[Archive] A new FW rumour

Grimstonefire:

Check this out:

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2012/07/06/forgeworld-imperial-armor-aeronautica-and-a-rumor/

If they can produce a “mini codex” for salamanders, why not a mini armybook for CD?

Animatone:

VERY COOL INDEED!

I agree it wouldn’t be very difficult to make a mini book for the CD, but then again it seems that FW usually makes three 40K related products for every one WH so I could reasonably see them pumping out a lot of 6th edition 40k stuff now with the new release and then down the road maybe a CD book would come out after people complain enough out the CD’s being broken and/or not an “official” list. Either way though the idea of FW world having more of a presences in the GW world is something we’ve already been seeing over the years and something I’m a big fan of myself, not too mention I like the idea of being able to pick up FW stuff at local retailers rather then having to order direct from overseas.

Nice find! Thanks for giving use hope for a “real official book” someday.

Skink:

VERY COOL INDEED!

I agree it wouldn't be very difficult to make a mini book for the CD, but then again it seems that FW usually makes three 40K related products for every one WH so I could reasonably see them pumping out a lot of 6th edition 40k stuff now with the new release and then down the road maybe a CD book would come out after people complain enough out the CD's being broken and/or not an "official" list. Either way though the idea of FW world having more of a presents in the GW world is something we've already been seeing over the years and something I'm a big fan of myself, not too mention I like the idea of being able to pick up FW stuff at local retailers rather then having to order direct from overseas.

Nice find! Thanks for giving use hope for a "real official book" someday.

Animatone
Mh. Don't know. Might be that I'm a little negative about CDs ever seing an army book but my instinct says: "never happen".

Karring:

GW doing FAQs for FW? That would make official Tamurkhan’s list… very very VERY interesting.

Chico:

As much as i’d like FW to go down that road, but i’d never trust a rumour so i won’t get my hopes up.

RichardC1967:

Check this out:

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2012/07/06/forgeworld-imperial-armor-aeronautica-and-a-rumor/

If they can produce a "mini codex" for salamanders, why not a mini armybook for CD?

Grimstonefire
Heck, I'd even settle for a digital download like the Black Library does for some of its books...

theforgefather:

If FW did a mini codex as an expansion to each GW codex, that would be cool! Rather than £50-£60 on a large, heavy, expensive book that often contains more than 1 army, FW would make a load more sales on their products that way.

Grimstonefire:

I will keep my ears/eyes open on this rumour, but my old reliable rumour source who has proven to be mostly correct has not heard anything about this.

Murdock129:

The thing is the number of Mini-Codexes they could easily pump out, I’m not saying codexes/army books are easy to write, but they have enormous amounts of things they can do. As well as evolving the current armies

In Fantasy for example

Chaos Dwarfs

Araby

Nippon

Fishmen

Marienburg

Halflings

Zoats Fimir

Albion

Kislev

Sarsorta

Tilea

Estalia

Werewolves

Hobgoblins

Norse

While in 40k

Space Marine Legions

Genestealer Cults

Demiurg

Praetarions

Hrud

Ordo Mechanicus

Exodites

Kroot/Vespids/Tallerians/Other Tau Allies

Interex

Abhumans

Scythians

Zoats

Original Races

That’s all I could come up with off the top of my head, but I’m sure there’s much more they could all come up wit

rpitts2004:

The thing is the number of Mini-Codexes they could easily pump out, I'm not saying codexes/army books are easy to write, but they have enormous amounts of things they can do. As well as evolving the current armies

In Fantasy for example
Chaos Dwarfs
Araby
Nippon
Fishmen
Marienburg
Halflings
Zoats Fimir
Albion
Kislev
Sarsorta
Tilea
Estalia
Werewolves
Hobgoblins
Norse

While in 40k
Space Marine Legions
Genestealer Cults
Demiurg
Praetarions
Hrud
Ordo Mechanicus
Exodites
Kroot/Vespids/Tallerians/Other Tau Allies
Interex
Abhumans
Scythians
Zoats
Original Races

That's all I could come up with off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's much more they could all come up wit

Murdock129
Some of those I don't see ever getting produced, but halflings I think would be a pretty big seller. REVENGE OF THE MOOT

Grimstonefire:

There are two problems I can forsee here; people constantly asking when X army will get more models and when X armylist will get a FAQ/errata and more importantly an update.

You look at how many of us are hoping for an update at some point and expand that over the lists above…

If this happens it would have to be one per year I think, with models for maybe 1 core, one special and/or one rare + a few characters.  All the others would just be entries in the list but no models.  They are stretched as it is just trying to get models out, let alone on time.

Bitterman:

Yeah… they’ve managed two Warhammer Forge releases (Preyton and Giant Squig) in something like the last nine weeks. It seems a bit of a stretch for them to suddenly go from that, to producing and supporting rules and models for 50+ new army lists, “mini” or otherwise.

Not to mention the persistently-rumoured Horus Heresy book in September, which seems likely to take up a lot of their time.

I’d love for this to be true (I like FW/WF stuff about a thousand times better than most of the stuff to come out of the GW studio lately) but I will believe it when I see it, and not before.

aka_mythos:

If FW does mini-armylists, its likely to be at the same pace they have done their different self contained armies and not the 50+ mini-dexes people want. My guess is that this all just part of GW’s attempt to make FW accepted in the mainstream more. Basic mini-armybooks that are easily swallowed utilizing their pre-existing work in an economical book size and with other books supported predominately by add-on kits.

Samanos:

i dont see it happening, not in fantasy anyway.

They already have the LoA, which from WF point of view is nearly finished as far as models are concerned why make a new book about them?

As for the other races im not sure either.

Murdock129:

I should point out I wasn’t saying they’d do the 50 odd I mentioned, just that they had a lot of options

aka_mythos:

i dont see it happening, not in fantasy anyway.
They already have the LoA, which from WF point of view is nearly finished as far as models are concerned why make a new book about them?
As for the other races im not sure either.

Samanos
The simple fact is that the price of the big books is an ~$80 barrier to entry for those interested in buying FW models. Mini-lists allows the price to come down without decreasing production value. GW currently sells books 1/3 the size of FW's big books for 50% of the price and there is no reason FW can't follow suit... which on face value brings up profitability even without the increased sales volume that would inevitably come.

That said, GW has been trying for years to get the greater gaming community to accept FW rules as being just as valid as GW written rules. I think CD have given them a road map to do just that... as more than any other FW product line, CD has seen a greater degree of mainstream acceptance. The next logical step is to improve the accessibility of such armylists and simply reformating them such that they are easier to update than the big books. I think its going to happen, its just going to be alot less dramatic than people make it out to be. In 10 years, FW's released ~4 ranges that could be a stand alone codex/armylist... I think that's the pace they'll continue at and that this is largely just a format change.

I think a good example of the type of double duty mini-list that Warhammer Forge should do and would work for their next book should be Dog's of War.

AGPO:

This is part of the general strategic move that GW are making to try and move back towards the casual ‘friendly’ game away from competitive tournament style play, something I (and I dare say most Chaos Dwarf players) am very much in favour of.

Although tournament style play and meta analysis dominates the online community, the majority of gamers only ever play casually in store clubs or with friends. The main reason players like these won’t try FW stuff is the difficulty in accessing the rules. You have to buy an extra £45 book before you even start to use your expensive new unit. With that in mind I think making individual rules more accessable would be a great move from FW. Ideally I’d like GW Studio to focus on the core systems and armies whilst allowing FW to produce the more quirky, perhaps less balanced stuff.