[Archive] 8th ed hobgobbo wolf riders

Tarrakk Blackhand:

True…I’m just saying that if you did build your models with the hand weapons, that these are the advantages you’d experiance playing the unit. Armed with bows,the advantages increase, obviously.

Also, with their low Initiative, you’ll be very lucky to get as many Attacks as you’ve listed in combat.
Depends who they’re up against. Right now I’m playing against a High Elf army, and they pretty much get owned before they even swing an axe. However, if they get into combat with an Orc and Goblin Army, Dwarfs, Tomb Kings, Bretonia and Empire (In some cases), Ogre Kingdoms and Vampire Counts, they’d do not too badly in wining Inititive.

As a “General”, it’s up to you to know how and where to use your troops. If the army exists, try using it to your full advantage.

Also, after playing so many “Shooty” battles against enemies, I might want to try out a full out non-shooty battle using Axe and Shield CD’s as opposed to BB units.

aka_mythos:

I think his point though is that with ranged shooting they have a higher degree of consistency that isn’t as dependent on who you’re fighting.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

True, but like I said, there IS a reason to use the Weapon/Shield combo. They’re not “Totally Useless”, as it were. They’re just not as effective.

Thommy H:

I didn’t say they were useless - in fact, you should give them shields too. That way you get a 4+ armour save, which no other fast cavalry unit can get.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

My models have shields - or did you mean the archers?

Thommy H:

I meant “you” in the general sense. They should be given shields and bows.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Ok. I see your point! :smiley:

KramDratta:

Alas, it means he doesn't. There is nothing specifying that a Hobgoblin hero on wolf counts as fast cavalry, which is annoying.

Hashut's Blessing
Hang on a sec. I'm not so sure about this. (Been thinking about this for quite a while)

It states that "If Hobgoblins are mounted on wolves they are fast cavalry"

I think this also applies to Hobgoblin heros, in the way that the "Chaos Dwarfs only flee or pursue 2D6-1" instead of the normal 2D6" also applies to characters.

Rules-wise either both rules apply to characters & normal troops or none of them.

Don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly.

Da Crusha:

Alas, it means he doesn't. There is nothing specifying that a Hobgoblin hero on wolf counts as fast cavalry, which is annoying.

Hashut's Blessing
Hang on a sec. I'm not so sure about this. (Been thinking about this for quite a while)

It states that "If Hobgoblins are mounted on wolves they are fast cavalry"

I think this also applies to Hobgoblin heros, in the way that the "Chaos Dwarfs only flee or pursue 2D6-1" instead of the normal 2D6" also applies to characters.

Rules-wise either both rules apply to characters & normal troops or none of them.

Don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly.

KramDratta
this rule, "If Hobgoblins are mounted on wolves they are fast cavalry", is in the hobgoblin core choice section, so it is a troop specific rule. the rule "dwarfs flee and pursue 2D6-1" is not a troop specific rule it is an army wide rule.

KramDratta:

@Da Crusha: Good catch. Did not notice that.

Spikes:

So if I march move and shoot at stuff at long range (18+24" range), benefiting from my fast cav rule and all, I hit them on 5+? With ten arrows, even if ranked up 5 wide?

Thommy H:

You’ll need 6s at long range, actually.

Spikes:

So there you see where melee is actually useful. Against skirmishers and whatnot, with movement, range, cover and lone models, there are a LOT of to hit modifiers to take into consideration when trying to shoot at stuff.

For me, wolf riders are warmachine hunters (or if they can’t hunt it, at least they’ll tie it down in combat, thus preventing it from shooting).

Thommy H:

Yes, I did say they can hold their own in combat too - but there’s no reason (besides points) not to give them bows as well. Using them just for melee is crazy, because it’s not what they’re best at. It’s like using Bretonnian Knights to march block, or Glade Guard as a defensive bastion. They can work in those roles, but using them for that is a waste of potential.

Vash:

the difference is also in the list you play. using the ravening hordes you should give them full options if points allow it, as there are no restriction to take into account (despite the character not beeing a fast cavalry model if taken).

for the indy list, shields take away their fast cavalry rule. and i’m not entirely sure if the combo spears and bows can be made.

i make all my wolfriders with magnets so i can swap between spears or bows… one of the best tips i’ve received on this forum.