[Archive] 2500 pts competitive list (v12.0 9th Age)

TheHoodedMan:

Hi there,
made my second list with T9A.

Overlord, General, great bull, divine Icon, bronze breastplate, fleshtearer
Magus lvl 1, shadow, ring of fire, lucky shield, Temple lammasu, lvl 1 fire, breath weapon, mace tail
BSB, Dragon mantle, shield, lucky charm, infernal weapon, banner of brazen bull.
Magus lvl 1 shadow, dispel scroll

28 Citadel guard, fcm, banner of nezibkesh
22 Hobgoblins, bows, fcm
18 disciples of Lugar, great weapons, fcm
1 volcano cannon, bound demon
1 infernal engine, shrapnel
5 wolf riders, Standard (how can I make these from fast to “normal cavalry”, I Need them as scoring Units)

What do you think of it? Will the Flyers survive or should I swap the mounts in favor of more units? Is there enough pressure with the 2 strong id Units?

TheHoodedMan:

Ok, game was played and lost ;).

Played too passively and was shot by Empire cannon and Steamtank. 6 shots, 6 hits, some heaven missile spells and a few shots from rider pistols and the infernal engine and my general on great bull were history. Made not one save:mad.

Changed the list before the game and took two hobgoblin spearthrowers instead of the wolfriders.

That was ok, but both had a misfire with breakdown on shot 1 (no more shots).

Citadel guard and disciples of lugar performed very well as did the infernal engine before it was destroyed. Banner of Nezibkesh is great as well and helps units to survive against various monsters and large models (i.e. the steamtank, strength of grinding attacks halved).

Lammasu was ok, too.

It was risky to take the flying lord and it would have been fun to see him in combat, but that shouldn`t be. Have to think about the list in general.

wallofmeat:

Would you strongly recommend the engine? Whats the tactic - just like roll forward shooting?

Also are hobs with bows any good - i mean do you think they will ever kill anything or are they just a distraction?

What spells are you aiming for with double shadow? One for the speed and one for fun?

Fuggit Khan:

What spells are you aiming for?

wallofmeat
I was wondering about this too? I always pick the wrong stuff for the wrong opponents :(

TheHoodedMan:

I was aiming for weakening enemy rank and file with the volcano and then combo charge it with one of my blocks and the general.

The hobgobs can shoot at redirectors and delay strong enemy units. And they have a standard and are therefore an additional scoring unit. The secondary objectives are VERY important.

Magic:

In fact it is double signature shadow and double signature fire (one with ring of fire). The signature shadow weakens Ballistic skill to lower impact of enemy shooting. I.e. cannons work with BS now, too. The path attribute gives a 10" extra move for one of the flying chars which can be very helpful.

The fireball makes the usual damage + path attribute d3 S4 hits. So 4 cheap spells to cast every turn. usually at least one will get through.

But I`ve to deploy more confident otherwise this will not work ;-).

qwe501:

Hi a late reply

A few Things about the list

No Ward on the Overlord is that not a bit to brave ?

The chance to get killed in one shoot by a cannon is something like 4/6 to hit x 5/6 to wound x 3/6 to roll 4+wounds = 0,2

if you have a 4+ Ward it is only half of that.

The best combo seems to be Sprout of Rebirth + Dragonscale Helm and you have still have 65p items left for weapon / enchanted item.

Magic

You Invest around 420p in magic - that could also be a lv 3/4 + lv1 with scroll - i meen you don’t realy want to fight with the lama guy anyway and it is risky to have him there - for the same points in my list i have

Prophet lv4 Death @ 288

Grounding Rod, Dragon Mantle, Flintlock axe.

Magus lv1 Fire @ 135

Level 1 and Engineer, Dispel magic scroll.

i think that is a better deal

Firepower

The volcano cannon with bound demon - do you need it ? you have big units WHO can take on the same targets the flame canon are for- would it not be better to go with 2 x rockets to shoot “big opponents” e.g steam tank

Just my view hf :slight_smile:

TheHoodedMan:

Thanks for the Feedback;
The overlord cant get an additional ward save because of "ridden Monster" (possible is only lucky shield or gemstone amulet for a one time ward save).<br>My thought was the bull has a 5++ and it cant die from first shot. But on the other side a bull with 1 - 3 wounds is not very useful, too.

Dont forget the lammasu is a wizard as well. So I have an additional signature spell and an additional +1 to channeling. With the breath weapon and 3+/5++ it is not the best fighter, but it can attack war machines and at least one time a small carrier unit or small fast cavalry. The deal with the lammasu is that I have everything in range.<br>But youre right it is very vulnerable.

Changed already the volcano cannon to 2 rockets and the two bolt throwers to one Engineer upgrade and a wolf rider chief.

My next thought is that I go away from the strong chars altogether and invest in more of the strong ground troops. Without Flyers there would be need of some fast ground troops (Anointed?).

Lvl 4 death is very strong, but the first turn Magic is probably lost because of the short ranges and the path Attribute is one of the weakest. Will have to think about that.
Forge and fire have both good signature spells which Combine very good with the path attributes. Will rather take more small wizards with engineer.

qwe501:

Ahh you are on the big bull - i tryed it too and it just don’t work - you take to many wounds from all kind of normal troops who roll 6 to wound and with only a 5++ you slowly die and up against something that can fight - bad idere.

If you want a flying lord go with the small bull -

note that the rule say
"Use the best Armour Save, Ward Save and Regeneration available among all parts.
Combined model�?Ts Armour Save can be increased by the Mount�?Ts Protection"
and the bull is fireborn so you don’t need the dragonscale helm and can go with hardend shield for a 2+

Overlord on small bull
Sprout of Rebirth, Hardend shield, Ogre sword, Divine icon - or giant blade

I am still not sold on the lama is is nice with an extra wizard but i think it is a lot of points for a few fireballs
you need to give you opponent harder choices - small spells where i want them or i nuke you with big spell

How about this

Level 2 @ 160
Ring of Fire and Tome of Arcane Lore.

Level 1 @ 135
Engineer, Scroll

295p

You could go with

Overlord on small bull @393
Sprout of Rebirth, Dragonscale helm, shield, Ogre sword, Divine icon.

Taurukh BSB @ 260
Sword of strength, Dusk stone, Hardend shield, infernal armor.

Level 2 @ 160
Ring of Fire and Tome of Arcane Lore.

Level 1 @ 135
Engineer, Scroll

948p - about 100 less than now

Now the Taurukh BSB need some friends and there are only 2 units the points can come from - disciples of Lugar or the infernal engine
there job is more like the engine so it will have to go.

28 Citadel guard, fcm, banner of nezibkesh

22 Hobgoblins, bows, fcm

18 disciples of Lugar, great weapons, fcm

Rocket @ 100
Rocket @ 100

5 x Taurukh Anointed @ 380
Additional Hand Weapon, Musician, Standard with Razer banner

5 wolf riders, Standard (how can I make these from fast to “normal cavalry”, I Need them as scoring Units)

TheHoodedMan:

I`ll try a different build:

25 warriors, blunderbuss, shield, banner of Speed, M, S
24 citadel, flintlock, M, S
14 Lugar, M, S.
24 ziggurat, GW, FCM, flame banner
1 inf. engine, shrapnell
1 volcano, bound demon
1 overlord, Dragon mantle, protection, ring of dessication, GW
1 bsb, ench. shield, duskstone, banner of nezibkesh or brazen bull
1 lvl 1 forge, dispel scroll
1 lvl 1 forge, ring of fire
2 Hobgoblin Chiefs on Wolf

idea is to put pressure on the Opponent. 4 decent scoring Units can fight for secondary objectives. Shooting is solid, enemy war machines have to think about the two biggies which draw fire from the Units. Ziggurat with the Lord and the sorcerers is a very hard block.

But maybe it would be better to put all chars in the citadel guards and leave the Ziggurat at home, pushing the Lugar and Magic? The Lugar are not dependent from a char.

qwe501:

Well that is complietly different from agressive flying monsters - i am not sure why you want to go with such a slow and static list ?

and i don’t think it will Work very well.

Some opponents will have more shooting and out shoot you - some will have better magic and some some a bigger deathstar i think it is a bit to weak in all departments.

and without any movemnt to react you opponent will likely pick the fights

TheHoodedMan:

My hope is that the big blocks are difficult to shoot down. I saw some ETC players games and there were no deathstars. The biggest fighting units were 27 chaos warriors and dryad blocks (and my own pendulum block of vermin swarm).

The goal of the list is to win the secondary objectives which make a lot in the score. In fact without at least drawing the objectives it is nearly impossible to win a game.

Ive a few adjustments in mind but triple march move is not so bad and people will try to avoid blunderbusses and hard charges, so there will be some pressure. <br>There will be not much units which can compete against the ziggurat guard with reroll hits, reroll wounds, S6, stubborn. <br>The forge signature spell gives defensive power, flaming hits and the path attribute makes opponent flammable. Often will one of them get through.<br><br>When I played my next game Ill let you know what I played and how it performed :slight_smile:

TheHoodedMan:

I`ll try something new today.

Probably

Overlord, fleshrender, Dragon mantle, protection, ring of dessication

Prophet, lvl 3 forge, Dragon helm, rebirth, scroll

Tauruhk subjugator, BSB, hardened shield, duskstone, infernal armor, sword of strength

29 citadel, flintlock, fcm, Standard of flame

21 hobgoblins, m,s, bows

5 Anointed, shields, m, s

23 disciples, m, s

1 Kadim Titan

Low Shooting, all chars in Units and pressure from turn 1 through the fast moving Monster and Anointed. I hope to build up some Magic pressure as well with the lvl 3. The signature spell and the path Attribute are great, regardless of what spells are rolled.