[Archive] 8th edition temperature (How much you like 8E)

Swissdictator:

Stole this from the regional gaming site I’m on.

I thought it would be interesting to poll the current temperature regarding 8th edition.

Temperature Gauge:

1 (Freezing) - This is the WFB Apocolypse for you. You are done with WFB when the new edition lands.

2 (Cold) - You are not happy with what you are hearing and fear this could ruin the game, but your not ready to jump.

3 (Cool) - Don’t like some of the stuff you are hearing and think it may take away from the game, but you are not dreading it.

4 (Neutral) - Its just another edition and doesn’t move you either way.

5 (Warm) - You like some of the stuff you are hearing, but not enough to get worked up about it or really concerned about when it will arrive.

6 (Hot) - You feel that a new edition is much needed, and glad that it is on the way.

7 (Boiling) - Cannot arrive soon enough. Just what the game needed to inject some new life into it. If you could be anymore positive about it, you would be a proton.

saurus:

Its all terrible, I swear WHFR 8th Ed. is predicted as one of the four horsement of the apocalypse, along with Barack Obama, Australian internet censorship, and fox refusing to do another season of Futurama.

Its all over! I dont know how to deal with life when 7th ed. finishes I cannot cope with new things. “WHF 8th Ed. is change I can’t believe in!” I might go call a suicide hotline after I finish this post, maybe they can stop me from making a home made guilotine. If only suicide booths existed! Curse you Rupert Murdoch!

Xander:

It all seems pretty good to me. Even more focus on troops, more useful terrain rules, all are good in my opinion.

dedwrekka:

All looks very awesome and exciting, and all written in such a way as to leave little to no doubt as to how the rules are supposed to be applied. The consolidated special rules section is particularly amazing.

Its all terrible, I swear WHFR 8th Ed. is predicted as one of the four horsement of the apocalypse, along with Barack Obama, Australian internet censorship, and fox refusing to do another season of Futurama.

Its all over! I dont know how to deal with life when 7th ed. finishes I cannot cope with new things. “WHF 8th Ed. is change I can’t believe in!” I might go call a suicide hotline after I finish this post, maybe they can stop me from making a home made guilotine. If only suicide booths existed! Curse you Rupert Murdoch!

saurus
You know they’re getting new episodes of that show right?

Khan!:

Warmish. It seems interesting to me so far. I played very few games of 7th, so I’m not particularly attached to the previous edition.

Hopefully the rules will be written with clarity. I’m uncertain that the changes will be really all that dramatic, altho I like the consolidated magic item list for sure.

Swissdictator:

I’ve went from neutral to boiling. The more I hear the more I like, and I really love the changes to the magic phase. I won’t feel the need, especially with Chaos Dwarfs, to take 2 casters kitted out for full magic defense to have a “minimal” magic defense.

@Khan: I know how you feel, though the things I was initially uncertain about I’ve warmed up to a lot, or at least saw the logic for the change and have accepted it.

Overall the more I learn and think about it, the happier I am. It will breathe new life into it, and that is very much welcome.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’m more likely A 2.5, but I voted for 2. I don’t really like a lot of the rumours that had come about and a lot of people didn’t. Since it came out, people seemed to have warmed to it, but I still don’t feel it necessary to have changed the rules so extensively and, whilst a 528 page full-colour book is worth a lot, I don’t feel prepared to pay £45 to play it when I can play the current set. If I get the chance to look at the book, I feel that this would change slightly,b ut I still am not prepared to pay so much when what is currently about is good enough for me. Particularly since that £45 can be better spent on the majority of three boxes of models and I don’t have that much cash to spare anyway, particularly since the models themselves cost so much and, to top it all off, you need more models than before for even the basic games and to benefit from a lot of the rules.

So, in summary, I am not prepared to buy it now and am not fond of it at all, but if I get to look at it more properly, I may hate it a little less, but still am not prepared to buy it.

Khan!:

Hashut’s Blessing makes a good point about the cost of buying a new set of rules. I certainly don’t intend to buy the new book. I don’t have any doubt that I’ll be able to pick up the new rules without too much trouble if I choose to play sometime soon.

Still, the rules themselves don’t lose points with me by virtue of the fact that GW wants to sell them.

Canix:

Voted hot but it should have been boiling ,7th ed was never my favourite but these rules are a breath of fresh air to the fantasy scene.My only misgivings would be for new players being overwhelmed by the number of miniatures required .It looks like a great ruleset and i wont have to get it yet  because my nephew has ordered the gamers edition. :hat

AGPO:

I’m really pleased with the new rules, my only worry is that it doesn’t cater for mega battles very well, meaning that soon we’ll have to shell out for an apocalypse style supplement for what could be sorted with a WD errata. Very canny marketing wise GW, but it pisses me off!

Grimstonefire:

I think the rules are an improvement, but I’m not sure yet if they will reduce the impact of hero hammer or not.  There’s a lot more magic items providing crazy things, and as the slots have gone there will probably be more of them about.

Some of the other issues appear to have been balanced, so I think overall it’s good but not great.

The scenarios are going to be good.

My biggest issue is with all the crazy terrain rules.  The designers seem to have decided to ‘warhammerise’ everything, something I’m not to keen on.  No, a few of my gaming buddies are talking about house ruling out all the crazy terrain stuff.  Not that it will matter hugely to me, but I may game now and then.

dedwrekka:

I'm really pleased with the new rules, my only worry is that it doesn't cater for mega battles very well, meaning that soon we'll have to shell out for an apocalypse style supplement for what could be sorted with a WD errata. Very canny marketing wise GW, but it pisses me off!

AGPO
There's several sections dealing with larger and larger battles. And if there's ever been a way to scale a system, it's percentages, allies, massive missions with flying zepplins and gyrocopters, sea battles, and.... sorry got lost in the flow there.
I think the rules are an improvement, but I'm not sure yet if they will reduce the impact of hero hammer or not.  There's a lot more magic items providing crazy things, and as the slots have gone there will probably be more of them about.

Grimstonefire
That's something I've been looking at a lot recently. Armies like Warriors of Chaos, Demons of Chaos, or really anyone with very expensive characters are going to be seeing less of them than normal and with less powerful equipment options. As I pointed out somewhere on here, things like a Plague Furnace are going to be seen a lot less and less.
Now that the option to take more characters is opened up, I expect we'll see more armies with many, less powerful characters and less tooled up and kitted out characters.

If I wanted to take a Lord on that big expensive mount for any army, I'd now have to balance that in my mind with the option to take more than one lord in the army.

Take skaven for instance. If I wanted to take a Plague Furnace, it means using half of my points value on that one model before extra kit on the character. On the other hand, I could take an assasin alongside a BSB, a couple of casters, and an extra character which would balance out the army better than that one big character.

I could take a screaming bell, or I could take Thanquol and Boneripper, plus a Warlord, or I could take two Grey Seers and a Warlord.

The way I see it, before, we had no reason not to pay out the nose for a few big powerhouses. We only got so many of them to begin with, might as well make them count. But now, I can field 7 level 1 casters or more in an army, so all the reasons for paying so much for those three base heroes flies out the window when you can bring got extra.

Slots disappearing also helps those armies and characters that just couldn't compete for those crucial three slots in most armies. Those Eshin assassins, engineers, beastmasters, ect.
The scenarios are going to be good.

My biggest issue is with all the crazy terrain rules.  The designers seem to have decided to 'warhammerise' everything, something I'm not to keen on.  No, a few of my gaming buddies are talking about house ruling out all the crazy terrain stuff.  Not that it will matter hugely to me, but I may game now and then.
On that note, the terrain rules are actually quite simple, and usually have no special impact until they are actually interacted with by the armies. Most terrain is just as it was with the "visual minority" as a glaring exception. Though, all the special terrain has a chance of being nothing more than normal terrain.

The Mysterious Forests are a good example. Though, I will point out that the Warseer roundup is off on one point on that one. The mushroom forest makes goblins both stupid and stubborn.

Gar Shadowfame:

I’m sure new eddition is made in a way to require more troops, more models etc.

And i am sure i will read new book in pdf

Thorne:

I am simply not prepaired to answer this question till I see the contents of the boxed game. If the contents measure up to the quality of the battle for skull pass I will cast my vote then, That said I always wanted to make a nice high elf naggarythe style army.

cornixt:

I wish they’d release the army erratas already, half of the gamers have been playing 8th ed at their stores .

Ishkur Cinderhat:

All I will say to that is: I ordered the limited ed. rulebook and I am looking forward to a game system as revamped as we have ever seen it from GW! :slight_smile:

Fallen246:

I hate a few changes, love a few others.

Can’t really be entirely happy or sad about it.

Shakhorth:

I went from freezing to hot. When they announced the new edition I didn’t feel the need for yet again a new set of rules. But as the rumours cleared up and the actual rules became apparent I got excited. Now we’ll just have to wait until July 10.