[Archive] [8th Ed] Casual Tournament: 1750 pts

Helblindi:

Hi guys,

About two weeks ago, we had a little informal tournament with four players: Empire, DoC, CD and Vampire Counts with a touch of Tomb Kings. We made it so everyone played against everyone once, which meant 3 battles each. I took pics of my battles, and then tried to reconstruct what happened. Means my batrep is a but fuzzy on the details, but it is nevertheless a tale of pity and woe for the Dawi Zharr. My Daemonsmiths have spent the past two weeks turning prince Urdblindi back from gold to flesh. The procedure is not quite finished yet…

It’s pdf this time, with pics instead of Battle Chronicler schematics, but I guess it’ll do :slight_smile:

Our conclusion was I play to much fear-based, trying to counter any enemy unit without losing any of my troops instead of acting out my own plans. Also, choosing your army based on what models you’ve got painted isn’t the best tactical option, although it did push me to get a lot of stuff painted.

Malorndk:

More close ups! I’m here to watch cool minis in nice paint, battling other minis on a nice tabletop with unique terrain.

But thanks for the report anyways :slight_smile: Was a good read <3

Miasma:

Nice little reports, love the scenery in the 2nd and 3rd reports

Helblindi:

Yeah, my cousin brought that scenery. Really cool! Every walkway can be connected with bridges and ladders. Not used to its full potential in a game of WHFB. Maybe this is a case where AOS might be called for. Or just Mordheim :slight_smile:

The photos are relatively sucky quality. I only took 'em for reference later. Just went through the lot, and there’s really nothing worth uploading that didn’t make it into the pdfs.

Also notice the Rocket Launcher & crew from Tjub himself! They died in every game, but it was fun having them around :slight_smile:

Miasma:

I tried every acronym I could think of but I'm not coming up with anything - what is "Naf"?

Grimbold Blackhammer
Got any proof of that? You on the board of Execs? Same old story from the haters

Doombeard
Well, they've just flipped a 180 on one of the defining features of AoS - no points - so perhaps the onus is on you to give reasons why you think it might be doing well?

Or perhaps the half-year financial report, in which GW's brand-new high-falutin' IP and game apparently didn't merit a mention (while turnover and profits remained relentlessly static, and profit ignoring licensing, i.e. from models and books - GW's core businesses) may constitute "proof", being hard numbers as they are. If AoS were financially successful, wouldn't it have shown up in the figures as improved revenue and/or profit, and wouldn't GW be shouting it from the rooftops? Instead they issued a trading update warning of reduced profits after December was "below expectations".

FWIW, a well-placed source tells me that AoS has done about one-sixth of the sales target GW had set it - not that I expect anyone to take my word for that. It's very believable though, given the above, and the absolute lack of any evidence whatsoever that AoS is succeeding. Honestly though, if you are so sure that the "new crowd" are making AoS a success (and you seem happy enough to wish good riddance to the "old crowd" - don't worry about that, BTW, the lack of points was but one of the many problems with AoS that led me and much of the rest of the "old crowd" to stay away); why do you think GW have felt the need to change one of the fundamental pillars of the rule-set less than a year after its release? Truly, I'm genuinely curious what other explanation you can propose. The next-best answer I can think of is some kind of platitude about GW "listening to what people want", but (a) they seemed pretty insistent that they believed people did not want points, and (b) listening to what people want would never have led to them canning WHFB and releasing AoS in the first place:
You can all criticize all you want, but the fact is in the last few weeks we've seen more positive engagement from GW with AOS than we ever did with WFB in its dying years
Maybe if they'd shown that positive engagement before, WHFB wouldn't have been "dying", and GW wouldn't have killed it.

Bitterman
Yeah, my cousin brought that scenery. Really cool! Every walkway can be connected with bridges and ladders. Not used to its full potential in a game of WHFB. Maybe this is a case where AOS might be called for. Or just Mordheim :)

The photos are relatively sucky quality. I only took 'em for reference later. Just went through the lot, and there's really nothing worth uploading that didn't make it into the pdfs.

Also notice the Rocket Launcher & crew from Tjub himself! They died in every game, but it was fun having them around :)

Helblindi
Where can I get that terrain? Could be decent on Necromunda tables or Inq28.