[Archive] 2k4 ETC "Point Denial"

Far2Casual:

I’m going to test a funky list tonight as a preparation of a tournament who uses those retarded ETC restrictions. I really don’t like them so my very first idea when faced to such problems is always to try to exploit the comp system to get the lamest army I can find. I came up with this :

Sorcerer-Prophet, General, lvl4, Bale Taurus, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Scroll, Lore of Fire - 600 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, GW, Dawnstone, Armour of Bazherak the Cruel - 185 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, Shield, GW, The Mask of the Furnace, BSB - 202 Pts.

23 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Hailshot Blunderbusses, M, S, Std. of Swiftness - 449 Pts.

23 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Hailshot Blunderbusses, M, S - 434 Pts.

K’daii Destroyer - 325 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.

Total: 2400

The idea of this is point denial obviously. Two Ld9 Stubborn blocks of about 630 points, a general on a Bale Taurus and a K’Daai Destroyer for the mobility, and a Hellcannon for some ranged threat.

The Bale Taurus will hide behind terrain or the K’daai against gunlines, and their mobility shoud allow them to get stuck into combat ASAP (if possible, in turn 2) against those armies. Few gunlines have units that can be a threat against these units in combat. And if the Prophet gets killed in CC, they still have to kill the Taurus afterwards.

The deployment will be a problem though, but it should not be that hard with only 4 drops before the characters :smiley:

Far2Casual:

I’m going to test a funky list tonight as a preparation of a tournament who uses those retarded ETC restrictions. I really don’t like them so my very first idea when faced to such problems is always to try to exploit the comp system to get the lamest army I can find. I came up with this :

Sorcerer-Prophet, General, lvl4, Bale Taurus, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Scroll, Lore of Fire - 600 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, GW, Dawnstone, Armour of Bazherak the Cruel - 185 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, Shield, GW, The Mask of the Furnace, BSB - 202 Pts.

23 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Hailshot Blunderbusses, M, S, Std. of Swiftness - 449 Pts.

23 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Hailshot Blunderbusses, M, S - 434 Pts.

K’daii Destroyer - 325 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.

Total: 2400

The idea of this is point denial obviously. Two Ld9 Stubborn blocks of about 630 points, a general on a Bale Taurus and a K’Daai Destroyer for the mobility, and a Hellcannon for some ranged threat.

The Bale Taurus will hide behind terrain or the K’daai against gunlines, and their mobility shoud allow them to get stuck into combat ASAP (if possible, in turn 2) against those armies. Few gunlines have units that can be a threat against these units in combat. And if the Prophet gets killed in CC, they still have to kill the Taurus afterwards.

The deployment will be a problem though, but it should not be that hard with only 4 drops before the characters :smiley:

Da Crusha:

I dont feel like it is such a tough list particularly vs a gunline. I mean you are likely to rush your lord and kdaii into combat meaning them vs an army and then the IG will come marching by several turns later. even worse if your opponent has re-directors or chaff for you to shoot at. still Im curious, let us know how it goes.

Marduk:

The Bale Taurus will hide behind terrain or the K'daai against gunlines, and their mobility shoud allow them to get stuck into combat ASAP (if possible, in turn 2) against those armies.

Far2Casual
I never thought of hiding a Bale Taurus behind a K´daai. That would be a funny sight. I'll try it myself, though I think the K'daai is not enough to hide the BT, perhaps I'll add an Iron Daemon to the block for added weirdness.

Also, consider that if the Lord on Bale Taurus is hidden, he also has his own line of sight blocked for casting.

What are the ETC restrictions? I am not familiar with them.

Jaakko:

What are the ETC restrictions? I am not familiar with them.

Marduk
You can find the latest ones here.

Far2Casual:

Another thing that is very important to take into consideration when evaluating the list : with ETC restrictions, gunlines are almost impossible. You can only take 45 models with shooting weapons of range 20" or more, and max 4 template weapons & warmachines. So the worst gunline I could possibly face would be 2 Grudge Throwers, an Organ Gun, and either an Anvil or a Cannon.

Far2Casual:

I had a fun game, I lost before my opponent even moved a single model. We rolled for a scenario, got Blood and Glory, I casted one spell in my turn 1 with 3 dices, got IF and sucked into the warp. Down to 3 banners, game over :D. For the ETC tournament it doesn’t matter, as they don’t use that scenario, but obviously it’s something to consider with this army.

We actually played the rest of the game. He was using a Beastmen list using the ETC comp so it meant he had 200 more points than me and was allowed more points for his units.

He was using Lore of Death so after my sorcerer died it was easy for him to snipe my BSB during his turn 1 with the Caress of Laniph and throw a Purple Sun in turn 3 on his unit to kill half of them. After that he will eventually run the rest of that unit … but that’s all the points he’ll take this game.

My Hellcannon ran down a unit of 30 Gors.
My Destroyer killed 5 Minotaurs with a BSB Minotaur and finished the 40 Bestigors with his Chaman at the end.
My Bale Taurus got Frenzy and Hatred after losing my prophet, charged 30 Gors and killed them in ~5 rounds of combat. After his charge he got flank charged by 4 Minotaurs + another Minotaur hero but killed them also, taking only 2 wounds in the combat. The Gors were free combat resolution points and the Minotaurs just could not get the needed 6s.
And the other unit of Guards killed 2 units of ~15 Ambushing Gors by delivering two rounds of shooting at about 18 wounds per round.

So at the end, my opponent got 200+100 points of my BSB and 450 points from one unit of Guards (that he basically killed only due to the lucky Caress & Purple Sun), and I tabled him on turn 5. He had no chaff and lots of gors with S3, and a flaming banner on his Bestigors. So his list was absolutely terrible against mine and I just can’t see how I could possibly lose any game in this configuration.

Far2Casual:

I’ll just bump this thread to say that I just crushed everything I faced (2k5 of HE with Book of Hoeth, 2k6 points of both WE and Beastmen). Remember we play under ETC comp, meaning that those armies had additional points and a VP reduction.