 3 templates with a str 5 multi wound cannon...Should be good, especially against ogres and trolls and T4 multiwound stuff!

Would you recommend using the 65pt mask and a shield on my BSB? It seems like a good deal, it's a 4+ ward (usually clocks in at 45pts, the talisman of preservation), +1 to armor and a 2+ vs fire (usually clocks in at 10pts, the dragon helm), and you cause fear (not very useful since the majority of my unit will NOT cause fear) in a single item slot. Considering that our infernal castellans can take 75pts of items, I think it's correctly priced (as opposed to our infernal guard weapon options...)

Then on my general I'd take the talisman of preservation and enchanted shield. Is the 25pt reroll failed armor saves a talisman or an enchanted item? I don't remember...In either case, I wanna put the ironcurse icon on my general or bsb, because saving a single 12pt infernal means that the item was worth the points...Considering the cannon- and template-heavyness of my dwarf and empire opponents, this is totally worth it!

What do you guys think of my hobgoblin units? When playing ogres, I field gnoblars, and when playing Thommy H's list and the Ravening Hordes list, I also field slaves. I like a horde of about 30 guys shooting at 24 inches, it's useful against all the T3 armies or great eagles and such. The other unit is just to speed bump an adversary, hopefully holding a whole turn to let me react to a threat (two rounds of CC). Their M4 allows me to have a bit of input in the movement phase.

ChungEssence, to deal with a HPA I'd use the str8 single model d6 wounds ability of the death shrieker. Like an empire cannon, you wound on 2+ if your cannonball hits, and you pray that he doesnt pass the regen. It's more accurate than a regular catapult if I'm not mistaken (if by "accurate" we mean that it homes in on the closest unit after deviation).

Obviously a magma cannon would help me deal a couple of flaming wounds. The infernal guard with flaming banner can roll 5s to wound with a regular hand weapon or a 3+ to wound if armed with GWs, not so bad. A kdaai destroyer would also rock against a HPA. That seems like an epic fight!

ChungEssence:

Kdaai Destroyer will eat a HPA due to the flaming.

Serves the mutated rat beast right for messing with the Tools of Hashut!

Destroyer is very powerful and makes any list a lot stronger really.

Magma Cannon is just broken for the price.

Let us know how your list goes

klemanius:

Another way to deal with pesky monsters is Flames of Azgorgh, its a tough one to cast, I’ve yet to cast the boosted version. S6, flaming multi-wound(d6), for everyone, as well a toughness test at -2 for the model under the hole or removed without any saves? Tell me that’s not good!

You drop it on a monster its probably going to fail one of the two.

Also, yeah the Destroyer will eat just about anything that moves, mine’s wiped out a Terrorgeist in a single round of combat without even trying.

KramDratta:

I’m toying at the idea of using the new Power Scroll to cast the Flames of Azgorgh. With a Lvl 4, casting it on a 9+ should be doable.

If the Destroyer has Hatred yes, then there is no way the Abomination can survive (7/9 attacks on 3s with re-rolls, wounding on 2s with no saves). But without hatred & the Abomnation being upgraded with warpstone spikes, I think that the abomination can give it a run for its money (at a cheaper price)