[Archive] 3D sculpting blog

Grimstonefire:

Not really sure which section this should go in actually…

Anyhow, I recently bought:

Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2011

Autodesk® Maya® 2011

Autodesk® Softimage® 2011

Autodesk® MotionBuilder® 2011

Autodesk® Mudbox�"� 2011

For a complete beginner this probably wasn’t the best purchase…  Maya and 3Ds Max are industry standard 3d design and animation packages so are rediculously complex to learn.

I’m going to try and keep a blog here of anything that ends up being fairly good.

To get things started, a Chaos Dwarf.

Sculpting the beard was incredibly hard, so not yet.

The ends of the trousers were really hard as well, also the feet… Not bad for a first attempt though.

zobo1942:

Great start on your chaos dwarf - keep up the good work!

Do you find that your physical sculpting skill makes virtual sculpting easier or harder? I’ve heard from many people that it helps quite a lot, much in the same way that people who know how to draw, etc… are better at creating computer models. A friend of mine, who worked in the gaming industry, used 3d modelling software extensively, and the funny thing was how close her virtual models resembled her freehand work.

A lot of people think that learning how a software package works will result in turning one into an artist or animator - it’s how a lot of technical colleges (become an 3D animator!, etc…) get people to enroll.

Grimstonefire:

Yes, I think it does. Mainly for anatomy though (as I haven’t really tried much else).

Once I get better with maya I should be able to create a decent CD mesh to get me started. I made a staircase thing as well, but it didn’t import properly into mudbox.

Kered:

I’v never used 3d max but I would sujest you at least have a look a zbush which is what I’v used in the past. I’m looking forward to seeing more.

zobo1942:

Speaking of digital 3d sculpting, Grim, have you thought about the compatibility of the digital models you produce with rapid prototyping techologies?

Here’s a company that does rapid prototyping: http://www.key3d.com/

I was looking at this a few years ago - not as the 3d artist creating the work, but as a way of farming out some ideas to some talented people and and producing prototype ‘sprues’ to be molded for resin casting. It never took off at the time, but it’s a really interesting idea.

Have you though about doing this at some point in the future, possibly - or do you have other goals?

Baggronor:

Sounds like an expensive package there, Grim, nice :cheers

Your pic doesn’t show up for me though, just get a ‘?’ :frowning:

Maya and 3Ds Max are industry standard 3d design and animation packages so are rediculously complex to learn.
Yeah, but I still think its better to buy the best stuff and learn it slowly than something easier which can’t produce the results you’d like. I’ve always wanted to get hold of some 3d stuff at home, gonna get around to it one day. When I have some money…
I’ve heard from many people that it helps quite a lot, much in the same way that people who know how to draw, etc… are better at creating computer models.
I’m not surprised by that, my miniature sculpts resemble my drawings :slight_smile:

zobo1942:

I’ve only used some very basic stuff, about 12 years ago (or so…) So, a lifetime ago, as it comes to computer software. Now, I focus on 2D drawings using programs like Adobe Illustrator, and I’m slowly working my way through a ‘How to…’ Flash manual to try to make some simple motion graphics.

There are some inexpensive 3D app - DAZ3D, google SketchUp, and others, which could be used to learn the basic concepts that all these programs share.

I’d like to do some 3D learning as well - a Flash project I’m working on could really benefit from a high quality 3D rendered landscape. Also, roughing out a gaming table in 3D would be really neat!

Nicodemus:

Great start!

What about making sections of CD scenery.  In planning my next terrain project (in real life) is to make either 12"x12" or 24"x24" sections of CD terrain that are all modular and can be arranged in multiple ways. Any chance you could take that kind of approach - modular 3D pieces that you could ultimately build up into sections of Zharr Naggrund?  :hat

Grimstonefire:

I don’t know if the packages I’ve got are suitable to make landscapes to be honest, but if they are I will certainly have a go. Building a whole city would take a while…

@Zobo

First things first, I need to try and learn as much as I can. I can’t say that is something I’d consider properly, but who knows.

@Baggronor

The link is the CD2.mov :wink: I didn’t have a decent image for a .mov file (as I had to add it as an attachment type) so I left it blank. Cost me £153 for all those (incl VAT).

http://www.bluegfx.com/estore_new.php?developer_id=71

Baggronor:

Cost me £153 for all those (incl VAT).
Is that all?! :o Hashut's balls, I need to get some.

Grimstonefire:

Well, you have to have a valid student card (they ask you to email a scan of it) to get it at that price.

Malorn:

I have been taught Maya over the last 2 years in a 3D school. Your first attemt is really good!

Maya/Max = Same same. Of course there are big diffrences, but not in the first couple of years of learning.

Mudbox or zbrush should give a cool finish, but I haven’t tried it myself.

Baggronor:

Well, you have to have a valid student card (they ask you to email a scan of it) to get it at that price.
Finally, my little sister might be useful for something :)

Nice start btw, although I do think he isn't hench enough.

Grimstonefire:

I did cheat a fair bit on this. Mudbox comes with a few template meshes, one of which is a human.

I messed around with the scales until it looked about right. If had created that template in maya it would be really awesome, and something I hope to work towards eventually.

maxxev:

Cost me £153 for all those (incl VAT).

http://www.bluegfx.com/estore_new.php?developer_id=71

Grimstonefire
DAMN, and I was looking at this just the other day until I saw the prices were all in the thousands!!