[Archive] 2nd BFSP set or individual boxes?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi Guys and Dolls!:hat off

I’m just wondering what is a better purchace for building up a larger CD army.

After buying and converting my original BFSP set, I’m starting to play some battles in my hobby store against some customers and their armies and although my CD’s are doing well as is, I can see that the BFSP set isn’t quite as powerful on it’s own in some areas.

The way I have built them, I have 12 CD Warriors, 10 CD Warriors with Great Weapons (From the 8 miners + 2 more a friend gave me.) and 10 CD Blunderbuss crew.

If I buy another BFSP set, I can double up my current units (With GW crew becoming 18 instead of 20 and the cannon crew, etc.) but then I end up with double the amount of standard bearers, champions and musicians, not to mention another 60+ night goblins that I don’t really want to convert, but could be used to make Sneaky Gits which I don’t have. However, the set is cheap.

On the other hand, if I buy a box of Dwarf Warriors and split the box in half with 8 Dwarfs becoming Warriors and the other 8 with GW, then I’ll have 20 warriors and 18 GW. A box of Thunderers could increase my BB unit to 26. Since the seporate figures are customizable, I can make them all a standard warrior for their unit type and omit the SB, M and Champ. Also, the Dwarfs wouldn’t be stuck in the same poses as the BFSP set. Yet, the price is a few dollars more for less figures.

What do you guys think would be the best solution?

Please help soon. I’ll be placing an order to GW on Tuesday.

Astranagant:

Honestly, I feel you’d be better off buying the BFSP sprues straight off of re-sellers, if you can find them (the warriors especially are getting scarce, probably due to folk on these very forums), but I don’t really think it’s worth getting another box, unless you’d like to hock the Night Goblins (I’ve got around 120 of them myself). Also the extras available with the Thunderer/Miner/Warrior boxed sets largely make it worthwhile…

If you do end up buying a 2nd BFSP, I might be willing to take some of those NGs off your hands, no sense ruining them (and testing your patience) by turning them into Hobgobs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Kera foehunter:

i buy another st and you can sell of what you don’t need it the cheapest box set out there

Pyro Stick:

Just buy the BFSP set and dont bother covnerting the night goblins. Just use them as sneaky gits/hobgoblins as they are. Converting that many night goblins is more trouble than its worth and it would probably be easier to convert the multipart night goblins than the single part. Im sure you will be able to sell the command models as well.

Loki:

You are best of with BFSP that is how i made my army i ending up buying 3 boxes and i got a Chaos dwarf army from it and a night goblin army :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

But a box of thunders you can get your weapons and warriors too.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

It’s a toss up either way. Somehow though, I don’t want my army to look too identical. The boxed guys allow me to make different poses.

CDblunderbuss:

It's a toss up either way. Somehow though, I don't want my army to look too identical. The boxed guys allow me to make different poses.
I agree, I like a bit of variety in my armies.

Perturabo:

I went for individual boxes after my BfSP set. I did order another two sets of the basic warriors, but for my blunderers and GW CDs I bought the Miner and Thunderer boxes. I like the variety and extra bits from the boxes.

Not that I’ve finished building a whole unit yet…

Guardian_A:

With me, I bought one BfSP box for my Chaos Dwarf army, then picked up a Dwarf Batallion box to help flesh it out. I felt that the Batallion box added a lot more visual veriety.

If you’re on a buget, then the BfSP box is the better value.

Kera foehunter:

hey for 20 .00 more you could buy a Batallion box like guardian said??

then you have everything

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Batallion box? BATTALLION BOX!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHH! (In Stimpy voice)

Now why didn’t I think of that before I placed my GW order? … UGH! I’m such an eeeeeeeeeeeediot!

Dwarf Battalion ~ Contents: Dwarf Cannon (this kit can be built as either a Dwarf Cannon or Dwarf Organ Gun), 32 Dwarf Warriors (including Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician), 16 Thunderers/Quarrellers (can be assembled as Thunderers, Quarrellers and Rangers, including Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician).

Games Workshop
Could have built a unit of 16 Blunderbuss, 16 Warriors with hand weapon and shield, 16 Great Weapons Warriors, and a 2nd Death Rocket or Earth shaker for my army.

Ogrob:

The miner set also comes with ponies that can be made into Bull Centaurs. One pony per five dwarves.

I’m so far just working with the miner plastics, I grabbed a set to try out the convertion process before buying over 100 models :wink:

Guardian_A:

The miner set also comes with ponies that can be made into Bull Centaurs. One pony per five dwarves.

I'm so far just working with the miner plastics, I grabbed a set to try out the convertion process before buying over 100 models ;)

Ogrob
You can pick up just the Grudge Ponies on ebay for about $2 each, that will get you a lot of ponies for what you would normally pay for the Miners box.

Willmark:

IMHO it was worth buying two sets. Right now its our starter set for Chaos Dwarfs.