[Archive] 2500 LoA, First Attempt

Stormcrow:

Hello:

It has been a while, but I have decided to bring back out my curly beards. After finally getting the forgeworld book, I started to put together a 2500 point list so I could prep what I had and plan out any further purchases/conversions. 8th ed is still a bit new to me, as well as the LoA list, so criticism is more than welcomed.

Sorcerer-Prophet: Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of Hashut

Infernal Castellan: BSB, Mask of the Furnace

Demonsmith: Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire

Demonsmith: Lore of Metal

Hobgoblin Khan: Wolf, Light Armor, Spear, Shield

28 Infernal Guard: Full Command, Lichbone Pennant

20 Hobgoblins: Full Command, Bows, Shields

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker

Deathshrieker

3 Bull Centaurs: Great Weapons

Hellcannon

K’Daai Destroyer

This leaves about 25 points for upgrades. After looking around, this doesnt seem to be a very original list. The plan is to Stick the S-P and the BSB with the IG, going horde or not depending on who I face. Have a group of Hobs on each flank of the IG. Clumping the warmachines with the Demonsmiths behind the IG, letting the Hellcannon babysit. The Destroyer seems to be able to handle itself on one side of the board. The Khan is for mischief, and the BC can either attempt to cross the board to force the issue or corral the enemy, or hand back and flank charge anyone hitting the troops. Going forward into bigger games Id switch in some Blunderbussers for some Hobs and put in the Dreadquake. Id also like my Taurus and/or Lammasu to see action eventually.

The biggest problems I see are:

1) No static res. Maybe one big unit of Hobs and let the HC or Destroyer watch a flank.

2) Two Demonsmiths, probably a bit much

3) No second hitty unit to reach across the board. Maybe a bigger BC unit or something else to have the option to run across the board and either support the Destroyer, or look for squishy bits on the opposite flank.

Thanks everyone

Stormcrow:

Hello:

It has been a while, but I have decided to bring back out my curly beards. After finally getting the forgeworld book, I started to put together a 2500 point list so I could prep what I had and plan out any further purchases/conversions. 8th ed is still a bit new to me, as well as the LoA list, so criticism is more than welcomed.

Sorcerer-Prophet: Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of Hashut

Infernal Castellan: BSB, Mask of the Furnace

Demonsmith: Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire

Demonsmith: Lore of Metal

Hobgoblin Khan: Wolf, Light Armor, Spear, Shield

28 Infernal Guard: Full Command, Lichbone Pennant

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker

Deathshrieker

3 Bull Centaurs: Great Weapons

Hellcannon

K’Daai Destroyer

This leaves about 25 points for upgrades. After looking around, this doesnt seem to be a very original list. The plan is to Stick the S-P and the BSB with the IG, going horde or not depending on who I face. Have a group of Hobs on each flank of the IG. Clumping the warmachines with the Demonsmiths behind the IG, letting the Hellcannon babysit. The Destroyer seems to be able to handle itself on one side of the board. The Khan is for mischief, and the BC can either attempt to cross the board to force the issue or corral the enemy, or hand back and flank charge anyone hitting the troops. Going forward into bigger games Id switch in some Blunderbussers for some Hobs and put in the Dreadquake. Id also like my Taurus and/or Lammasu to see action eventually.

The biggest problems I see are:

1) No static res. Maybe one big unit of Hobs and let the HC or Destroyer watch a flank.

2) Two Demonsmiths, probably a bit much

3) No second hitty unit to reach across the board. Maybe a bigger BC unit or something else to have the option to run across the board and either support the Destroyer, or look for squishy bits on the opposite flank.

Thanks everyone

MLP:

To respond to your problems first:

1: In my experience the Chaos Dwarfs don’t win with static res. You have enough units that are either unbreakable, stubborn or high enough leadership not to worry.The hellcannon, destroyer and Infernals will all hold and so will the goblins if they’re close to the Infernals.

2: You have four warmachines so two daemonsmith will be useful. They really earn their points with the rerolls and are also helpful protecting your warmachines from sneaky units. Ask yourself what the extra points would be used for instead of that and see if it’s worth losing the benifits I mentioned.

3: Three Bulls can be enough if used against the right opponent, maybe a tag team with the Khan. In a pinch, a cheap unit of Wolf Raiders can do the same job that you wanted for your Bulls like war machine hunting and flanking(great for this with a banner +3 combat res).

Not a bad looking list to be honest, like you said it’s not particularly original but what works works. I’d go horde with the Infernals as you’re Stubborn so may as well if they fit.

Stormcrow:

Thanks for the reply.

The thing I like about this list is that it has a bit of everything I like (except the monstrous mounts who I cant see except in bigger games and wolfriders and as a O&G player I know not to put my faith in a single animosity unit). So the only thing I think I’d replace the second Demonsmith with is another warmachine, thus taxing the remaining rerolls more. I am still open to suggestions about the list, including the remaining points. I feel like I have left out something obvious and important. I think I can now lay out all my stuff and see what will need to be bought/built/converted, so now is a great time to get feedback.

nilbog:

Not much I’d change about this list, especially if you’re not familiar with the rules yet. Here are some ideas though:

Drop one daemonsmith; upgrade the other to level 2 and give him the charmed shield.

Give your bsb a shield for survivability or a great weapon for killing things.

Add another khan.

Set up your units as a refused flank and place one deathshrieker on the refused flank - it won’t benefit from re-rolls but firing out a large template every turn will mean it’s a nuisance that can’t be ignored and so your opponent will have to expend some units (even if it is only fast cav) to deal with it.