[Archive] A Chaos Dwarf house on the hill

tjub:

Assuming Chaos Dwarfs build houses, how would they look? There is at least one mission where you need a few houses to defend along with a tower, so down the line I’ll build something. I guess Ill need some cool down until I start down terrain again but give me some ideas or your views on CD housing. :idea

MadHatter:

Assuming Chaos Dwarfs build houses, how would they look? There is at least one mission where you need a few houses to defend along with a tower, so down the line I'll build something. I guess Ill need some cool down until I start down terrain again but give me some ideas or your views on CD housing. :idea

tjub
I'm imagining something like this

but in black, corpses and skulls, runes and perhaps some dark machine that does eh... something

Doombeard:

I found a really nice Mine Entrance piece of scenery yesterday. I’ll see if I can dig out the link from yesterday. I’m not so sure about traditional houses, maybe, but the more traditional Tolkienesque Dwarf Mountain stronghold is a bit more conventional. Maybe Viking/Celtic longhouses like in How to Train your Dragon or something, could be a blacksmiths small holding. I prefer the Idea of small Ziggurats though, more of a spectacle and the original artwork/maps/bloodbowl teams suggested they lived in them. If you need smaller things to protect then you could always make Obelisks or Statues or Relics or Sacrifical Altars or a small temple of Hashut, slave pens, slave market, blacksmiths etc

MadHatter:

I found a really nice Mine Entrance piece of scenery yesterday. I'll see if I can dig out the link from yesterday. I'm not so sure about traditional houses, maybe, but the more traditional Tolkienesque Dwarf Mountain stronghold is a bit more conventional. Maybe Viking/Celtic longhouses like in How to Train your Dragon or something, could be a blacksmiths small holding.  I prefer the Idea of small Ziggurats though, more of a spectacle and the original artwork/maps/bloodbowl teams suggested they lived in them. If you need smaller things to protect then you could always make Obelisks or Statues or Relics or Sacrifical Altars or a small temple of Hashut, slave pens, slave market, blacksmiths etc

iamahobgoblin
Protecting petrified sorcerer?

Dînadan:

Don’t think I’ve ever thought of Chaos Dwarfs living in conventional houses; I’ve always imagined them living in large ziggurats, either the whole city being one huge ziggurat or being a complex of ziggurats with each clan and their vassals living in a different one, and having large subterrainian sections that they also live in.

If you’re after a tower surrounded by a small village, then how about a tall, thin ziggurat-like structure for the tower and a hobgoblin/slave shanty town for the other buildings (shacks, slave pens, wolf pens, etc)?

Admiral:

Good ideas, everybody. There is a lot that could be done with Dawi Zharr habitats.

If you’re looking for a squat outpost house you might want to check out Baggronor’s new one. It would need CD-fication, of course.

Doombeard:

http://ainstycastings.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/148/osCsid/7c696688ed4fca075b1810171e85e864

some great stuff on here. Just not sure which Scale it is

Dînadan:

http://ainstycastings.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/148/osCsid/7c696688ed4fca075b1810171e85e864

iamahobgoblin
The dungeon and sewer stuff is designed for 25-28mm so think the mine stuff would be the same. That said, not sure how suitable it'd be for Chaos Dwarfs as the mine is designed for Wild West games I believe.

Doombeard:

iamahobgoblin
The dungeon and sewer stuff is designed for 25-28mm so think the mine stuff would be the same.  That said, not sure how suitable it'd be for Chaos Dwarfs as the mine is designed for Wild West games I believe.

Dînadan
Ahh cool ok. Yeah its a bit Indiana Jones. I really like the Mine entrance, would be a cool objective, like a gate to guard or something. I like the idea of rails/tracks too but much more primitive and weathered and Mordor-ish

tjub:

Ive always pictured the Chaos Dwarfs to live in a huge ziggurat as well, unless they are stationed in a fortress somewhere across the dark lands. Im after an idea to that would represent houses as a terrain piece in future senarios. A less defendable building than a watchtower.

tjub:

Maybe it would be better to just build some hobgoblin huts like these…

As of mining, open pit mining is the way for us to go! :slight_smile:

Geist:

If you look at the fluff, chaos dwarfs are alot like dwarfs, but twisted of course. In other words they live in communities together, their homes are usually considered to be under ground as chambers in a shared cavern complex. To be sent above ground and alone is seen as a mark of shame or madness. Both cultural share this trait. Sure the dwari zar dont share the same ideas, but they are live together work together obey the order don’t make a fuss and advance in your station. Unless of course you are a prophet. They battle for more power in their own ways, rarely is it out and out warfare, as that’s not good for the race and the idea dwarven superiority. As a superior race would not battle with itself.

Bloodbeard:

I like your fortress Tjub. I think of chaos dwarfs as very pragmatic and effective. Everything has a purpose and luxury or cozyness is not a purpose.

I think of their architecture always being linked. In a large ziggurat, buildings with gangways between them, underground tunnels and mines, always ending up like a labyrinth - because of constant expansions and upgrade.

Every building has a purpose.  Smiths, forges, factories, temples, prisons, fighting pits, workshops, barracks.

A hellsmiths home is his smithy and he sleeps in a small alcove in there. No need for another place to go home.

Acolytes at the temple sleep, study and eat in dmall rooms underneath it. Always near the holy fires.

In the fighting pit the overseer lives in a little place overlooking the pitslaves.

Leisure time is small, as Chaos Dwarfs work tirelessly at their goal of total dominance. But such time will be spend drinking, gambling and shouting at gladitorial arenas.

Looks: Straight lines, heavy, dark, covered in dark black soot. Metal and stone. Everything build as a fortress, for protection of dark secrets.

TheHoodedMan:

Tjubs fortress is great. I imagine it as a outpost, like a fort near a natural border or a strategic important location.

As Chaos Dwarves work and live with fire and magma I think of slave huts at the surface in the shadow of big ziggurats from where the prophets command the lesser people. Huge tubes ventilate smoke and heat from underground into the polluted air and all buildings get blackened by this.

Most of the industrious life takes place underground where 90% of the facilities are. Huge Hashut temples dominate gigantic caves and at the deepest point there are lava pools on the ground and the ingenious daemon engineers can work their marvelous machines even without a forge fire.

Bridges and archways link this crazy, ever changing and growing chaotic structure which constantly threatens to collapse partially.

RedRaven:

I like the idea of Chaos Dwarfs having Assyrian styling and architecture with a twist (an evil twist, I mean).

While the Occidental dwarves live in mountain homes, I believe the Chaos Dwarfs dwell the plains, and thus build blocky, dark and sturdy homes.

http://www.bible-history.com/ibh/Assyrian+Houses/Houses+/Multiple+Story+House

http://www.biblepicturegallery.com/pictures/houses/Large%20house%20with%20three%20stories%20Egyptian%20la.htm

http://www.bible-history.com/ibh/Assyrian+Houses/Houses+/Construction+Of+An+Assyrian+House

http://www.bible-history.com/ibh/Assyrian+Houses/Houses+/Ancient+Assyrian+House

Ziggurats were religious buildings (with protection in mind, too), where practicality was not the main idea. I mean, they were incredibly huge masses of uncooked bricks (on the inside), massive and solid but for the internal galleries that allowed draining.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5417196/il_fullxfull.210115836.jpg

Assirian house:

http://editorial.dca.ulpgc.es/estructuras/construccion/Fotos/fotos%20prerromano/Figura20.jpg

Worthy link (amigos!):

http://editorial.dca.ulpgc.es/estructuras/construccion/1_historia/11_prerromano/c1113.htm

Another house:

http://www.seminarioabierto.com/tiempo17.jpg

Admiral:

I like the idea of Chaos Dwarfs having Assyrian styling and architecture with a twist (an evil twist, I mean).

RedRaven
Me too, it helps differentiate Chaos Dwarfs from anything in the Old World. Babylon 3D could be of some help, as well, for budding housebuilders. Note especially the open courtyard(s) which the domestic houses are built around.

For extra detail it might be smart to include some of that stepped crenellation or "dags" on top of the walls, to make the roof into a simple battlement if needed. Freestanding houses like these are bound to be found in outposts, after all, and they need to be defensible.

Admiral:

What the...?! I really don't want to discuss religion here but there exists a biblepicturegallery?!?!  :o

Herby
Doesn't everything exist on the Internet? :P

It's not religion we're interested in here, but history. Archaeology in the Middle-East had from the start a biblical twist. It was called "biblical archaeology", for starters.

Many of of the ancient places were first mentioned for Europeans in the Bible, after all, and many believed them to be entire fairy-tales and fantasy places until evidence for Babylon's and other cities' existence turned up. If you're looking for pictures and information on ancient Mesopotamian stuff, it's very often you stumble across them on historical sections of Bible homesites, of all things.

Of course, the pictures and info can be used regardless of what one thinks of Bibles or whatnot.

Chaos Dwarfs wouldn't have been given their Assyrian aesthetic during 4th edition if the Old Testament hadn't given the Assyrians the legendary image of cruel badasses to the core. :)

Skink:

Admiral
...Have you guys ever been to the British museum? A whole wing of the ground floor is recostructed as an ancient babylonian palace. Check this out. Plenty of inspiration for our beloved CDs!

Admiral:

...Have you guys ever been to the British museum? A whole wing of the ground floor is recostructed as an ancient babylonian palace. Check this out. Is perfect for Chaos Dwarfs!

Skink
I've not been to the museum, but I've often linked to Ishtar gate pictures for Chaos Dwarf terrain. Good tip, and welcome to the club! :cheers

The exhibition looks great. Things of note for CDs:

Images of Lammasus, Bull Centaurs and Tauruses should adorn walls. Skulls instead of the flower motifs? Stepped crenellations is hot for Dawi Zharr this year. Don't underestimate the power of bricks, which can be done in grey stuff over a plastic sprue structure.

Perhaps break up a flat wall by making fat stone/brick "buttresses", like on a ziggurat? That way you don't just get a straight line:

But an angular wave, which gives depth to the terrain:
_____       _____
|       |___|       |___

RedRaven:

That link is very interesting, Admiral. However, I’ve been looking for the volcano or any lava source, and couldn’t find any.

Usually, most of historical studies and publications focus on big stuff like ziggurats, piramids, pantheons and whatnot. To find info on arquitecture for the masses or civil works, one has to delve deeper. I must have quite some info in architecture books and library back in college, just need to look for it and post some drawings.

Yeah, I was looking for some descriptive sources, mind not the origin :·P

Of all those pics I posted, or, easily, those you can find through google images search Assyrian+housing, this stands out as stylish (of course, the architectonical characteristics and shapes, not the exact plot plan):

Note the following:

- Blockish
- Thick walls
- Use of bricks
- Thicker wall sections at corners
- Flat wooden roofing.
- Patios

While individual buildings could be thought as defensible by themselves, this wouldn’t be the case within city walls. Even small strongholds would have a common wall, shared among some buildings, which could even be built using the defensive wall to save material. Having residences as self-defensible would be hard to combine with having practicable windows and doors, or general useability.

If you want to keep exploring, Persepolis is a good place to start with.

EDIT: That house-by-the-sea picture of yours just filled my mind with CD in full summer gear.