[Archive] 80s Breakfast Cereal (UK)

Vogon:

OK so here’s the deal.

We’re currently in Australia, for breakfast the twins have been eating “Kellogs Nutri-grain”. This morning one of the twins decided that she couldn’t finish her bowl full so being the good dad I am I finished it off before washing up.

Now here’s the thing, the taste strongly reminded me of a breakfast cereal from the eighties and I can’t remember what it was called, I think it was made by Quaker and I remember the advert for it being the cereal being pirate ships in the bowl of milk. they were shaped like pillows and were hollow (so they floated hence the pirate ship adverts).

Does any one out there remember these things, what they were called and if they’re still available?

We’re off out for our day now so I’m not going to be able to respond for a few hours but if anyone out there can help it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Vogon

cornixt:

I remember those. I think they were called Oaties or Oat Crunchies or something similar. Definitely had oats in the name. I would have described tham as looking like little sacks. A quick google brought up something called Cap’n Crunch but they look different to what I am thinking about.

Vogon:

Oat crunchies sounds familiar to me now that you mention it but google is letting me down as well.

I think I may have to resort to asking my parents.

Cheers

Vogon

devlanmud:

http://www.quaker.co.uk/ready_to_eat/products/cereals/oat-crisp I think this is it. I remember having them as a kid too.

Groznit Goregut:

I remember Captain Crunch! I used to love the cereal. In fact, I got some for my kids…and it tasted terrible! It was hard like plastic. It turns out they changed the formula and it’s just bad now. My wife managed to find a generic store brand that was actually still made of oats and a “rip off” of Captain Crunch, but much better stuff than what is sold as the original these days…

Pyro Stick:

http://www.quaker.co.uk/ready_to_eat/products/cereals/oat-crisp I think this is it. I remember having them as a kid too.

devlanmud
I had 2 boxes of these last week. That was the first time i had seen them so i thought they were new. I dont really think theres anything special about them. I just ended up pouring maple syrup all over them lol.

Vogon:

That oat crisp looks like a close match from what I can see on the picture. I will have to see if I can find some in the store.

Cheers

Vogon

Nicodemus:

Man, going to Australia recently and taking a stroll down the cereal isle was like going to a parallel dimension. Everything looked familiar from far away, but then up close pictures and art work was slightly off and all of the names were different. I mean, Snap, Crackle and Pop on a Rice Bubbles box? Weird!!

Kera foehunter:

I remember Captain Crunch!  I used to love the cereal.  In fact, I got some for my kids....and it tasted terrible!  It was hard like plastic.  It turns out they changed the formula and it's just bad now.  My wife managed to find a generic store brand that was actually still made of oats and a "rip off" of Captain Crunch, but much better stuff than what is sold as the original these days...

Groznit Goregut
**Kera snicker**

ohhhhhhhhh no !! you musta eat the toy that was in the box Mr. gore gut
But they are trying to cut down on the sugar content.
Opps i mean Corn Syrup.

Vogon:

devlanmud
Got some this weekend and yes they are just the same as I remember (though I think a little less sweet)

Cheers

Vogon

devlanmud:

Glad to have been of service :hat off