[Archive] 2500 Tourney/Fun List

ZigZags:

Edited 6/1/15 Please critique my list. I am trying to commission a 2500 Point Chaos Dwarf Forgeworld army and in an attempt to keep model # down and effectiveness up, here is what I have come up with:

Daemonsmith Sorcerer (1#, 180 pts)

1 Daemonsmith Sorcerer, 130 pts = (base cost 95 + Level 2 Wizard 35)

1 Chalice of Blood and Darkness, 50 pts

Daemonsmith Sorcerer (1#, 155 pts)

1 Daemonsmith Sorcerer, 130 pts = (base cost 95 + Level 2 Wizard 35)

1 Dispel Scroll, 25 pts

Dark Castellean (1#, 160 pts)

1 Dark Castellean, 135 pts = (base cost 105 + Battle Standard Bearer 25 + Pistol 5)

1 Dawnstone, 25 pts

K’daai Destroyer (1#, 325 pts)

1 K’daai Destroyer, 325 pts

K’daai Fireborn (6#, 340 pts)

5 K’daai Fireborn, 275 pts = 5 * 55

1 K’daai Manburner, 65 pts

Iron Daemon War Engine (4#, 285 pts)

1 Iron Daemon War Engine, 285 pts

Dreadquake Mortar (5#, 215 pts)

1 Dreadquake Mortar, 215 pts = (base cost 195 + Slave Ogre Crewman 20)

Chaos Dwarf Magma Cannon (4#, 145 pts)

1 Chaos Dwarf Magma Cannon, 145 pts

Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (24#, 355 pts)

23 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, 296 pts = 23 * 12 (base cost 12) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10

1 Deathmask, 24 pts

1 War Banner, 35 pts

Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (10#, 170 pts)

10 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, 170 pts = 10 * 17 (base cost 12 + Fireglaive 5)

Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (10#, 170 pts)

10 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, 170 pts = 10 * 17 (base cost 12 + Fireglaive 5)

Composition Report:

Points of Lords: 0 (0 - 1250)

Points of Heroes: 495 (0 - 1250)

Points of Core: 695 (625 - Unlimited)

Points of Special: 770 (0 - 1250)

Points of Rare: 540 (0 - 625)

FLUFF ALERT!

These are the last remaining Chaos Dwarfs in the old world. They escaped in their Iron Daemon train as the last tower hold fell during the Green Skin Rebellion. Led by two Daemon Smiths the Chaos Dwarfs steamed West summoning K’Daai fire daemons to scorch all those who neglected, forgotten, and disrespected them in the past. No longer will Chaos Dwarf history be relegated to a few sentences in the history books, they will be known as the “Immolators of the Old World”.

TheLazySamurai:

Hi there,

I have a few quick thoughts for your list. I like that you have a lot of different unit types. The unique options and units are a big part of the fun of playing a chaos dwarf list for me. You have three lvl 2 wizards which is usually seen in a war machine heavy list so they can be engineers for multiple war machines. You have 2 war machines, so this does not seem necessary. You would be much better off taking the points from 2 of the sorcerers and combining them for a lvl 4 wizard.

A unit of 3 K’Daai sounds fun, but such a small unit is bound to burn itself out before having a significant effect on the battle. Also, smaller units of IG (20) without a Castellan are at a high risk of getting hit and breaking. You might combine those units into one big blunderbuss/ fireglaive unit. Give them the gleaming pennant or invest in a BSB. You could take the points from the 3 K’Daai and put these towards a BSB.

I don’t mean to tear down your list, but I would hate for you to commission an army at great expense and then be unhappy with how the units performed. You should definitely do some serious play testing to get the list down before dropping a ton of cash on a commissioned army. Hope some of this helps. :cheers

The Lazy Samurai

ZigZags:

Hi there,

I have a few quick thoughts for your list. I like that you have a lot of different unit types. The unique options and units are a big part of the fun of playing a chaos dwarf list for me. You have three lvl 2 wizards which is usually seen in a war machine heavy list so they can be engineers for multiple war machines.  You have 2 war machines, so this does not seem necessary. You would be much better off taking the points from 2 of the sorcerers and combining them for a lvl 4 wizard.  

A unit of 3 K'Daai sounds fun, but such a small unit is bound to burn itself out before having a significant effect on the battle. Also, smaller units of IG (20) without a Castellan are at a high risk of getting hit and breaking. You might combine those units into one big blunderbuss/ fireglaive unit. Give them the gleaming pennant or invest in a BSB. You could take the points from the 3 K'Daai and put these towards a BSB.

I don't mean to tear down your list, but I would hate for you to commission an army at great expense and then be unhappy with how the units performed. You should definitely do some serious play testing to get the list down before dropping a ton of cash on a commissioned army. Hope some of this helps. :cheers

The Lazy Samurai

TheLazySamurai
I see what you're saying and I definitely appreciate the feedback. That is exactly why I want to get some opinions before commissioning out this job. I have made some modifications to my list which can be seen in my original post.

TheLazySamurai:

Adding the two castellans is an interesting move. You don’t see it much on these forums, but two stubborn blocks have potential. If you want those blocks to stay stubborn, the castellans have to be alive. Your current kit on both does not lend itself to their longevity. Drop the fireglaive and the pistol. You may have to retool the list a bit to find some points. My suggestions:

1) drop the K’Daai fireborn completely

2) drop ranged weapons from castellans

3) add a small unit of 3 centaur renders with great weapons and a musician to fill the roll of the original 3 K’Daai that you ad in the list (flanking, threatening chaff, destroyer delivery, etc)

4) make one castellan a BSB and put him in the fireglaive unit protecting your war machines

You now have 180 points left over. Spend a fair bit of that making your castellans into juggernauts. Mask of furnace and GW in sword and board unit, dawn stone/ enchanted shield in the fireglaives. There are some pretty standard kits, but I’m sure you’ll find something fun to do with them. After that you have some points for a banner (razor standard is en vogue this season for infernal guard :)) and maybe a khan on a wolf.

I’m just throwing out ideas here. Nothing above is required for you to have a decent list (except maybe kitting out the castellans). If you do any play testing you should give us some battle reports. These forums tend to like a write up of a good game. Best of luck with your new murderous little men. :cheers

The Lazy Samurai

TheHoodedMan:

If you want to keep the model number low you should include a lord. A lot of points for 1 model, especially on a bale taurus and if you want to sell the army it is an awesome eyecatcher.

There are other opinions but from my point of view a lvl 4 caster is essential at this points range.

ZigZags:

If you want to keep the model number low you should include a lord. A lot of points for 1 model, especially on a bale taurus and if you want to sell the army it is an awesome eyecatcher.
There are other opinions but from my point of view a lvl 4 caster is essential at this points range.

TheHoodedMan
I have re-edited my list for a 3rd time now and seem to be most comfortable with this setup after play testing a couple rounds. What do you think of this list? The only Castellan joins the 24 block of Hw/Shield

I didn't include a Lord for a few reasons, 1 being their cost and 2 I want to chain fire spells on units from 2 Fire Wizards for the +D3 and to match my army theme. Also the 2 level 2's help against miscast blowing up my only or large point sink wizard.