[Archive] 2500 RH list against Bretonians

macbeth:

I’m going to fight some bretonians next friday, so I’d like to have your opinion on my list… (Sorry for the poor translation of the magic item names)

LORDS

Chaos Dwarf Lord:(armour of destiny (4+ ward save), Hammer of might (+1S), ring of ruin (ring with Fireball as bound spell)): 215 points

Chaos dwarf sorcere lord: (level 4, lore of Metal, talisman of preservation (4+ward save), healing potion): 305 points

HEROES

Chaos dwarf hero: (armour of silver iron (2+save), heavy weapon): 109

Bull Centaure hero: (heavy weapon, shiny armour (-1to hit): 129

CORE

40 chaos dwarf warriors, full command, heavy weapons: 470

26 blunderbusses, full command, heavy weapons: 394

10 Hobgoblin wolfriders: bows, shields: 130

SPECIAL

Hobgoblin bolt thrower: 30

Hobgoblin bolt throwe:r 30

40 goblins, full command, spears: 180

RARE

9 bull centaurs, full command, heavy armours and weapons, banner of war: 254

Earthshaker: 110

TOTAL: 2466

Basically, the lord goes with the warriors, the hero with the goblins and the sorcerer lord with the blunderbusses. The hobgoblins go and pick his trebuchets (he always brings two of them), and the Earthshakers slows his knights down.

Two questions though

How to deal with Pegasus knights? First I wanted to use a Great Taurus, but it would make too much LORD points. Shall I dedicate the bull centaurs to that task? Shall I ignore them?

What to do with the 34 points I still have? A third bolt thrower would be perfect, but I don’t have it. I could try and fit a rocket launcher, but I would have to spare points elsewhere. Shall I reduce my Blunderbusses unit?

ross_lionheart:

Hi,

I’d personally considering investing in a lord on Taurus or a BC lord kitted out with the Bloodbath Sword and the potion of strength. This combo will give him eight strength eight attacks, alongside the attacks provided by his unit. Unlike your lord on foot he will be more mobile and can really bring the fight to anyone, anywhere at any time.

I’d consider dropping your blunderbusses, I’ve used them against Brets before and most of the time your shots will bounce off their armour, instead invest in another unit of CD warriors with great weapons and reduce your other unit from 40 to 30. I’d also suggest brining along a couple of magical standards on your main blocks in order to surprise him, such as the banner of bloodlust that allows you to re-roll your attacks. Since you will be striking on a 4+ against his knights and other elites in his army this will help you significantly.

If possible use another death rocket by simply using your goblins as hobgoblin slaves, as 2 points per model they will help to re-direct him and expose a flank…

Also if your concerned about Pegasus Knights place your BC Hero into the hobgoblin wolf rider unit, I bet he will think twice about charging in!

I’m going to fight some bretonians next friday, so I’d like to have your opinion on my list… (Sorry for the poor translation of the magic item names)

LORDS

Chaos Dwarf Lord:(armour of destiny (4+ ward save), Hammer of might (+1S), ring of ruin (ring with Fireball as bound spell)): 215 points

Chaos dwarf sorcere lord: (level 4, lore of Metal, talisman of preservation (4+ward save), healing potion): 305 points

HEROES

Chaos dwarf hero: (armour of silver iron (2+save), heavy weapon): 109

Bull Centaure hero: (heavy weapon, shiny armour (-1to hit): 129

CORE

40 chaos dwarf warriors, full command, heavy weapons: 470

26 blunderbusses, full command, heavy weapons: 394

10 Hobgoblin wolfriders: bows, shields: 130

SPECIAL

Hobgoblin bolt thrower: 30

Hobgoblin bolt throwe:r 30

40 goblins, full command, spears: 180

RARE

9 bull centaurs, full command, heavy armours and weapons, banner of war: 254

TOTAL: 2466

Basically, the lord goes with the warriors, the hero with the goblins and the sorcerer lord with the blunderbusses. The hobgoblins go and pick his trebuchets (he always brings two of them), and the Earthshakers slow his knights down.

Two questions though

How to deal with Pegasus knights? First I wanted to use a Great Taurus, but it would make too much LORD points. Shall I dedicate the bull centaurs to that task? Shall I ignore them?

What to do with the 34 points I still have? A third bolt thrower would be perfect, but I don’t have it. I could try and fit a rocket launcher, but I would have to spare points elsewhere. Shall I reduce my Blunderbusses unit?

macbeth

Micge:

I too suggest the taurus lord but with armour of furnace and hammer of hashut. 4+ ward and immune to fire, and lots of str 6 attacks is nothing to be sniffed at. Also you might consider dropping the blunderbussers and get more wolfriders or 10-man hobgoblin units to redirect the knights.

Da Crusha:

I'd also suggest brining along a couple of magical standards on your main blocks in order to surprise him, such as the banner of bloodlust that allows you to re-roll your attacks.  

ross_lionheart
Which list are you using? I have never heard of the banner of bloodlust.

ross_lionheart:

I'd also suggest brining along a couple of magical standards on your main blocks in order to surprise him, such as the banner of bloodlust that allows you to re-roll your attacks.  

ross_lionheart
Which list are you using? I have never heard of the banner of bloodlust.

Da Crusha
Hi,

I was searching the net one day looking for the new magical items in 8th edition and came across a list on Bugmansbrewery. The Banner of Bloodlust is the first items listed under magical standards..

http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/29056-8th-edition-common-magic-items/

macbeth:

The battle took place yesterday… I had managed to reduce the number of warriors and blunderbusses to fit 2 rocket launchers and some stuff…

I was beaten…

2800-0

I think I have never had such a concentration of bad luck in a game. At turn three, the Bretonnians had already won, and he had not charged me yet!

It began with my bull centaures who charged his pegasus knights. As I charged through a wood, I had to pass a difficult terrain test, and my hero failed it. Then, in the consequent fight, the hero was killed by the only knight he was facing. The knights fled, but I couldn’t catch them…

Bretonnian magic phase 1: dwellers from bellow on the goblin unit with my sorcerr lord : 2/3 of the unit and the sorcerer disappear.

Bretonnian shooting phase 1: direct trebuchet hit on my warriors: 13 dead.

Bretonnian shooting phase 2: direct trebuchet hit on my blunderbusses: 12 dead

All in all, with two Earthshakers and two rocket launchers, I killed a grand total of… 4 knights!

Yesterday was definitively not the day!

Da Crusha:

@ross lionheart: sorry to burst your bubble man but the banner of bloodlust doesn’t exist in the rulebook. actually a lot of those items are not named correctly. but the banner of blood lust’s description doesn’t match with any magical banners.

@macbeth: ouch that was a tough loss. earhtshaker and deathrockets are not as good as they used to be in 7th because they no longer ignore armour save. I think maybe you should have had more combat units to take them on since they are such a fast army.

sparrow:

Hi,

Quick question, can you take a blunderbuss unit with great weapons in RH?

cheers, Jon

furrie:

They can’t have both. Its a great weapon or replace your shield with a blunderbuss

Giftzwerg:

Get 2 more boltthrowers. I did well against Brets recently with 4 boltthrowers and an earthshaker. Use the earthshaker to slow down one wing of his army, preferably his best combat units, and the boltthrowers to skewer the others. The idea is to stop him getting all his army in at once and to reduce the hitting power of those that you can’t slow down so they cant break your units. don’t let him get 2 of his units charging one of yours, it’s usually fatal for you. I had 2 units of 30 with great weapons.also blunderbussers because it was a general list for a tourney, but i would agree with Ross-Lionheart that they aren’t much good against Brets. . I don’t bother too much with greenskins these days, they are too unreliable. You have to have a good sense of humour to tolerate animosity. Black orcs are good (no animosity) and 20 point units of naked slaves are great value for redirecting. i use the Bull Centaurs in a unit of 6 with no command as a counterattack unit when I use them. A small unit with no command is more expendable, and their performance is often dissapointing.

richard barby:

sounds like a hard game to be on the wrong end of even though brets are pants in general now they still have a few options to make life hard for choas dwarfs ravenging hordes/indy or any other list

i may be wrong but i belive you can take 5 strong wolf rider units now going by the errata i read a few weeks after 8th came out. taking a few units of these guys would be great for you to buy your self time to shoot the crap out of him with your shooting war machines push them up in front of knight units letting them get charged and leaving the knights a small over run afterwards . well used you can charge with your own units or spend another turn bolt throwering and earthshakeing the knights

its a bit of an eggs in one basket thing to do but put your mage with your warrior lord and the block of warriors + bsb for protcetion he can cast from the 2nd rank

you could always go for 2 3 or 4 level one mages with lore of metal they can all take the deafault spell and you have better odds of getting more dice from the channeling if you get it off more than once in a turn your on to a winner

death on the lord is a good plan if you take the metal level 1 mages you get extra dice from some of the spell in the lore