[Archive] 2nd edition AD&D forum starting

Willmark:

For those being there from the beginning (edit: of the forum that is) there is a new, smallish forum forming for 2nd edition AD&D; it can be found here:

http://www.purpleworm.org/forums/index.php

GRNDL:

2nd Edition is hardly the beginning… Something like 14 years afterward. I’ve never understood the fascination for 2e AD&D - although it started off strongly, being streamlined and focussed, TSR quickly reintroduced all the crap and it became bloated and awkward. Meh.

Still, thanks for the heads up.

Willmark:

2nd Edition is hardly the beginning... Something like 14 years afterward. I've never understood the fascination for 2e AD&D - although it started off strongly, being streamlined and focused, TSR quickly reintroduced all the crap and it became bloated and awkward. Meh.

Still, thanks for the heads up.

GRNDL
Well aware of the beginnings/origins of D&D, OD&D and AD&D.

I meant if you want to be there from the beginning of the forum... edited my original post to point that out.

There is nothing that says you cant make 2nd edition "streamlined and focused", just use the parts you want and dont use the rest. I'm DMing 2nd right now and I dont use anything I dont want, like the 2.5 stuff. Some people love it but not me, too 3rd or 4th edition-ish to me.

GRNDL:

Ahh, I see.

Yeah, you can run any version of D&D streamlined and focussed if you want, but why 2e in particular? Looking back, the only versions that blew my skirt up were Basic D&D and AD&D 1e. Although I’ve played a ton of 2e and only a smattering of e3 and 4e, I didn’t like it that much. So why 2e?

(personally, I preferred RuneQuest as a FRP)

Willmark:

The way I (and others) who like it think is that 2e is 1st cleaned up. 1st edition Initiative or Unarmed Combat anyone??? So in a way its an improvement to the OS as it were and then you can plugin in any add ones that meet your needs.

Plus because its so close to 1st that you can use all of the 1st edition modules easily.

If anything on my next collecting quest it might be collecting 2e WFRP as there is a lot of material out there.